How to choose psychologist?

wise_wind

I am unsure about how to select the appropriate psychologist for SAD for me.

What should I look out for in the psychologist to ensure that the therapy will be effective?

Thank you.

DeLasDudasInfinitas

Well, in my case I was looking for someone who would make me feel confortable talking about myself. I wanted someone who would listen to me and try to understand me without thinking I was lying or exaggerating things. I was lucky and I have a wonderful psychologist who helps me a lot, so I hope you can find one who can help you as well. :)

dany

Most people agree that an important factor in determining whether or not to work with a particular psychologist, once that psychologist's credentials and competence are established, is your level of personal comfort with that psychologist.

A good rapport with your psychologist is critical. Choose one with whom you feel comfortable and at ease.

Here are some good questions to ask the psychologist before making a decision:

- Are you a licensed psychologist? How many years have you been practicing psychology?

- I have been feeling (anxious, tense, depressed, etc.) and I'm having problems (with my job, my marriage, eating, sleeping, etc.). What experience do you have helping people with these types of problems?

- What are your areas of expertise, for example, working with children and families?

- What kinds of treatments do you use, and have they been proven effective for dealing with my kind of problem or issue?

- What are your fees? (Fees are usually based on a 45-minute to 50-minute session.) Do you have a sliding-scale fee policy?

- What types of insurance do you accept? Will you accept direct billing to or payment from my insurance company? Are you affiliated with any managed care organizations? Do you accept Medicare or Medicaid insurance?

Knowing what you want from your psychologist can make your choice much easier.

Hope this helps!

Courtney27S

I think a lot of the struggle will just be trial and error. But if you start with someone and ever feel embarrassed or uncomfortable by their reactions, it's time to get out of there. I started with this one lady and sometimes she would get this look on her face like I was completely ridiculous. I ignored it for a while but when I finally found a better psychologist, I totally regretted sharing my personal problems with the first one. If you get the vibe that they're a judgmental ******* at any point, tell them "ok thanks, peace" and never return.. alright?