How do you motivate yourself when you suffer from depression?

akala

If you do suffer from depression, what are some ways you motivate yourself to complete simple tasks

Lamb

Dancing to music. Sometimes drawing, having a conversation with someone that seems to care, fresh air. Looking at something that reminds me of a long term goal, or taking a nap.

Playing with my children, they aren't old enough to judge me and music helps. Being outside with the dog and the horses help, I think interaction with animals helps a lot.

lonelee1

If you do suffer from depression, what are some ways you motivate yourself to complete simple tasks

it takes a lot of effort sometimes. i just try to remember that things have to get done no matter what. i try to remember to respect myself enough to not let everything in my life get out of control.

doing small, simple tasks everyday helps you get back into life again. remember that you will feel better knowing you completed something. be easy on yourself too, but keep in mind that you're in control of your life and taking action is important and will help you feel better.

i know that it helps my self esteem when i do more.

Last edited:

MikeyC

Motivation under the pressures of depression is really hard to come by.

I find that listening to music and going for a walk help me out. Walking makes me feel better simply due to my heart having to pump faster.

Doesn't always work, though.

Kiwong

My current mantra is to focus on possiblities not problems.

I list the possibilities

running, photography, wildflowers, renovations, writing my books.

So when I am down I focus on these things rather problems. It gives me something to look forward. It's the distractions that help me.

Running does it for me usually. I go in plenty of races so when I am down I often find a race to enter so I have someting to look forward to.

I also really like photography and I go out with my camera on Saturday, so at work during the week I always have the weekend to look forward to.

Only focus on one thing at a time, realise that it does take initial effort to get the task started, but once the momentum is going it will get easier

Reward yourself when you're done

hardy

being aware...being with a strong personality...being with inspiring books...sleeping...knowing depression and anxiety are impermanent...reading buddha's teaching.

sometimes nothing works....time is a good healer.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Only focus on one thing at a time, realise that it does take initial effort to get the task started, but once the momentum is going it will get easier

Reward yourself when you're done

Yeah that's a good advice.

Personally I really have to go through some sort of "routine" to get out of the vicious circle that is depression. Usually I put the tasks aside and I focus on trying to get rid of the depression:

- open all the windows even if it's -20C
- go for a walk
- listen to music that usually makes me feel happy (avoid metal)
- avoid computer and screens or at least shut them off 1 hour before going to sleep
- cook yourself a healthy dinner
- take vitamin D and omega 3
- make a list of the tasks you need to get done the next day because you didn't do it today
- go to sleep early and set your alarm for 7-8AM even if it's sunday and you're not working
- Leave all the curtains open so that the light can come in the next morning
- Next morning: DON'T SNOOZE and start your day with no delay.

TableFor1

First I drink coffee to get things going, then clean with my favorite music - start with at least your common area and open windows to let light in. I find that when my environment is fresh & clear, it really gives off good energy and seems to oooz inspiration eventually. Clutter tends to crowd your body & mind and makes the room feel heavy. I hope this helps, at least a little.

Last edited:

TableFor1

Oh, another thing I do is make a "To Do" list... I list everything; from watering the plants, call a family member, to pay the bills. As you cross things off, you will see what tasks you "are" accomplishing. Sometimes it's hard to get moving when you’re feeling down, but the list does help me. Even if it’s something that takes only minutes to do, at least you know did it!

Last edited:

nerdygeek

I deal with depression on a daily basis. The only thing that really gets me through my day is listening to music. I usually have my earphones on most of the time so that I don't have to deal with the outside world and I can stay in the one that I have created for myself. Usually after filling myself with chemicals (cigarettes and coffee) and a couple of club/dance podcasts, I feel better. But of course, after the earphones come off, here comes the real world. (yeah it sucks)
Even though it's hard, try to find something that you like to do and use that as a coping mechanism. whether it be reading, exercise, walking, or whatever. Depression leaves a void that HAS to be filled. If you don't fill that void and occupy yourself, you'll just fall deeper.