In love with love-shy guy

LoveFool

Hi guys! I've been reading your forum for a while now and finaly decided to register and ask for your opinion on my situation :)
Here it goes. I've known a man for 5-6 years. We share some mutual friends and that's how we met. I was in a relationship with someone then, but I broke it off 4 years ago. Since then we sometimes hang out, but always with many people around. I've always kind of liked him, but then liking turned into something more during last 2 years.
He is friendly around people he knows and a bit cold with strangers. He's 30 years old and as far as I know he never had a girlfriend. He talks to women at his workplace and is not shy in a classic way. He just never had a relationship and claims is not interested in having one. Our mutual male friend claims that he isn't asexual either, because he caught him staring at women in "that" way. He has a protective shield around him, but I can see through his shield that he is gentle and somehow hurt inside. I am a bit shy myself so I'm not a kind of woman who would be pushy or coming on too strong. I just talk to him in a friendly manner and actually try not to show my true feelings, because I have a feeling that it would scare him away and I don't want to lose him. Occasionally I tried to touch him in a casual way on the upper arm as I talked to him and he flinched. I think he is love-shy.
Then things changed. I was throwing a new year's party and my friend said it would be a good idea to invite him. I never thought that he would come, but he did. We all talked a lot and listend to music. We actually only talked to each other 1on1 for only a few minutes. Then at the party he said he wants me to make something for him. I make some kind of art and he orderd something from me. I said Ok.
Then a couple of days later he sent me an email with some of his ideas and wrote that he would like to see me to arrange things. To cut a long story short we met 4-5 times since then 1on1 and talked a lot. I opened up to him a quite a bit. He is still very closed, but not so distant as he was before. He always tries to find solution to my problems and tells me that I'm special and how easy it is to talk to me. I know for fact that there is no other woman in his life with whom he meets one on one and chats like this. I asked him how come he doesn't have a girlfriend and he said something like he has no time for girlfriends. He also said that he has nothing to talk about with them..We also had a few of those awkward moments of silence when we just stared into each others eyes. He also doesn't flinch anymore when I touch him. I am very confused what does it all mean. I really like him as a human being and as a man. I'm too shy to show or say how I really feel and still have the feeling that it would scare him away so I don't do anything. Most of the time I send him an email. He responds quickly and most of the time he suggests that we meet. He comes to my place then we drink and talk. There is always some kind of tension in the air, but none of us says anything. Like there is an elephant in the room and we pretend he's not there. Last time we met he was acting kind of strange and was nervous. Then he asked me in an indirect way if I'm seeing our mutual friend which I'm not. Still he said nothing about "the elephant". I am not sure what to do about this situation, but it's driving me insane. I'm not getting any younger :) If he's love-shy would it scare him away if I say something first? Should I wait some more?
I would appreciate your angle on things. Thank you very much :)

coyote

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Your story sounds like something that alot of people here can relate to.

You should get plenty of helpful ideas.

doubtmyself

Banned
From what you've written I 'd say he's ready but needs you to make the first move...(and probably the second and third move too unfortunately!)

Maybe be up front.."Come on! Are we just gonna sit here all night or what?"
You don't want to waste any more time do you so...?

It does remind of how shy I was....But I only needed the woman to make one move and I got the message!:)

LoveFool

From what you've written I 'd say he's ready but needs you to make the first move...(and probably the second and third move too unfortunately!)

Maybe be up front.."Come on! Are we just gonna sit here all night or what?"
You don't want to waste any more time do you so...?

It does remind of how shy I was....But I only needed the woman to make one move and I got the message!:)

So she didn't have to make the second and the third one? :) I told him that the one who gets him is a lucky woman. I guess it didn't do the trick ;)

doubtmyself

Banned
So she didn't have to make the second and the third one? :) I told him that the one who gets him is a lucky woman. I guess it didn't do the trick ;)

That was a good ego massage for him.:)
He sounds painfully shy and needs a serious wake-up call...even an ultimatum...if he can't be gently guided, you need a different strategy

I think you may have put him on a pedestal though, which has affected your confidence...

LoveFool

My confidence is low because of previous relationship. I was severely critisized.Guess I like this guy, because I see a bit of myself in him. Maybe I shall take your advice and say something when we meet next time. Thanks :)
It's easy to put a quality person on a pedestal especially when you see that world is full of a***les. Pardon my French :)

Section_31

French????

My dear, being canadian, i can identify the 3 languages spoken here, engilsh, french, and profanity, and that most certainly was not french ;). (just had to bug ya)

On a serious note, i have to agree, make the first move, and with him, it may even be the 2nd and third. But i think it will go well. To me it definately sonuds like hes interested but has no idea how to handle the situation, and for a guy, if he thinks a woman knows that, he can be even more embarrassed....Apparently as men were expected to know how to handle that kind of stuff :p but nobody ever gave ME a handbook!

Just keep going as you are, and when you feel the time is right, i say make the move and see how it goes :)

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Aron

If someone told me that, I would think "yeah right... that means I got friendzoned again". I think when a woman says that it means that "the one who gets you is a lucky woman, but I don't want you". It's right on par with "you are such a nice guy (but I'm not interested in you like that)".

HH

This sounds scarily like the situation I'm in.

He sounds love-shy to me but it sounds like he is becoming comfortable around you (not flinching when you touch him, wanting to meet you etc). If you're to slow and shy yourself to show him how you feel then it will most probably just carry on with both of you being friends and nothing more. Someone has to take it to the next step and I'm sorry to say that its probably going to have to be you.
Should you wait some more? Maybe not much more, strike while the iron's hot as they say.

As a self confessed love-shy male myself (30's-no girlfriend etc etc....) I can tell you that its the most messed up s@!t ever. There's someone I've liked for years now and we have a great connection and I like her and I'm pretty sure she likes me (she's been with several men since I've known her but we always seem to be drawn to each other) but because we're both shy and quiet it's a nightmare. She's obviously used to the guy making the first move. Being love-shy is like having some kind of invisible force field around you that disables us guys from showing interest in women even if we find them attractive......its stupid and leads to a life in single city.

coyote

sit next to him

put his hand where you want him to put it

whisper in his ear what you want him to do

works every time

LoveFool

French????

My dear, being canadian, i can identify the 3 languages spoken here, engilsh, french, and profanity, and that most certainly was not french ;). (just had to bug ya)

On a serious note, i have to agree, make the first move, and with him, it may even be the 2nd and third. But i think it will go well. To me it definately sonuds like hes interested but has no idea how to handle the situation, and for a guy, if he thinks a woman knows that, he can be even more embarrassed....Apparently as men were expected to know how to handle that kind of stuff :p but nobody ever gave ME a handbook!

Just keep going as you are, and when you feel the time is right, i say make the move and see how it goes :)

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Thanks The Lone Gunman :) Since all of you agree that I should make the first move, I guess that's what I have to do. Regarding French, it's just a figure of speech :) English is not my mother tongue so you'll have to excuse my mistakes.

If someone told me that, I would think "yeah right... that means I got friendzoned again". I think when a woman says that it means that "the one who gets you is a lucky woman, but I don't want you". It's right on par with "you are such a nice guy (but I'm not interested in you like that)".

Actually it meant "I like you just as you are." Just like Mark Darcy said it to Bridget Jones in the movie.

This sounds scarily like the situation I'm in.

He sounds love-shy to me but it sounds like he is becoming comfortable around you (not flinching when you touch him, wanting to meet you etc). If you're to slow and shy yourself to show him how you feel then it will most probably just carry on with both of you being friends and nothing more. Someone has to take it to the next step and I'm sorry to say that its probably going to have to be you.
Should you wait some more? Maybe not much more, strike while the iron's hot as they say.

As a self confessed love-shy male myself (30's-no girlfriend etc etc....) I can tell you that its the most messed up s@!t ever. There's someone I've liked for years now and we have a great connection and I like her and I'm pretty sure she likes me (she's been with several men since I've known her but we always seem to be drawn to each other) but because we're both shy and quiet it's a nightmare. She's obviously used to the guy making the first move. Being love-shy is like having some kind of invisible force field around you that disables us guys from showing interest in women even if we find them attractive......its stupid and leads to a life in single city.

I see you also speak French ;) As I read threads on this forum I see that you guys are in pain and I really feel for you. I like guys like you more than more assertive kind od men. I like my guy because he is like that. Guess it's not good when two of a kind like each other, I mean two shy people. It goes nowhere if one of them doesn't get the courage to finally do something. It'll have to be me. I wish you all the best with your shy friend and hope that you'll end up together.

sit next to him

put his hand where you want him to put it

whisper in his ear what you want him to do

works every time

I would have to get really, really drunk to do something like this and I just quit. Just kidding ;)

Thanks guys. You are great and don't let anyone told you you're not.

Section_31

wow, slightly off topic, english is not your mother tongue?.

I honestly would not have known had you not said anything, not goofing either, i really mean it :).

OceanMist

This is where I don't understand gender roles in dating at all. You want to kiss him, but "gender roles" tell you that you must make him make the first move so the guy has all this pressure on him to do something that risks rejection.

If you want to kiss him that bad, and I say this to all women who refuse to make the first move, then why don't you try to kiss him. If that's too much then ask him to kiss you in some kind of way. I that's too much, then move in really close to him and put your face severely close to his and make it blatantly obvious that you want him to kiss you.

I don't get it because women have those 3 different options I just mentioned, yet instead they risk ending the entire relationship where they like a guy just because of gender roles. Dating shouldn't be some guessing game that the man always loses at if he doesn't have the courage to make the first move. We aren't mind readers.

You'll have to excuse me if I sound angry because I'm going through this exact situation right now, and it looks like this woman rejected me because of this exact situation. I'm still having to guess what she wants because she hasn't even told me what she's thinking. Dating shouldn't be this guessing game with intimacy. It should be open and you should be able to tell your partner what you want.

chocchipz

I agree with what has already been said, he's most likely unsure and is waiting on you to make the first move!

I'm pretty much in the same situation, except I'm the shy-guy and it ended with her losing interest waiting on me to make all the moves, by the time I did it was too late.

So don't make that mistake!

powerfulthoughts

This guy sounds like he defines social phobia. I would say you need to make the first move, and completely validate him as a human being. If you make it clear that you like him, then pay attention to how he responds. It may not be in a way that people would normally show interest, but dont let that deter you. If you really want to make it happen, then you need to make clear that you are interested and also take the initiative, because you know he isn't going to. Don't take it too fast, but also don't go too slow to the point that nothing ever happens. Be assertive towards him but not aggressive. But at some point make it clear that you like him and that he has the option of dating you... be clear.

MikeyC

I have a feeling I have love-shyness, too. I can say from my own experience that you will be the one who will have to make the first, and sometimes second and third and fourth, moves.

I can't really suggest anything that hasn't been said already so hopefully it works out. :)