I have a problem focusing when reading

anxiety1408

I want to read, I have a few books that im interested in reading right in front of me. I have a problem focusing though. I have my computer in my room right in front of where I would like to read. I don't want to read in bed at night cos I think I wont input any information since i will be so tired and want to sleep.

These books interest me, their in the psychology field. The thing is, Whenever I get to reading one of the books I will read a bit of it, then next time I read it I decide hey I dont remember any of it hardly Im going to start again, so I pretty much am starting the same book over and over, barely getting anywhere. This has become a habit now. I also sometimes continue to read when I don't understand parts, Its like im reading just to finish it, and then I think to myself hey I didnt understand it so I go back and read again from the start.

Someone help me with this problem, because I really wanted to read these books, my mind just wanders and I keep re-reading the same parts of a book and im getting nowhere!

IcedEarth25

I'm pretty much the same, i used to be able to read a book while listening to music, but my habit became apparent when one minute the music was too quiet so i turned it up, then turned it down then up and so on til i realised i wasnt actually concentrating on the reading so it came to a stage where i was reading 1 page up to three times and repeating sentences until they stuck in my head.

To avoid this i would suggest a time out period of maybe 2 minutes just to clear your mind then begin reading and you may find that you actually feel part of the book once you get going, usually works for me but a clear mind always helps :).

anxiety1408

I'm pretty much the same, i used to be able to read a book while listening to music, but my habit became apparent when one minute the music was too quiet so i turned it up, then turned it down then up and so on til i realised i wasnt actually concentrating on the reading so it came to a stage where i was reading 1 page up to three times and repeating sentences until they stuck in my head.

To avoid this i would suggest a time out period of maybe 2 minutes just to clear your mind then begin reading and you may find that you actually feel part of the book once you get going, usually works for me but a clear mind always helps :).

Lol, sounds like me @ rereading the page/and sentences until my mind actually digested anything that I was reading. It was like I was trying to force myself to understand when quite clearly if I didnt try I would have understood lol. Music, I can read articles online with my music playing in the background, I just cant do it when I have to read books in paper form I just feel like I need a higher level of concentration and I cant digest the information with the music playing in the background lol. Thanks I will keep that in mind @ 2 mins to clear your mind, normally I just pick the book up and get straight into it.

I guess another reason is I have 4 books I need to read, 2 are normal sized and 2 are like big textbook sized, and I guess I want to read all of them and know more about all of them. And the fact that my mind is thinking about finishing all 4 books and having more knowledge on them doesn't help me concentrate on the one book that I am reading. Must stick to thinking in the present moment lol

IcedEarth25

No problems glad to help ;), yea im the same in that department too, trying to cram so much info in my head that after a while all the info dissapears completly then i'm back to square 1, reading should be a pleasure and a hobbie unless if its school or college work then thats a little different lol.

Silatuyok

When this happens to me, I try reading aloud to myself, and explaining the material to myself, if need be. Managed to gain a deep understanding of cellular respiration in this manner. Also, I'm a kinesthetic learner, so I pace while I'm reading, or rock in a rocking chair, or chew gum or eat candy.

anxiety1408

No problems glad to help ;), yea im the same in that department too, trying to cram so much info in my head that after a while all the info dissapears completly then i'm back to square 1, reading should be a pleasure and a hobbie unless if its school or college work then thats a little different lol.

Lol agreed, It should be pleasurable, I just find myself sometimes trying to force the information into my head. Funnily enough the less you try the more you understand haha. I'll try and work on it lol

anxiety1408

When this happens to me, I try reading aloud to myself, and explaining the material to myself, if need be. Managed to gain a deep understanding of cellular respiration in this manner. Also, I'm a kinesthetic learner, so I pace while I'm reading, or rock in a rocking chair, or chew gum or eat candy.

thanks for the comment :) Reading aloud doesn't work for me I start to concentrate too much on the sound rather than what Im reading lol. Im a visual learner, so I find the book route a bit more difficult lol But I am wanting to read books and expand my knowledge :) lol

anxiety1408

Not to mention there are ALOT of things on my mind, that need to be done lol. So what I have just done is written on my calendar, 3 weeks from now is when I will start reading, that is when some of the things wandering around my mind will be sorted/on their way to be sorted. So then I will be able to read with more of a clear head.

Aletheia

I'm a visual learner, but reading is so passive it does tend to put me to sleep. So I make it active: I take notes. Doesn't matter if I never see them again, the act of writing them helps etch it in my brain.

Problem sets help too.

anxiety1408

I'm a visual learner, but reading is so passive it does tend to put me to sleep. So I make it active: I take notes. Doesn't matter if I never see them again, the act of writing them helps etch it in my brain.

Problem sets help too.

I considered doing that today actually, I read on the net that it helps. So I got my Pad out and then I had second thoughts, Cos I thought to myself there's gonna be so much useful information I can't just sum it up, Im not good at summarizing!! I end up copying it all normally lol also the books to follow after this one are textbook size and more than like 400 pages so If I were to go about taking notes on them It would take me like forever lol

Aletheia

Well, I think the summarizing you do to take notes helps you shrink the material down so you can fit it in your head. Almost no one can remember 400 pages.

Sometimes I do idea webs, where I just jot down key terms and arrange them on the page to reflect how they relate to each other.

But a lot of text books give summaries at the end of each chapter, or in separate study guides. Just copying those might help you some.

anxiety1408

Well, I think the summarizing you do to take notes helps you shrink the material down so you can fit it in your head. Almost no one can remember 400 pages.

Sometimes I do idea webs, where I just jot down key terms and arrange them on the page to reflect how they relate to each other.

But a lot of text books give summaries at the end of each chapter, or in separate study guides. Just copying those might help you some.

Actually thats a point, there may be some summaries in these big books. I might give it another shot with the smaller books If I struggle again. But like I said, Im going to start after 3 weeks when some of the things I need to sort out are more or less sorted. do you know what I mean? When your mind is wandering and thinking about things, and whilst your here your not actually here. I need to clear my mind up a little bit to leave space for a book lol at the moment there's no capacity for it ;)