I was housebound for 20+ years

rtisan

This is unconventional and not for everyone:

I was housebound, on and off, for 20+ years. During "off" times, I was able to go only a few blocks from my home. During "on" times I could only stay outside on my block.

I had tried almost every therapy out there, had seen a gazillion docs, tried all sorts of meds, even tried unconventional methods like hypnotherapy, accupuncture, a tapping thing, EMDR, etc. all to no avail.

I finally found a doc who did phone therapy and I paid her in "paintings" (I'm an artist). I asked her if she could prescribe xanax (I had never tried it before) and asked her how much I could take above the recommended dosage to finally get out of the house. She prescribed Klonopin instead and felt it was a better drug. The max I was allowed to take was 7 mg.

I took 5 mg. and went to see the eye doctor for the first time in 20+ years! It was about 6 blocks from my home. Next, I took 7 mg. and crossed the Golden Gate bridge to my boyfriend's apt. I had not crossed that bridge since 1985.

*You cannot drive AT ALL when taking these high doses. Someone must drive for you.

I just cannot tell you the immense eletion I felt! A few hours later, I had to go to sleep because of the high dosage.

This went on for about a year. Then I moved an hour away to live with my boyfriend and son. I had lived on the same street for 20+ years. I found that change was VERY good.

Within a month, I felt strong enough to actually get a job away from home. I took a very small dose of .25mg so I could drive. I found a job just a few miles away and started working full time. Normally, I would have to be with my "safe" person, but this I did on my own.

I worked there for 8 months.

Then the house we were renting was being sold. I had a terrible setback. My boyfriend of 9 years and I broke up. I moved back with my mom.

The breakup was extremely traumatic. I also had major surgery right before, my son moved in with his dad, I lost my cat was I was in the hospital, my recovery from surgery had complications, I lost my home, and I quit smoking, all happening around the same time.

I developed deep depression and constant anxiety, something new to me. Still, I went out, taking my klonopin.

I have a new boyfriend now, a new med for depression that is amazing and made it disappear completely, and we go out. The furthest I have been is back to the city, about 1 1/2 hr. drive.

I only take klonopin 2x a week because it is VERY addictive and only use it when I go out.

I am not cured of my agoraphobia and don't think I ever will be. I will likely remain on klonopin for the rest of my life.

I am going to start driving again and get a job.

For those of you who are stuck in your homes, there is a way out.

Nicholas

Hi and welcome :)
Interesting story, but I have a question that it's probably gonna sound stupid but I can't help asking: how on earth did you manage to find a boyfriend (who even stayed with you for nine years) if all you did was staying at home? Sorry if it sounds stupid to you, but since I have never even had one girlfriend and I DO go out, I just wonder. How did you meet them?

rtisan

online. It was a weird relationship at first because we stayed at my house ALL the time. He came over to my house to meet me and I told him about my problem after about a week. he had already liked me at that point, so he was willing to give it a try.

We had many many ups and downs. He complained about me not going out. So I started going out, taking klonopin. Then he complained about how I acted when on klonopin. So I just couldn't win. You really need to find someone you can trust and take baby steps getting out.

I have a new boyfriend now for the past 6 months, and I always go to his house. We go places together and I trust him. I did not tell him about my problem right away, just said I had panic attacks. He has them too so he can relate. Then little by little I told him more about my problem but I also told him I could probably go anywhere with him if he loved me enough. We were going to fly to PA from CA for my art show.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
It takes a lot of courage to be able to fight those problems and do the things you want to do. You're such a strong person, I hope you will be able to beat them completely someday... :)

Noca

Banned
A guy would do that for a gurl but theres no gurl on earth that would do that for a guy.

blue-roses

^ I would...mind you, I know what it's like first-hand; I can't imagine any of my perfectly healthy friends (or even the one that's got GAD) doing it for anyone either...

(Mind you, my friends aren't the most understanding bunch...in fact, since telling them about my GAD, SAD and BDD diagnosis I haven't heard from any of them at all. Great.)

Hellhound

Super Moderator
^ I would...mind you, I know what it's like first-hand; I can't imagine any of my perfectly healthy friends (or even the one that's got GAD) doing it for anyone either...

(Mind you, my friends aren't the most understanding bunch...in fact, since telling them about my GAD, SAD and BDD diagnosis I haven't heard from any of them at all. Great.)

Ok, that's just horrible of them... If they left you like that, they aren't friends then. True friends wouldn't leave you, they would support you.

Strange how life works out doesn't it? Laugh together and cry alone... So many 'friendships' that way.

agoraphobickatie

i just wanted to thank you so much for sharing :) although klonopin/any meds is not the route i want to take (my mother was addicted to klonopin), it does give me hope that i can find my own way and be happy again :)

thank you for sharing and best wishes to you!!!

rtisan

If you're housebound I really think it's a good idea to keep your esteem up so you'll stay strong and feel "normal.

I did this by working. I was married for the first 8 years of being housebound, and I wanted to contribute to income too, so I got various jobs on my same street. Though I had a college degree, I wasn't ashamed to do anything! I worked in a video store and brought my 2 year old with me. I worked as a stock person in a corner grocery ctore. I had an in home daycare for about 7 years, then began selling my paintings on ebay for about 5 years.

I made friends with other moms on my street and my house was always the "hang out house". It's important not to stay isolated or your spirits will get down.

My family really didn't understand my problem and that was okay too. My husband, and later, my boyfriend and friends did.

I stayed in my bad marriage too long because I was afraid to face the world alone with agoraphobia, but it got to the point where I felt my son was getting the wrong idea of what "love and marriage" was and I felt so unhappy.

So I divorced my husband and I will tell you I never felt so strong in my life! This is when I truly became independent, even with diabling agoraphobia and being trapped in my house.

dream

I have a question, Is medication the only way to cope with agorahobia,sa and severe depression?Which medication has the least side effects?

rtisan

Some people don't take any meds and do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which works well for them.

For me, I had such an extreme case (the longer you have it, the harder it is to manage) that meds (klonopin) were the only answer. I also use the 5 steps I posted for stopping panic dead when I am out and feel one coming on.

I never had depression until after my boyfriend of 9 years broke up with me and my doc put me on this amazing anti depressant which also has anti anxiety properties and makes you sleep all thru' the night called "remeron."

rtisan

For side effects, it's pretty much a "try and see' kind of thing.

Klonopin and other similar drugs like ativan, zanax, etc. are extremely addictive! Side effects are usually tiredness, dizziness. I woulod suggest taking them no more than twice a week.

For anti depressants, I have been on a low dose of prozac (docs like to give you an anti depressant when you have panic disorder because they help with seritonin in your brain) for years with zero side effects. This remeron I am currently taking makes me have bags under my eyes and sleepy. That's why you take it at night. No other side effects.

Pamelar made me extremely jittery and hyper.