Hikikomori

Lost_Nomad

Hikikomori is japanese for social withdrawl. statisticly the japanese are the most shy culture in the world. the average person on the street would have difficulty to argue and vent out rage the same way people in the west do, again this is cultural and its about keeping everything in "harmony" that japanese even if they dont agree with you will accept or give an unconfirmed answer. if asked if they would like your help they would not give a yes or no riply but agian a unconfirmd answer even if they do want your help. this is cultural and many people from the west that go there find it strang and even annoying at times because they cant understand the risponses. Hikikomori is a total withdraw from interacting in sociaty. shuting him or herself away in their rooms only coming out for food or other basic needs, and only interacting ocasionaly with their parents. hikikomori can stay in this state of mind from months to years. again its cultural and you would think that mothers and fathers would be more forceful in helping their children, but japanese parents are a lot more soft and tend to give their children more affection than western parents who may forcefuly confront the child about his/her problems. the cause of this disease is usualy like in the west or other place in the world being bullied at school or the extreme cut throwt academics that have japanese kids going to cram schools after regular school so that they can get into a good university or college. the high pressure sociaty coupled with a culture that values honour above death has created an apademic of hikikomori that is well over a million this aside from the Otaku how are the extremely shy and would be our equevilants in japan. Japanese are a sensitive people as i said the most shy in the world, but that has not made them weak, far from it they are the second largest economy in the world and work very had (10-12 hour days). Many in the world actual look up to the japanese and try to emulate their systems, but for many of the japanese themselves something is deply wrong with the way they are living. the materialist and high pressure environment that they live in has created the highest per capita suicide rate at an avrage of above 30000 suicides per year. What we can realate to is the modern 'do or die' system that has many just left behind to stuggle. Our own struggles with SA/SP is in no doubt a part of a much larger series of apademics of mental , economic, environmental, etc.. that is not looking at all to improve without seriouse change in the way things are done. On a more positive note we as SA/SP sufferers clearly do not have a lack of capabilities but lack of selfesteam and I think that a lot of shy people put together could do some amaizing things, the japanese are a proof of that. JUST SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT :)

black_mamba

Lost_Nomad said:
On a more positive note we as SA/SP sufferers clearly do not have a lack of capabilities but lack of selfesteam and I think that a lot of shy people put together could do some amaizing things, the japanese are a proof of that.

I agree 100%. That was quite an interesting read thankyou for sharing.

All I remember of japanese culture (anime aside) is a few tidbits from studying geography at school - how strict the educational system is (que my film recommendation to battle royale; a reaction to the highly disciplined nature of japan?) ...and the shortage of living space over there. The thought of living there actually terrifies me, but the social atmosphere would definitely make for a refreshing change! :)

sensitive

Lost_Nomad said:
statisticly the japanese are the most shy culture in the world. the average person on the street would have difficulty to argue

really, this is so funny :lol: . this article is very good, thanks Lost_Nomad for this interesting information. tell me, are u intersted in japanese culture or what? :)

Chilling__Echo

ok i sounds like a stalker now but Lost_Nomad i seriously used to use that for a screenname online, i love it! you have good taste :wink: