How has being a member of this website helped you with your social phobia?

Reaching-Zen

I thought I was the only sufferer before I found this site. I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world with my condition. I enjoy reading the threads. I'm learning as much as I can. I'd like to try everything in time, and find a cure and then I will share it. Talking to others helps, and meeting nice ppl along the way. :D

weberriver

It hasn't really lessened the anxiety. In fact, I ordinarily come away from this site feeling even worse than before (which is why I rarely visit). I agree with a lot of what Sacrament said...this is a venting place, not a support group or somewhere to go for advice.

Honestly, it's difficult to truly relate to people here because many of us (myself included) are too focused on our own pain, on getting out our own stories, than on actually listening to others. Most of the posts are "me me me, I I I," with other people's stories just used as an excuse to pitch in with our own. It's good to know that I'm not alone in this, but after a while it does come across as kind of enabling. I'm not really bonding with other members, and I'm not finding solutions either. It's just yet another way to obsess over my problems.

Reaching-Zen

Honestly, it's difficult to truly relate to people here because many of us (myself included) are too focused on our own pain, on getting out our own stories, than on actually listening to others. Most of the posts are "me me me, I I I," with other people's stories just used as an excuse to pitch in with our own. It's good to know that I'm not alone in this, but after a while it does come across as kind of enabling. I'm not really bonding with other members, and I'm not finding solutions either. It's just yet another way to obsess over my problems.

People here have an anxiety or disorder of some sort and are looking for a way to fix their problems. Talking with like minded people along the way is a great coping mechanism and if cures are found for various problems, then we will hear about it. Finding what works... To me thats a negative turned into a positive. :D

Foxface

Not much for my anxiety but it's better then the other forums I've been on.

I've met my best friend here.

Shenmue

It hasn't given me a cure for my anxiety, but it has given me a better understanding of myself. In fact, before I came on here, I thought I was just a bit shy. But after analysing my thoughts, I can now appreciate what an emotional wreck I truly am. (Feel free to use this post as an endorsement for SPW)

bhn

^^ this !
On the bright side, it also made me place less blame on myself for all the wasted time and missed opportunities.

It hasn't really lessened the anxiety. In fact, I ordinarily come away from this site feeling even worse than before (which is why I rarely visit). I agree with a lot of what Sacrament said...this is a venting place, not a support group or somewhere to go for advice.

Honestly, I tend to agree with this. When I first came here I would have defended it and said you were wrong, but I've been here for a while and once you get to know people here, drama often ensues, and it can just make you feel worse. Of course, you don't have to get involved, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

I have seen my fair share of positive posts here, as well as advice. There are some great people here. But because of the nature of the disorder - the reason we are all here - there is quite a bit of negativity. I think that's to be expected, but I also think the people who come here to vent are criticized way too much, told all they do is complain. What do you expect, we're constantly anxious and feeling left out, most people here aren't going to be full of sunshine and rainbows. Let's get serious.

Kiwong

Ultimately this site didn't help. Unfortunately, a few months ago it became more stress than it was worth, depsite a number of good people on here.

I post regularly on other sites related to my interests and I find they are more helpful. This forum is the only one on the internet where my good reputation as a poster has been called into question.

I don't see any need to return here.

razzle dazzle rose

Hmm...well, I know I am not alone. That helps. And I have made friends here which is nice. Really nice.
But...I think it has made me too aware.

TOO AWARE.

Awareness is good...but too much of it can be paralyzing I have seen. Every experience I have had, now I see how I came to be in this state - and I fear it won't get better, though sometimes it is not as bad as I think it is. I can be just fine. Maybe I am just driving myself insane.

I have learned to limit my visits and posts here. That has helped a lot. But I still like visiting and posting and will continue to do so.

Bo592

I hear good advice here every now and then. I know people like to vent here alot but that because we all feel trap inside. I like it when people make thread on how to breath and stuff I thank it help in that way. I thank we need more people shareing how they got better for some more answers. SA is a hard problem to deal with.