how many of u unable to work for a while?

Pearl

Hey Jerim, understand your plight. In Australia we get welfare, must be tough in Singapore. Voluntary work is good to have on your resume cos it shows your motivated and it can improve your job chances in the future. Better than having a total blank anyway on your resume, hey? I'd love to work from home or learn net skills to earn some money, maybe you could do those. Definately you're in a stressful situation, it must get you more down than it does me. Good luck with finding work.

clairet

The work thing is such a big problem for those suffering from SP or SA - including myself. It is something I feel very strongly about.
It really annoys me that our condition is so hidden under the carpet (and misunderstood) that people have no idea what it is and how crippling it can be.
I know that in the UK, people can make a claim for incapacity benefit - which pays, well not a lot really, (I think about 60 quid a week). It shows that mental health issues still haven't really been tackled, accepted or addressed at all.
People suffering (and it is suffering as we all know) from mental health problems are treated like second class citizens, there is little help to help those with crippling conditions, to improve their confidence and get back to work with support.
I think a lot of SPs really do need guidance and advice and SUPPORT to help them gain financial independence and I feel that this is not addressed or even acknowledged at all in wider society.
I know a lot of help has to come from within oneself but at the same time some acknowledgement and support from agencies outside the family (hell even support and understanding within the family - lots of families still refuse to accept that the condition exists) would help people to help themselves.
Sorry for the rant but I find it all so difficult sometimes!

Mofo

What would be some good jobs for people with sp? I keep thinking of being a night time security guard. It seems like the perfect job for someone with sp until you consider the possibility of dealling with some bad people. Then it becomes the worst job. Huh...interesting predicament.

jerim

i guess its only people like us that will understand the severity of our probs.. not just financial but other aspects as well.People just dont understand~

Skyla

im working but its not great. i thought it was the job itself but i now think its to do with SA. its hard. i actually chose to work there because it looked "boring" (people usually say "the people there look boring") so id never have to worry about fitting in etc. but some time on, my problems are still there because "boring" people still talk, lol. its difficult if theres some kind of problem. when im not paid correctly or i dont understand something its difficult to ask. sometimes i dont so i dont even know if ive been underpaid in some situations. :roll: .
everyday i dread going there because i never know what to expect. whether ill get a difficult customer, who'll be in da staff room etc.

AsPerIn

Are you in sales? The office politics were a killer for me too, i had no way of handeling it. It is very easy to be taken advantage of. Normally if you have very strong work ethics and can manage yourself properly in a work environment. They usually will be less likely to try to take advantage of you. It's all about keeping a positive attude, sometimes you will have to confront the bad apples. Sounds difficult and even impossible but sometimes you have to step up and adress discrepancies, especially concerning your PAY.

4myself

I work from home but unfortunately it doesn't pay very much, I used to work away from home but I feel I cant cope with it anymore. Like some other people here I am considering doing some volunteer work just to get me used to being in a working environment again.

G22

Volunteering is actually an excellent thing to consider. Sure, it doesn't earn you any money as a regular job would, but it really does help in giving you a foothold on controlling / overcoming your SP. Think of volunteering as a first step... and after feeling stable, you can take the next step by getting a paying job. In fact, many places that have volunteers sometimes hire them to become full-time paid staff members after a while.

If anything, a great place to volunteer your time is at a local animal shelter. There's something about animals that helps us be calm, affectionate, friendly and so forth. That gentle nature sort of spreads, and we end up learning to cope better around our co-workers and the visitors who frequent the shelter. The next thing you know, you've kinda overcome your phobia, or at least to the point where you feel a little more at ease around people. It's a small step, but definitely a small accomplishment to be proud of. Look in to it and give it a try.
As the great singer / songwriter Bob Dylan once said... "When you ain't got nothing, you've got nothing to lose." :wink:

jerim

just to keep this up to date .. i am working now at a food supplies company.Mainly logistic side.. no need to interact much at all. :p I have to take a bus to work which suck.. cos i am still feeling very afraid of pple.Did manage to get on a bus but feels so terrified..thats the one thing thats bothering me though.

G22

jerim... that's GREAT to hear. Take it one day at a time, one step at a time. Sure you may feel terrified while on a bus full of people, but always remember that each day you do it, it's another day of conquering your fears. Seems like you're doing super great thus far, and this is DEFINITELY a positive step forward! Keep it up! :D

jerim

thanks G22 ..i will not give up .Hope u could manage to get hold of yourself too.Everyone is SA must support each other..we really need that :D

renegade

Yes, I was thinking of quiting school because i went through a not so good period, but after 3 weeks of staying home i went back...feel better now, I mean I'm not on the verge of going nuts and attempting suicide.

But i'll see how much I can resist going there. I'm thinking about my future job with terror cause I know that I'll need to collaborate with people to do it wright. :?

jerim

well no choice .. any job u will need interaction.Lucky for me ,i told my colleagues and boss about my situation and they understand and are good to me.Hope when u go out and work ,u will recover or find a job suitable for u

renegade

thx for keeping my moral up, we need somebody like you on this forum with all of us complaining. i'm glad you are doing well with your job, keep up the good work :wink:

Vonnie

I dropped out of high school because of my anxiety and I've never worked. My therapist told me about getting SSI because I was mentally disabled. What I do at home is I'm presently working on my first novel, which has been very theraputic for me.

jerim

Hi guys.. just to keep update i quit my job ..Everything is stressing me out..the bus..the job , i just couldnt take it.My bus trip is around 1hr and 15mins. and its killing me at times.I couldnt take it so i quit.I am disappointed in myself .......

Don't be disappointed in yourself, you were brave to tell your boss about your situation, brave to take a long bus ride... maybe it just wasn't the right job for you also. But you know you have it in you to try again!

I've been through quite a few jobs and am (finally) at a good one. Social anxiety is always an issue, but being at a job where you feel trapped just makes it worse. There are positive working environments and co-workers, hang in there!

Nytro

I havnt been working since June of last year. I feel like crap seeing my friends tackle those jobs like its cake. Working at Best Buy, doing sales, or waiting tables. I used to work at a bunch of food stores and when I was 14 at a public library.

Upside is there are soo many jobs out there to choose from its where your comfort level is, in which you can work. Currently im Trading stocks from home while going to college but there are boat loads of at home jobs you can do, God Bless the Interent!