IBS

outside_looking_in

Oh yeah ... my parents suffered with it too and I just accepted it as a hereditary tendency for years!

I comfort eat too ... have tried being veggie, food combining, dairy free and detoxing (Carol Vorderman 2wk mini detox), with variable results. Something (beans or potatoes I think) upset my tum really badly on the detox, which was a shame as otherwise I was feeling much more alert and healthy! :?
Best results I had was with food combining -- you don't eat starch and protein at the same meal as they require different chemicals to properly digest them, and try to leave 3-4 hrs between meals (fruit, veg and some things like yoghurt are neutral). While I was hungry some of the time I do remember how comfortable my stomach felt! So why didn't I stick at it? Good question ... it was a big inconvenience to stick to strictly, but I'd give it another go if I went into a real decline.

I think it's partly down to total stress in your life though, counting untreated food intolerance as a stress ... recently my other half went away for a week (and much as I love him he's a very demanding Virgo) and I ate such a load of whatever I felt like, including an entire 15 portion chocolate cake (over 3 days!!), felt great ... and lost 4lb. Figure that one out. (Though I seem to remember Bridget Jones noticed a similar effect!:D)

JWH

Oh yes. I did, so much so that I was afraid to leave the house or use any sort of transport.

I had to take Imodium before I went everywhere before and now I can pretty much feel normal. I had no warning before (sorry for the graphic) and I had several panic/near shit attacks because of it.

For me, a change in diet and desensitisation worked really well. Fat is the main culprit for me so cutting out the added fats in my diet has helped greatly. I now can actually feel if I need to go, not the urgency. Cutting out binging and comfort eating is the only way for me to feel comfortable - I do eat out every weekend and if I eat oily food it disrupts my digestion for 3-4 days.