I get anxious everytime my blood pressure is taken

ppaul

Anyone else out there get really anxious when someone takes your lood pressure?

as soon as they start pumping my heart starts racing cause im worried they're going to find out im uncomfortable.

Inevietably I'm often told my blood presseure is too high for my age. but i know its not cause ive had it done a few times when i didnt panic.

Chilling__Echo

hey ppaul, i get anxious but only because i invision my blood vessels popping cuz the blood is stopping, but i've never thought of it that way. have you seen amelie? that movie comes up alot on here but it's my fav movie but i remember a scene in there where the little girl is getting a check up from her dad and he always thought she had a heart defect because she got so little affection from her parents that her heart raced from getting attention from dad. different feeling, but same affect.

Arrrrgh

Yes I had that exact same thing. I told the doctors about it and they called it a "white-cloak" syndrome or something. Finally a doctor prescribed Propranolol to me...just 10 mg 3x/day, or before I had to get BP taken. It really worked, not just for that, but for other types of performance anxiety where I was thinking people would find out just how anxious I really was. I was 19 years old, and my heartbeat would race like crazy, and my BP, the lower part of it would shoot up to over 100. Since the Propranolol my BP is almost always normal.

GettingThere

ppaul said:
Anyone else out there get really anxious when someone takes your lood pressure?

as soon as they start pumping my heart starts racing cause im worried they're going to find out im uncomfortable.

Inevietably I'm often told my blood presseure is too high for my age. but i know its not cause ive had it done a few times when i didnt panic.

I have learnt to switch off my mind by looking away and just relaxing. If you think of someplace nice and comfortable in your mind your blood pressure should measure alright.

despise

yes. anyone who has taken my blood pressure thinks its way too high for my age (im only 16...) but i just get really really nervous and start thinking about breathing and i just get panicy because im scared they will think im not normal :oops: :roll: :?

Remus

Staff member
I get this too

even worse though I tend to feint at blood tests due to my phobia of neeedles

despise

i hate needles too. but i havnt fainted yet. :roll: but i do get really scared and i get all tense and the nurses always tell me i need to relax my arm. haha..thats a bit hard. stupid needles...