How do you make friends with people over the internet?

bluehands

I know this amy sound a bit stupid but say I add them to MSN/whatever how do YOU start up a conversation?

black_mamba

Find a common interest, have a discussion about things you both love/hate/study/whats in the news. Don't worry if by talking about various things you sound random, its the only way you'll find out you'll get along. Oh and, use your imagination. 8)

Scottish_Player

As soon as i start talking to someone new on msn this is some of the things i ask them mosltey worked in in this order but in a more conversational kinda way.

Did you have a good day- that usualy gets the ball rolling :D
What do you work as ?
What kinda stuff you do in your spare time?
What kinda music you like?

Once the first question is asked it mostley comes naturaly from there (only online ofcourse :( ) and then i just find things we have in common to talk about.

One thing i learned is DONT spend forever talking to someone alot of rubbish, if you have nothing to say then just say you have to go now.Its better to talk for half an hour and then say Bye rather than boring someone with 2 hours of chat when you have nothing realy to say.Cause then people will just not want to chat and put you on block (or am i just being paranoid :? )

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

devil

bluehands said:

I know this amy sound a bit stupid but say I add them to MSN/whatever how do YOU start up a conversation?
:evil: :evil: make a bad girl goog

devil

bluehands said:

say hi what can i doi to make u nice

devil

bluehands said:

your a good person maybe had a good life

devil

[quoimimte="Hellraising"]Just start a conversation by saying hi.[/quote] :evil: im the devil hi...

Waybuloo

Say hi and ask some general questions to get a feel of what type of people they are like, u can usually tell from teh way they talk and their use of words.

it usually happens that u find some common things and conversations can flow from there. Other times i talk about silly stuff but mostly others find them fun so it could work for u.

Remember if u can't make friends with them online it's not ur fault, it takes two to make a conversation flow. If they are not in the mood in the first place or not so keen a conversationalist, then move on.

stormygrey

Scottish_Player said:
As soon as i

One thing i learned is DONT spend forever talking to someone alot of rubbish, if you have nothing to say then just say you have to go now.Its better to talk for half an hour and then say Bye rather than boring someone with 2 hours of chat when you have nothing realy to say.Cause then people will just not want to chat and put you on block (or am i just being paranoid :? )

:lol: i can totally relate! i had a similar experience.

SingaporeGuy

hahah, but i disagree on that man, seriously...

i dont mind people talking alot in msn..i love people talking abt their experience, especially SA, where i could relate with..hahah.. :D

aguppylife

They'll block you whether you do or don't. That's the new pastime on the internet. I swear everyone blocks my messages or they are lost in cyberspace. I would rather have the latter personally. :cry:

Milkdrops

I only have like 3 real close internet friends. (the sort of people who would honestly give a s**t if anything happend to me) and we write to each other send send stuff to each other. Theres others but there more like casual chat buddies who just dont take friendship as serious on here. In my case all the close friends I have met have been through arguments lol starting in chatrooms. It starts up then after a while calms down then next thing we are messaging each other sayin "no hard feelings" and become good friends. I guess chatrooms is the only way.

I personally think the best places to meet internet friends are forums like this where people have a lot in common, otherwise forums such as a common interest like a sports team's forum - I post messages a lot on a football forum and am chatty and friendly with people there, I am sure if I really had the motivation to do so I could arrange to meet these people, but I don't have the confidence to.

And the person I absolutely think the world of - which I mentioned on another post - I met her when playing backgammon, playing games against her and chatting and getting on brilliantly - things just seemed to develop from there - if you really click with someone then there is no reason why the friendship cannot last and be really amazing.

One thing I have never found to be very good is internet dating sites. I find most people are so unexciting - I can write pages and pages - and usually all I get back is a couple of lines and I think what a waste of time. It is a good place to meet people the internet, so many people use it, but from my experience it really is hard to meet those people who are people you really do click with and like.

Milkdrops

I guess the real beauty of the internet allows the average joe to be in contact with people from all over the world which the average person wouldnt be able to do unless of course there in some kind of job where they get to travel abroad or something which isnt that common.