I am no longer housebound after 20+ years

R

rtisan

This is unconventional and not for everyone:

I was housebound, on and off, for 20+ years. During "off" times, I was able to go only a few blocks from my home. During "on" times I could only stay outside on my block.

I had tried almost every therapy out there, had seen a gazillion docs, tried all sorts of meds, even tried unconventional methods like hypnotherapy, accupuncture, a tapping thing, EMDR, etc. all to no avail.

I finally found a doc who did phone therapy and I paid her in "paintings" (I'm an artist). I asked her if she could prescribe xanax (I had never tried it before) and asked her how much I could take above the recommended dosage to finally get out of the house. She prescribed Klonopin instead and felt it was a better drug. The max I was allowed to take was 7 mg.

I took 5 mg. and went to see the eye doctor for the first time in 20+ years! It was about 6 blocks from my home. Next, I took 7 mg. and crossed the Golden Gate bridge to my boyfriend's apt. I had not crossed that bridge since 1985.

*You cannot drive AT ALL when taking these high doses. Someone must drive for you.

I just cannot tell you the immense eletion I felt! A few hours later, I had to go to sleep because of the high dosage.

This went on for about a year. Then I moved an hour away to live with my boyfriend and son. I had lived on the same street for 20+ years. I found that change was VERY good.

Within a month, I felt strong enough to actually get a job away from home. I took a very small dose of .25mg so I could drive. I found a job just a few miles away and started working full time. Normally, I would have to be with my "safe" person, but this I did on my own.

I worked there for 8 months.

Then the house we were renting was being sold. I had a terrible setback. My boyfriend of 9 years and I broke up. I moved back with my mom.

The breakup was extremely traumatic. I also had major surgery right before, my son moved in with his dad, I lost my cat was I was in the hospital, my recovery from surgery had complications, I lost my home, and I quit smoking, all happening around the same time.

I developed deep depression and constant anxiety, something new to me. Still, I went out, taking my klonopin.

I have a new boyfriend now, a new med for depression that is amazing and made it disappear completely, and we go out. The furthest I have been is back to the city, about 1 1/2 hr. drive.

I only take klonopin 2x a week because it is VERY addictive and only use it when I go out.

I am not cured of my agoraphobia and don't think I ever will be. I will likely remain on klonopin for the rest of my life.

I am going to start driving again and get a job.

For those of you who are stuck in your homes, there is a way out!