I can't talk to anyone without avoiding eye contact and looking towards them

Do you avoid eye contact while talking to someone

• Total voters

CursedSoul

Banned
This is such a problem for me. It's weird, I have a harder time looking family members in the eye rather than strangers, don't know why. But it absolutely drives me mad because it sounds like such a simple thing to do... "look me in the eye." Had an argument with mom tonight about it. She just has no idea how difficult it is, and i can't even put it into words.

Family? What??

I don't have a hard time looking most people in the eye, but sometimes holding the gaze can be difficult. Depends who it is and what the circumstances are. People who give off a certain vibe of aggressiveness/overconfidence I find difficult to hold his/her gaze, and people who make me uncomfortable because of past offenses (ie my stepfather).

Roman Legion

If I didn't rely on my glasses so much, I'd just always wear my sunglasses to cover up the fact eye-contact makes me uncomfortable to the nth degree.

U

user deleted

Roman Legion makes a good point.. I actually invested in a pair of clear-lens glasses. Although I feel like a total poseur, they actually provide a barrier between yourself and the person you're speaking with, like a comfort blanket. It hasn't helped me 100 per cent with eye contact, but it's made it marginally easier, and definitely helps with the talking to people in general thing.

CursedSoul

Banned
Roman Legion makes a good point.. I actually invested in a pair of clear-lens glasses. Although I feel like a total poseur, they actually provide a barrier between yourself and the person you're speaking with, like a comfort blanket. It hasn't helped me 100 per cent with eye contact, but it's made it marginally easier, and definitely helps with the talking to people in general thing.

Yes it is a very versatile shield to mask your inferiority complex! my pair got broken gonna get a new one after I get the improvisation up!

Like hipster shades?

Sophornox

Yeah, I have the same problem...it's nice to know that others are the same...I wonder what would happen if we all got into a conversation LOL haha, we wouldn't even be looking at each other the entire time!

My trick is to zone out and look BETWEEN their eyes so it gives the impression that I'm looking at them in the eye, while at the same time not looking too shady for not giving enough eye contact.... hope that is some good advice :p

Bugs

I've actually seen mean people looking at me and laughing at my face like I have no feelings, my feelings got hurt and I became paranoid about looking at people and started dodging glances and eye contacts with people as I feel they'll give that mean smile again and hurt my feelings even more.....!
I experienced that too :( It hurts.