I am gettin worried

Anonymous

so this morning in 1st period I had to give a 5 minute presentation with somebody else. It was a small group thing. We had to "sell" a product we created. Thats not important though.

What worries me is I made myself a screwdriver with 3 shots of vodka and gulped it down before class. (screwdrivers are orange juice and vodka, if you didn't know) I am worried I am on the route to turn into an alcoholic =(

LA323

i wouldnt have any advice 4 u, cuz i simply couldnt and didnt get thru HS =( and thats made me very sad, ive started 2 drink also, and i dont recomend it even though it might help us at times, dont drink just 2 relax, cuz b4 u even notive ull b an alcoholic and that will make it even worse, ull have 2 problems 2 deal with. I drink in a way 2 feel relaxed but i mainly drink 2 have a nice chat with some1. Like SA, alcoholism traps u in its vicious circle and its hard 2 get out of it, and it only feed itself UNLESS u do something about it b4 it starts, i hope this helps u. TAKE CARE!!! and keep on fighting

Hype1010

Depends if it's a one off? Do you only do it when you have to do presentations? + how often do you have to do prsentations.

Hype1010

Anonymous

yeah, like Hype1010 said, it's not time to worry if it's just an occassional thing to help you through a tough situation

then again, this was at school, yeah? you're not like 7 years old?

Anonymous

I am 17 years old. I give presentations like every month or 2, so not a lot thankfully.

This, however, is the 1st time I've ever had alcohol before a presentation, and I must say that this presentation went MUCH smoother and I just did a LOT better than I ever have before. I didn't really blush or anything like that like I usually do.

As far as how much i drink. I drink every other weekend or so with my friends.

Yossarian

Hmm...I'm glad it went well and at the moment I wouldn't worry about becoming an alcoholic.

However it isn't a good habit to get into and then probably depend upon. I hope you can find a better way. I think the only way we will get better is by facing our fears.

That said maybe you could take a positive from it because you still did well. Alcohol may of relaxed you but it can't make you smarter etc so you are capable of giving good presentations....just a case of finding a way of relaxing and dealing with the stress.

Anonymous

well I don't know about the alcohol relaxing me. I am like a totally different person when I'm drunk, I'm very loud and outgoing and somewhat of an asshole. Makes me wonder what my life would be like and what kind of a person I would be if I didn't have SA

GettingThere

It would be a much better idea to get some medication to relax you - only for use on special occasions - than to resort to alcohol in that manner. Given your age then you may have a problem getting a Doctor to prescibe some.

So maybe you should work more in the area of developing relaxation techniques and perhaps even get some cognitive therapy.

Hamble

If you can keep the alcohol down with all the nerves jangling about inside you, then go for it. I've often considered having one or two before a speech etc but I just know I'll projectile all over the audience. Which wouldn't be good.
It's only to get you through the presentation right?
Even people without SA use "dutch courage" to get them through nervous situations. You don't have a problem.
It'd be a problem if you'd have to down half a bottle of spirits just to get outside the front door in the morning. :wink: