I would like a penpal!

mismeek

i like writing letters and getting mail..so i thought why not get a penpal.. is anyone interested!?

mismeek

Yeah! I'll write to both of ya if you want! just message me sometime and we can exchange addresses! I'm so excited!! >.<

El.Sonador

this days most people are just using SMS and emails and facebook and myspace and million different other things ... to think of it, I haven't got a letter about 10 years ago ..so, I would really love to be your pen pal... it will be fun..

Morgan01

I'll do it! are we needing to do an aplication process now with all of the people interested

durda_dan

i'm in too, although i am in china could be rather expensive, wait a few months i'll be in canada again

recluse

I don't see why anyone would want to write letters these days. Much easier to click some buttons, and it's instantaneous.

I don't see why anyone would want to write letters these days. Much easier to click some buttons, and it's instantaneous.

It would be faster- more instant gratification. Maybe we could do a modern day type of thing and exchange e-mail instead of snail mail. But it is neat getting something in your real mailbox- not sure if I'd have much patience for it though.

MadCat

Nowadays it's emailpal more like it. I mean, we're already talking online. Written letters would just slow down stuff I'd think. Maybe 15 years ago it would have been a better time.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I know this thread is uber old, but seeing as it already exists and it's easier to revive than make my own thread I thought I would.

So would anyone be interested? I'm not sure if I want to yet, but I figure I have envelops, I have stamps, and am always looking for fun/productive things to do in my free time. Plus widen my horizon of communications to another medium would be great!

I know in this day and age email has replaced the written letter, I think it'd be nice to have to wait a few days or a week before getting a reply back though. I'm on the computer all the time, and do not have so much to say to write back and forth on a daily basis anyway ::p: And I don't know, at least for me a letter seems more personal, more real to me. It's not just an afterthought, actually have to think about what you're going to write!

Well if anyone's interested, feel free to PM me, the more the merrier!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, preferably people from the US. If someone was really, really, really interested who's from another country I may be mess with the international mail system, preferably not.

Last edited:

davidburke

that sounds like an interesting idea. what you would you say though? i know we interact a whole lot more here but i would feel i would have to send something more meaningful and longer if you get what i mean and i don't feel i would have anything interesting enough to write. might try it out though if someone is interested and see how it goes

foyle

this days most people are just using SMS and emails and facebook and myspace and million different other things ... to think of it, I haven't got a letter about 10 years ago ..so, I would really love to be your pen pal... it will be fun..

Yes, people do not bother to write a letter no more, not even in birthdays, Christmas or when on holidays. :sad:

foyle

that sounds like an interesting idea. what you would you say though? i know we interact a whole lot more here but i would feel i would have to send something more meaningful and longer if you get what i mean and i don't feel i would have anything interesting enough to write. might try it out though if someone is interested and see how it goes

Remember when, before the internet, we used to send postcards every time when we went on holidays. We could sum up two weeks 24/7 of landscapes, museums, cathedrals, squares, monuments people, hotel, restaurants, etc. in a few lines.

I loved to receive postcards of travels, birthdays and Christmas. Now, the 99% of the post are bank statements and supermarkets offers. :idontknow:

GraybeardGhost

Once upon a time, before e-mail, before cell phones and texts, when I was a love-struck teenager—which happened quite often, as I recall—I wrote many a letter to the young ladies I admired. Most of them wrote back, sending postcards and letters—envelopes brimming with mystery and excitement.

Nothing thrilled me more than to open the mailbox and find one of these paper treasures inside. One might have a curious lump in the corner, suggesting some little gift enclosed. What could it be? Another might bear an intoxicating fragrance or the pastel impression of a kiss. Some brought elation, some heartbreak, but they had in common a certain quality sadly absent in all our modern techno-gimcrackery: they were real. They were written and addressed by hand, with a pen, on paper. Each letter was something I could carry in my pocket or tuck under my pillow at night. Each was something I could hold in my hand, knowing that she (whichever "she" she was at the time) had held it in her hand, too, knowing that she had put something of herself into it, and that that something was now with me. You can't do that with a text. You can't e-mail a fragrance or a kiss.

Somewhere in the rubble of my life, I have a box containing every one of those letters—a box of smiles and tears, of faded promises, of forevers that proved surprisingly short-lived. It's a box of dreams that once I shared with someone who was the center of my world—and the someone after her, and the someone after her—then set aside to follow other dreams. My youthful love has faded, and those dreams have turned to dust, as dreams will do, but the memories in that box are just as solid, just as real, as the day they were delivered in the mail so long ago. I haven't opened it in years, and to tell the truth, I'm not sure where it is, but I have priceless treasures in that box, wherever it may be. I think I'll keep it for a while.

Last edited:

mixedupgirl

Once upon a time, before e-mail, before cell phones and texts, when I was a love-struck teenager—which happened quite often, as I recall—I wrote many a letter to the young ladies I admired. Most of them wrote back, sending postcards and letters—envelopes brimming with mystery and excitement.

Nothing thrilled me more than to open the mailbox and find one of these paper treasures inside. One might have a curious lump in the corner, suggesting some little gift enclosed. What could it be? Another might bear an intoxicating fragrance or the pastel impression of a kiss. Some brought elation, some heartbreak, but they had in common a certain quality sadly absent in all our modern techno-gimcrackery: they were real. They were written and addressed by hand, with a pen, on paper. Each letter was something I could carry in my pocket or tuck under my pillow at night. Each was something I could hold in my hand, knowing that she (whichever "she" she was at the time) had held it in her hand, too, knowing that she had put something of herself into it, and that that something was now with me. You can't do that with a text. You can't e-mail a fragrance or a kiss.

Somewhere in the rubble of my life, I have a box containing every one of those letters—a box of smiles and tears, of faded promises, of forevers that proved surprisingly short-lived. It's a box of dreams that once I shared with someone who was the center of my world—and the someone after her, and the someone after her—then set aside to follow other dreams. My youthful love has faded, and those dreams have turned to dust, as dreams will do, but the memories in that box are just as solid, just as real, as the day they were delivered in the mail so long ago. I haven't opened it in years, and to tell the truth, I'm not sure where it is, but I have priceless treasures in that box, wherever it may be. I think I'll keep it for a while.

Awww this brought a tear to my eye. I agree letters are much more exciting then electronic mail.

Edit - I also have a big box of keepsakes too.....I think I will keep it till i die

Ithior

I never really had a penpal or anything like that.

My sister has a penpal and she also exchanges letters with her boyfriend from time to time (they live in different countries).

I'd like to have a penpal too I guess.