How do you approach people??

Emosocks

I've been wondering how you can approach someone that you want to talk to? i'm a pretty socially nervous person and i find it difficult making conversation with people i don't know but i want to get better.

what do you say and how do you approach them without it being awkward or without them thinking your weird?? help please!!:thinking:

Emosocks

like your at a concert for example and you see one of people in it or just someone random who looks cool how do you approach them and start a conversation without it being really awkward or them thinking your a weirdo?

DepravedFurball

Walk up with a smile and have three specific things you can comment on. Where they got their clothes, where they learned their dance-moves, the last band who was on stage... and if there's a pause after you've run out of things to talk about, just claim that you're going to grab another beverage and that you'll see them around.

Hopefully they take the opportunity to fetch a refreshment along with you. If they do, then you'll know that they're at least into you enough to spend a bit more time together. From there, stay on the topic of music; their favourite bands, other gigs they've attended, if they have a favourite local haunt, that sort of thing. ^^

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Late comment but... I don't think the way of approaching someone without being awkward has anything to do with what you're saying... It's just a matter of body language. If you have some charisma, "do you like unicorns" will sound like an interesting conversation starter. If you give up an awkward vibe, "I hope they're gonna play X song" will sound... awkward.

Auroraborealis

I have social anxiety but I'm a hairstylist so in a sense I have to interact with people. Generally, I start a conversation by asking about someones opinion on a current event. If the person didn't look like they would know what I was talking about, I would simply compliment the person. A lot of people are nervous or anxious just like us..., it's good to use an ice breaker.

Kiwong

I feel about as comfortable approaching a pit of venomous snakes as I do a groups of people.

Kiwong

Yeah, I'm actually more comfortable approaching venomous snakes than people. I probably do it more often, too. :thinking:

Yep, Brown Snakes, Death Adders, Copperheads, Tiger Snakes, Rough-scaled Snakes. They try to get out of my way, and the one or two that have tried to bite, at least it wasn't personal. They didn't want to waste vemom on me.

MotherWolff

Banned
I've been wondering how you can approach someone that you want to talk to? i'm a pretty socially nervous person and i find it difficult making conversation with people i don't know but i want to get better.

what do you say and how do you approach them without it being awkward or without them thinking your weird?? help please!!:thinking:

Well, I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to approach and start a conversation with people.

Everyone has a different tactic to this, but what I do is I usually just take my chances and say "hello" or "goodmorning"(depending on the time of day) and make eye contact with them while talking. If the person replies back, which sometimes they are very rude and they say nothing back at all, I follow the hello or goodmorning with a how are you or how do you feel or are you doing alright this morning.

Give that a shot! You'd be surprised by how many different topics can blossom out of these simple greetings! Good luck!!:applause::thumbup::bigsmile:

MotherWolff

Banned
the problem for me is not ice-breaking but i have always fear to say stupid things

I kinda have that fear also. But I would try not to think about it so much. The more you worry about saying things you think may be stupid, the more likely you really will say those things. Just try not to focus on that so much, ok?:)

jimmy75

What about in situations where you're forced to socialize with people. Like at a grocery store or work?

How do you avoid people then?:question:

I don't have a job and only have human contact once a week when I go shopping. Whenever people come to my door I turn the lights off and pretend I'm not in.