How people perceive your anxiety?

PokerFace

I'm in week trial, and today the Portuguese teacher said to me "you look so worried, you're so tense, already finished the race?". When she spoke it the whole class looked at me. Most of my teachers treat me as if I had Asperger's Syndrome, autism and learning disabilities. But I have a teacher I have found that unless I told SA. Him has particularly OCD and really understand my anxiety. How people perceive your anxiety? How do you handle it? Do you think someone could find out the truth without you telling?

colleenbixler

There was this boy that I liked who told my summer camp about his SA and everyone didn't really think differently about him. I think it's because they didn't really understand what it is. Be glad that your teachers are being understanding and too overprotective. The opposite is much worse because people force you to do things that you don't like or make fun of you because you can't perform tasks they deem simple.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I think those that have SA could possibly recognize some of the signs in other people easier.

But one of the common problems in having SA is we tend to 'mind read'.
We fall into the trap of thinking we know what others are thinking of us, about us etc.
It's classic SA behavior.

Personally, I have taken some steps in improving my SA, and one of the major things I have learnt is not to mind read.

In reality we cant really know what other people are actually thinking.
But as soon as we start to think we do...SA gets a strong grip on us...again.

We need to get into the habit of thinking more in the way of (this can sound selfish) 'I don't care what he/she is thinking about me'.
Over time we can learn to 're-train' our thought process to be better at this.
And once you do, you'll notice the improvement and feel much better for it.

Dimples

PugofCrydee you hit the nail on the head! I need to re-train my brain this way!

I've not had good reactions in the past about my anxieties. Unfortunately there is a massive stigma about any mental illness, but that has only been in my experience. People who've known about mine tend to use it by saying I'm boring and unsociable but I realised even if I was doing "normal things" they aren't the kind of people id want to be around anyway.

worrywort

Yea I worry about this sometimes. To be honest I don't have much faith that the average person is very understanding of some of my SA behaviours. The way I hear most people talking about other people, it's not very pleasant. Most people tend to focus on everything that is wrong with other people and I find they often get quite worked up and angry about other people with little provocation. This baffles me. It doesn't seem to take much for a person to dislike another person. At least this seems to be the case with most of the people in my life.

So when I decline invitations, or don't join in banter and small talk, I'm pretty sure most people think I'm either rude or arrogant or just weird. A few may recognise that I may have social fears and problems, but not really care much. I think it'd take a rare individual to actually feel any kind of sympathy or fondness of me.

Solo Dolo

I think those that have SA could possibly recognize some of the signs in other people easier.

But one of the common problems in having SA is we tend to 'mind read'.
We fall into the trap of thinking we know what others are thinking of us, about us etc.
It's classic SA behavior.

Personally, I have taken some steps in improving my SA, and one of the major things I have learnt is not to mind read.

In reality we cant really know what other people are actually thinking.
But as soon as we start to think we do...SA gets a strong grip on us...again.

We need to get into the habit of thinking more in the way of (this can sound selfish) 'I don't care what he/she is thinking about me'.
Over time we can learn to 're-train' our thought process to be better at this.
And once you do, you'll notice the improvement and feel much better for it.

exactly. I mind read everything. I over-analyze everything. I have been finding it very difficult to re-train my thought processes but I am trying :(

dottie

I have found people take it three ways:

1. Aloof, snobby bitch.
2. Mentally deficient, mildly retarded.
3. Raging nerd.

LAM

When i was at school my "friends" didn't understand why was so difficult for me to speak in front of the class. They didn't understand my anxiety. But now it's a little different. I'm trying to not care about the opinions. And it's very important keep in mind that we can't read minds. It's not possible to know what someone is thinking about us.

* Sorry for mistakes in grammar. English is not my mother tongue.

Kiwong

Weird, strange, dickhead, head job are some of the labels I have heard.

I think some people view me with suspicion. A strange single man living in a country town = damaging stereotypes. Some people believe me to be gay, some shallow, other stereotypes I have been labelled are too hurtful to even talk about.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Weird, strange, dickhead, head job are some of the labels I have heard.

I think some people view me with suspicion. A strange single man living in a country town = damaging stereotypes. Some people believe me to be gay, some shallow, other stereotypes I have been labelled are too hurtful to even talk about.

I've been called shy, quiet, awkward, and weird.

Ah can definitely relate.

• Shy
  • Quiet
  • Weird
  • Stuck-up
  • Awkward
  • Retarded
  • Freak

^ That list pretty much sums up how people perceive me in general, no' jist ma anxiety.