how do you treat eye contact dysmorphia?

spaceboy135

Anyone know how to deal with this? This is definitely my predominant SA issue, probably makes up about 80-90% of my SA.

It's not that I look away from people's eyes out of shyness. It's out of fear that I'm going to scare them by looking at them (even my own parents, siblings, and friends). It started with an incident in my senior year of high school. Then in my freshman year of college I had some people tell me I had intense eye contact. Some people think I'm staring at them too hard. Sometimes people's eyes burn when they look at me, or they have to clear their throats, or they swallow, etc. Even if it's irrationally, I always suspect through some body language, however inadvertent as it may be, that I'm scaring them.

Missjessse tells me that I shouldn't think about it, shouldn't worry about whether I'm doing something right or not, not to ponder over my "performance", and not to think about it when I look at people. But it seems to me like there's concrete evidence, what I just said above, that shows that there really is a legitimate problem with my eye contact. I've gotten to where I try to make it only last a second or two then look away, then come back for another second or two-- which makes it hard to pay attention to what they're saying, as you can imagine lol. I think missjesss really could be onto something though.

All in favor of missjesss's advice say aye. All opposed, don't say nay lol, but give your own advice if you have some!

Because eye-contact dysmorphia is annoying.

scoobycrawler

idk maybe if you focus on something bigger and more important the eye thing will work out you know its okay to look down/away a little bit and you don't have to make eye contact if you don't want to.

Confuseddd

Anyone know how to deal with this? This is definitely my predominant SA issue, probably makes up about 80-90% of my SA.

It's not that I look away from people's eyes out of shyness. It's out of fear that I'm going to scare them by looking at them (even my own parents, siblings, and friends). It started with an incident in my senior year of high school. Then in my freshman year of college I had some people tell me I had intense eye contact. Some people think I'm staring at them too hard. Sometimes people's eyes burn when they look at me, or they have to clear their throats, or they swallow, etc. Even if it's irrationally, I always suspect through some body language, however inadvertent as it may be, that I'm scaring them.

Missjessse tells me that I shouldn't think about it, shouldn't worry about whether I'm doing something right or not, not to ponder over my "performance", and not to think about it when I look at people. But it seems to me like there's concrete evidence, what I just said above, that shows that there really is a legitimate problem with my eye contact. I've gotten to where I try to make it only last a second or two then look away, then come back for another second or two-- which makes it hard to pay attention to what they're saying, as you can imagine lol. I think missjesss really could be onto something though.

All in favor of missjesss's advice say aye. All opposed, don't say nay lol, but give your own advice if you have some!

Because eye-contact dysmorphia is annoying.

oh my god... thank you!
I experience that exactly.. almost word for word to be honest.. I can't even look into lenses of cameras for the most part because I feel my stare is too hard. I can never seem to find that medium relaxed look with my eyes. It really kills me man. I have a shifty gaze as well, going from there eyes to the scenary to there eyes to there shoes then back to there eyes ect.. Man I never even knew there was such thing as eye contact dsymorphia. I have to look into this now. Im so glad you made this post.
I dont know about you but I feel so sketchy because of it.
This is a major re-occuring problem with my anxiety. Almost on a daily basis at some point of the day I will face it.

hoddesdon

MissJesss is right - you should not ponder your performance. In Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, this is called rumination. Each time you ruminate over your performance, in your mind it becomes worse. You end up with an unrealistically negative viewpoint, which makes things worse.

What she meant was not to ruminate unproductively. Thinking about how to improve what you are doing for the future is another matter entirely. It is common for someone who has bad eye-contact to try to compensate by staring at the other person. This is over-compensation. Eye-contact only happens 70% of the time, so staring, as you describe, is also outside the normal range.

The next question is which 70%. Perhaps if you observe others that may give you some clues.

Last edited:

hoddesdon

I have a shifty gaze as well, going from there eyes to the scenary to there eyes to there shoes then back to there eyes ect..

This is called focussing on the environment, or disengagement. It is also part of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to adopt a task-focussed approach, in order not to distract yourself and others by looking at the environment. Hand-in-hand with that goes not worrying about yourself.

Confuseddd

This is called focussing on the environment, or disengagement. It is also part of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to adopt a task-focussed approach, in order not to distract yourself and others by looking at the environment. Hand-in-hand with that goes not worrying about yourself.

hmm interesting, I like where you were going with a task-focused approach and was wondering if you could elaborate on that. Like maybe focusing on what the other person is saying so not to let invasive thoughts enter my mind?

spaceboy135

MissJesss is right - you should not ponder your performance. In Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, this is called rumination. Each time you ruminate over your performance, in your mind it becomes worse. You end up with an unrealistically negative viewpoint, which makes things worse.

What she meant was not to ruminate unproductively. Thinking about how to improve what you are doing for the future is another matter entirely. It is common for someone who has bad eye-contact to try to compensate by staring at the other person. This is over-compensation. Eye-contact only happens 70% of the time, so staring, as you describe, is also outside the normal range.

The next question is which 70%. Perhaps if you observe others that may give you some clues.

It's hard to do that without paying no attention to the conversation, Hoddesdon. It's like I gotta keep on counting to 3 then looking away, then count to 3 again, etc...

DespairSoul

Spaceboy135,

yes i agree with u i too think i scare people with my staring, also with cameras i have hard times and think my eyes rentgen others:( The best is for me if i avoid look to the eyes but i will i freak out anytime if i meet with any eyes if i walk outside. My advice is to dont think about it and focus on some points around like a simple tree, or buildings this i do and i pretend i see interresting subjects in my live. Ya worse is if u really must conversation with someone. Positive thinking can help u overcome that. I know trought isnt so simple. Missjessse say it everything what u should practice day after day:)