I'm disappointing my family. What should I do??

PrincessKitty

I'm 22 years old and I've just recently quit my university course because I hated it. I was learning to be a sound engineer but what I really want is to perform on stage and sing.

I have been doing this course for a year and I never liked it, so a couple of weeks ago I told someone about everything what's happening. She told me to follow my heart and do what I want to do.
What I really want to do is move to Japan and work in the Music Industry there, and go to university in Japan to do so.

Now I told my family and also my mum's friends are really upset with me.
But they don't like what I'm doing at the moment, they said I should carry on the course. But I don't want to do that :crying:

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :crying:

Last edited:

DeLasDudasInfinitas

Make your dreams come true! :)

It's your life, you should be free to decide what you want to do. They should support you, I mean, if you love someone, you want them to be happy and this is what makes you happy. I think that maybe they are afraid because travelling and living in Japan is difficult and they don't want you to get hurt. So, if I were you I would work hard to prove them that I can do it.

I hope that everything goes well. It's going to be difficult but don't give up! If some people can do it, why can't you? :)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I'm 22 years old and I've just recently quit my university course because I hated it. I was learning to be a sound engineer but what I really want is to perform on stage and sing.

I have been doing this course for a year and I never liked it, so a couple of weeks ago I told someone about everything what's happening. She told me to follow my heart and do what I want to do.
What I really want to do is move to Japan and work in the Music Industry there, and go to university in Japan to do so.

Now I told my family and also my mum's friends are really upset with me.
But they don't like what I'm doing at the moment, they said I should carry on the course. But I don't want to do that :crying:

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :crying:
This doesn't sound entirely problematic.

Getting the job of being the 'star', of being on stage and singing and all that takes both luck and social connections. It's also not financially reliable until (if and when) you finally 'make it'.

That means you have to spend time getting to know people in the industry while holding down a steady job. What's better for that than sound engineer?

PrincessKitty

This doesn't sound entirely problematic.

Getting the job of being the 'star', of being on stage and singing and all that takes both luck and social connections. It's also not financially reliable until (if and when) you finally 'make it'.

That means you have to spend time getting to know people in the industry while holding down a steady job. What's better for that than sound engineer?

I didn't say I want to be a 'star' my dream is to work in the music industry. I've always wanted that. I want to become a songwriter and give out my talent.

PrincessKitty

Make your dreams come true! :)

It's your life, you should be free to decide what you want to do. They should support you, I mean, if you love someone, you want them to be happy and this is what makes you happy. I think that maybe they are afraid because travelling and living in Japan is difficult and they don't want you to get hurt. So, if I were you I would work hard to prove them that I can do it.

I hope that everything goes well. It's going to be difficult but don't give up! If some people can do it, why can't you? :)

thanks that really does help :3 i wish they supported me but sadly they don't. Thanks :3

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I didn't say I want to be a 'star' my dream is to work in the music industry. I've always wanted that. I want to become a songwriter and give out my talent.
You said what you really want to do is perform on stage and sing. Success at that is generally referred to as being a star.

If working in the music industry is what you really want, sound engineer is ideal. If writing songs is what you really want, sound engineer is still an excellent way to network with people while holding a steady job to pay your bills.

I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue your dreams. I'm just not seeing the problem with your current strategy. You seem aggravated by my input though, so I shall quit.

:idontknow:

Natewin is trying to help here, being the logical mind.

PrincessKitty, you should pursue your dreams, yes yes! But you can do that while striving for a career that will help you get there. Like Natewin says, steady job to pay bills. Work on your dreams in your spare time?

Odo

Banned

You don't need to go to university or go to Japan in order to do this. Put together a demo CD or however it is they do this and start sending it out to as many places as you can.

The thing is, sound engineering would probably help you to make your demo sound really professional or stand out, which actually is important... and it would also mean you're doing something in the industry and possibly making money as well.

Buy some books on songwriting and start writing as many songs as you can. Post them on here to get a critique if you need to. It's going to be really hard to do this because there is an ocean of songwriters and musicians on soundcloud that you will need to stand out against... you're not the only one with this dream, and it is definitely highly, highly competitive.

Stressball

It's crushing when family do not support your dreams and passions. But what's even worse is being in your senior years looking back and regretting not doing what you wanted to do. So do whatever you can to pursue your dream, but at least have a backup plan. If you somehow cannot make it professionally keep it as a hobby.

Last edited:

theory816

1. Your mom and her friends or anyone else has no any control over what YOU want to do with your life. It is your life and you are in charge.

2. Be realistic. You said you want to perform on stage and sing. Will you have a job to support you while you pursue your goals? Will you be able to get a job in the field of your interest once you graduate? Is your dream job realistic? Not everyone will become a Celine Deon.

3. I would get a job on the side for income and then volunteer the rest of my time and work for the people who I want to have a career in. You are more likely to be hired then someone who just graduated because you have hands on experience.