I think I might have SP/SA

Ever since I was little I was afraid of confronting other people, and I've tried but at the last moment I'd always turn away. I have had a few close friends over the years, but when it comes to talking to new people I have trouble. Also I have a lot of trouble with eye contact and talking to girls (which is why I haven't had a girlfriend yet and I'm already 15...)...

I eat lunch by myself, because I'm scared of sitting with others and I spend my free periods in the library instead of the cafeteria chatting like the rest of my class would...

I'd appreciate any help I can get. I'm a 15 year old high school sophomore.

Edit:
Reading other posts I also share other similarities too. I'm in my bedroom almost all the time I'm not in school, SAT class, orchestra, academic challenge practice/meet, or a family gathering. Also I've been bullied around (verbally not physically...my school is very strict with that stuff) ever since I was little. I have not been depressed or suicidal though...

Anonymous

Welcome to our world. Its definetly SP/SA.

Go to a psychiatrist before its too late. It must be easier to cure before it becomes a part of you.

Thanks. My parents recognized the problem and sent me to a general psychiatrist earlier in the year but it didn't work so well so I'm trying to find a pscyhotherapist, or a pscyhologist that deals mainly with this, or something similar to this.

Chilling__Echo

wow i'm impressed with your parents. here you see alot of people saying that people don't believe that they really have a problem, much less recognize it by themselves. good luck to you, very cool that you got some help, sometimes that's the hardest thing to do.

Thanks. :) My parents thought it was extreme shyness and tried to tell me "c'mon you can do it"...but they eventually realized that I do have the disorder (I think they probably knew for awhile but were just in denial...). Now that my parents and I are accepting it, now the goal is to treat it. So I'm trying to get some good books, aware my friends that I have the disorder so they could help me, and find a good psychotherapist in my area.

Anonymous

youre lucky. im 15 too, but my parents just think im really shy..there was talk of psychiatrists when i was going through an episode of panick attacks (about 4 a week) but i had no idea about sad so there wass no way i was going to go to a shrink...but now i know about it..and i really wanna go..but i cant talk to my parents about it...

Oh, basically I found out I had it, told my parents and they said "yea...we prolly knew it would come to this." lol. I was actually quite happy to tell my parents, because I knew now I could be on the steps toward improvement. To me my parents & sister & any part of my family are exception to my SA...I can really talk to them with ease since I've already learned through experience they love me and will never "disapprove" me which is the main fear of SA. My SA is basically a fear of people who even have the slightest chance of disapproving me.