How my parents reacted to my social phobia

Actually I told my parents I have social anxiety before, but they just don't take it seriously. Last time I asked them to bring me to doctor, but they just reacted like you have no problem and why you should see the doctor. I desperately need help but they just don't get it. They are not supportive and I am always feeling alone to deal with social anxiety. I was once even scared to pay money to a cashier. They won't understand how you feel but instead saying 'Why are you so useless?'
Yesterday I told them again about my social anxiety and I heard the craziest thing ever. My father said he studied psychology before and there's no such thing is social anxiety or social phobia. He said I am making it up. I am desperately looking for a job to cope with my social anxiety but my parents keep on saying it is okay for you to stay at home at this time and at your age (I am eighteen by the way). I mean if you stay at home all the time and not contacting with people, how can you overcome your fear? Why can't they be more understanding?

Xion

Actually I told my parents I have social anxiety before, but they just don't take it seriously. Last time I asked them to bring me to doctor, but they just reacted like you have no problem and why you should see the doctor. I desperately need help but they just don't get it. They are not supportive and I am always feeling alone to deal with social anxiety. I was once even scared to pay money to a cashier. They won't understand how you feel but instead saying 'Why are you so useless?'
Yesterday I told them again about my social anxiety and I heard the craziest thing ever. My father said he studied psychology before and there's no such thing is social anxiety or social phobia. He said I am making it up. I am desperately looking for a job to cope with my social anxiety but my parents keep on saying it is okay for you to stay at home at this time and at your age (I am eighteen by the way). I mean if you stay at home all the time and not contacting with people, how can you overcome your fear? Why can't they be more understanding?

My parents said the exact same thing to me too. And it hurts a lot!! No matter how much I want professional help, they just say the same thing over and over again. They would say there's nothing wrong with me, but, reality is the exact opposite of what they said.
When my sister told my little suicide story, my parents beat me up to a pulp!!!

arjuna

I had a similar situation with my parents. I really believe they could have acted better. There is a lot of ignorance around and not everyone is understanding. Hopefully you will find a job soon. I give you my support from here.

SadSally

I'm in a similar situation. My family doesn't believe mental disorders exists. Whenever I tell them i can't do something, THEY DONT EVEN TRY TO UNDERSTAND! It's so frustrating.

I had a panic attack attack last week outside the unemployment center, tears and everything, and I kept saying how I was going to die and faint. My mother was like "What kind of silly talk is that? Just get inside or I'll drag you in!"

When I can't pay at the cashier or go into the store, my brother is like "How hard is it? Just take out the money and pay" IF IT WAS THAT EASY I WOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM.

I've made an appointment to see a doctor this Friday. It's my secret, they don't know.

i guess you could try to educate them, but some people just don't get it. Do what's best for you and try to not care about their opinions.

williamreinsch

Very sad to hear :( I hope you find a way to show them. It's horrible how it's so swept under the carpet yet it's such a big problem that affects so many people. If your parents still don't understand after your best efforts I hope you find the courage to help it yourself without them (i cant imagine how hard that would be)
Best of luck :)

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Unfortunately, some people - including our relatives, can be quite dumb when it comes to things they dont understand or dont want to understand.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
My parents kept tellin' me I'm just shy... So why do I feel this overwhelmin' anxiety around people? My mum is just in denial I don't huv a problem, despite her constant need to be in control has contributed to my anxiety.

Since I'm always scared I say the wrong thing.

And some of ma family now think I'm autistic cuz you'll rarely get a word outta me in a group social setting. And I'm not as extroverted as the rest of my family.

Ah dinnae ken if y'know whit it's like be disabled ? But yer kinda an outsider by default. It's no easy when ye feel outta yer depth in social situations, so opt from being quiet. At least, ye don't end sayin' summit stupid that way.

Plus, ah huv trust issues which makes it difficult for me to be close with people.

fate12321

I never told my parents about my SA, but I know they will react the same way your parents reacted. All I can say is try to get a job or do something. The longer you don't have social contact with people, other than your parents or relatives, the harder it will become to overcome SA.