illegal drugs cause sp?

hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone here thinks that illegal drugs caused their sp, i was a regular canabis smoker for about 4 years and took other drugs like speed & estacy but not as often, do any of u think that illegal drugs caused your sp?

blubs

Looking back, I think that my social phobia had already started at Secondary school because I was bullied...so although I was ok with my friends or in my class, I used to hide at breaks and lunch and I wouldn't speak to anyone I didn't already know.
But then when I was 18/19 I took acid and had a few really bad experiences. This definately tipped me over the edge...thats when I stopped being able to sit in a group of people and when I developed a nervous twitch 8O

FNA

I know I had problems before I started smoking and being high in social situations definately did not help, but if I was feeling really depressed or my emotions were feeling backed up, it helped to have a quick change o fmind.

Danfalc

Banned
I was started smoking weed when i was about 14 to cope with living at home, got chucked out after i finished secondary school, really went off the rails for the next few years, i experimented with all sorts of stuff taking e's, speed, coke , Finaly i realised how deep and out of controll i was getting.Hit 18 and decided i had to get my act together, kicked the harder stuff no worries, but when i quit weed.. thats when i was hit with social phobia.

Sorry anyway your original question, i dont think smoking weed (or any of the other crap)caused social anxiety on its own,But i think it definatley contributed to it without a doubt, and i also think if i wasnt doped up daily which i was, i maybe would of caught it at an earlier stage

Danfalc

Banned
Just thought id mention a few things on this subject about which drugs should be avoided by us with sp.Sorry if it sounds like im trying to preach or somthing.

Anyways Exctasy
Should definatley be avoided by us sp'ers, the fake confidence it would give us could make it addictive in the sence that people could try and self med themselves on it.Which is bad as if this is taken long term could lead to serious new health issues and the worsening of current health issues.Even in small use extacy can worsen anxiety and depression.

Ive read that taking extacy on anti-depressants (and probaly other med's aswell)can be really dangrous as it can lead to somthing called seretonin overdose which can be fatal.

Speed (amphetamines)@cocaine (stimulants)
The same risks apply to speed and coke, that apply to Exctasy.Maybe one difference being that cocaine use is possibly easier to get addicted to.Also speed and coke affect the chemical dopamine rather then seretonin, which i thing could also cos problems with meddication aswell.Heavy use of speed or coke can also make someone quite volatile and prone to anger.

Crack (crytstalised form of coke which is smoked insted of snorted from a powder.)
Crack is extremley addictive, this might sound like im exagerating, but people often cant stop themselves from buying more right after they have crack as its an extremley powerfull buzz you get,but it only lasts for a short while.Simlar dangers apply to crack that apply to all the other drugs mentioned.But it is known that heavy crack misuse can trigger physcohis and bad paranoia.Crack also affects dopamine rather than seretonin.

Heroin
Heroin is probaly one of the most addictive street drugs about, and the sad fact is,in most cities its easier to get hold of heroin than it is to buy cannabis.Chances of addiction for us sp'ers are probaly even greater, as the sedating affect would instantly get rid of our anxiety.The health problems with heroin are its addictiveness.Also there is risk of overdose if you inject rather than smoke.Also you could be killed if you didnt inject yourself probaly as a big trapped air bubble in the needle would kill you instantly if it went unoticed.Not to mention the collapse of vains if you inject on a regular basic.Withdrawal from heroin is an extremley unpleasant experience which keeps so many people addicted to it sadly.
Im not posatvie on this but i think drinking@heroin is a bad idea, but i know that its not good to mix barbituates or sedatives, as heroin slows your heart and lungs down, if you took barbituates or sedatives you would possible slow it down too much and your respitory system would stop and so would your heart.

Remus

Staff member
they didnt cause it with me but helped make it a whole lot worse, luckily gave them up long ago

I see alot of people with SA syptoms from drug abuse, it does wear off though given time

moonbabe

Hi guys
I know ecstacy, speed, acid, and cannabis ( occasional recreational use may i , and long ago lol) got me where i am today.
I think I was always predisposed to suffer anxiety depression etc. But adding all those drugs that messed about with the chemicals in the brain insured that I had them, probably stronger than I ever would have.
I would say about 75% of my friends that were doing the same things as me, have all suffered from either depression, anxiety or both over the years. Has to make you wonder eh
Jules

Farrizle

to be quite frank,drugs are illegal for a reason.they may not be a direct cause in all causes,but they can aggravate,trigger or prolong anxiety disorders.my GAD came on immediately after worrying myself half 2 death whilst in a drug induced state.was a legal drug (should be made illegal :p ) called hawaiian baby woodrose seeds,which are a natural hallucinogenic continaing LSA.they basically triggered it,but i believe i was already slightly susceptible,and a little stress & a psychedelic drug set me off....bugger!!! :?

4myself

I agree with most people that although drugs usualy dont cause the problem in the first place they can make it worse. Congratulations to everyone who has quit taking drugs and smoking!. I was a drug user and a heavy drinker for years. I rehabed at the begining of last year and now I am learning to live without the "Dutch courage" lol. I think with social drugs like alcohol it just prolongs the situation, making it harder when you do give up whatever substance your using.

shimple

They didn't start the problems, but definitely made it worse for me. A few years ago I spent a weekend on crystal, went to a new job on monday, and had the worst panic attack of my life. So bad I just walked out.

4myself

I dont. I used to but I've seen how it cracks people up mentally (not in a good way), myself included. I quit about a year and a half ago and I'm glad I did!. So many of my friends have ended up with psychosis, which was caused by drugs, mainly weed. I had a very unpleasant bout of psychosis several years ago caused by dope and believe me I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
I know you have a right to live your life however you choose but I honestly would tell anyone "don't do it, seriously!".

James23

I defintetly think drugs cause my SP, because i was an outgoing kid all the way until my senior year in highschool. That's when i had a couple bad experiences with LSD. I totally stopped taking drugs for about a year and got on paxil. I seemed to be getting better, but thats when i seem to get into trouble, because when i start feeling better i start going back to the drugs because i would always want to continue with my old life style. After i got better the first time i wouldn't take lsd, just did alot of drinking and occasionally smoked weed. But then my ex-girlfriend turned me on to ecstacy, big mistake, because i started eating it everyday and i would eat like 10 pills a night because it would make me feel like i thought i was supposed to feel. Well that lasted for about a year and i got all depressed again and had to go back on medicine, but as soon as i started feeling better again, i forgot all about how shitty i felt, and i started taking the drugs again, only this time i was taking a shitload of psychedelic drugs. I was eating like a quarter ounce of mushrooms a day for like 4 months straight, not to mention all LSD i was eating. While i was doing that i felt like i would never get sick again. I was eating a ton of xanax too. and drinking very heavily. I would eat my whole prescription of xanax in about 2 or 3 days. That's 120 pills. I'm surprised i'm not dead. Well then i got sick again and i tried to get back on paxil, but it didn't work that time, so i tried all the same drugs and i just kept getting worse. So then i started smoking crack, i was trying anything to make myself feel better. Well that had the exact opposite effect. I became addicted immediately and i hated every second of it but i couldn't stop. It made my SP a million times worse but i found that i was stealing to get it. Crack is the devil. Well i finally beat the crack about 4 and half months ago, and thats how long i've been sober, but i just started taking effexor xr about 3 weeks ago and i'm hoping to god it starts working because i'm in hell right now. I know i wrote too much but i had to get that out. Best of luck to ya

Morgs

1984 said:
hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone here thinks that illegal drugs caused their sp, i was a regular cannabis smoker for about 4 years and took other drugs like speed & estacy but not as often, do any of u think that illegal drugs caused your sp?

It properly didn't cause it but could have made it worse i smoke weed every day since year 9 {fist smoked when i was 12} but don't know where id be without it. It made me go out and look for it and have always been a friend of a dealer. and 3 weeks ago went back to my home town an used X amphetamines coke crack and GHB and it made every thing a lot worse. got go parent home

advan

Weed definately made me more antisocial. I love mushrooms though. It makes me the most social person, I dont care what I say at all. Its great.

4myself

I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone on here who has kicked a drug or alcohol problem. It takes a lot of hard work, strength and determination. Way to go! :)

DazedNConfused

Smokes

I agree. I used to smoke weed all the time (One 6-Month stretch when I was on unemployment, I was burning every day). As recently as a year ago, I was smoking it (but only on occasion, say once every month), and I have to admit, it did make me anxious around people. I would be intimidated by just about anyone, constantly worrying about what they were thinking about me, if they knew I was high and was gonna call the cops, ect.

Regarding cigarettes, never thought that could be feeding my SA, too. Food for thought.... At this point, I would do just about anything to get rid of the SA and become normal (if there is such a thing as normal), but i'm afraid the withdrawal off cigarettes would mess me up even more.

angiepangie

its so true

Guys i used to be a little shy at school and lack confidence ect but grew strength as i got older.I visited south america to become an interpriter and learn fluent spanish.anyway at my cousins graduation party i smoked some weed which was fine but the next day i sat at the head of a dinner table with forty people and froze i couldnt lift my fork to my mouth without shaking.I ran and ever since have suffered with awfull sp.I KNOW it was the drugs and as i watched my ex destroy himself on weed he never got sa just bad moods.He was devastated when i got home as i was a different woman and soon left.Its easy to hear people say your beautifull and lovely but the day i smoked that changed my life. Please dont do drugs.