Iontophoresis and baking soda.

hydroman123

Iontophoresis has so far worked pretty well for me; but the results really suffer when the weather is very hot and humid(like it is now). I ve been experimenting with baking soda for the last few days but havent noticed much difference.
I tried adding half a gram of sodium bicarbonate to each tray (850ml of water) and did the treatment at 12mA for 15 minutes on each polarity. Two sessions later- no change.
Has anyone had success with baking soda? Please provide any suggestions to make it work.THANKS.

clack013

I tried it one time to increase the effectiveness. Not sure how much I put in because I just poured a little bit out of the box. It definitely made the current stronger, and it burnt my hand a little bit so I haven't used it since.

blong

I actually think that it makes iontophoresis less effective. In my experiences I can get dryer without baking soda. I use about 14 mAs for 15 min on each polarity once a day. It took me 10 days to get 90% dry. Hope this helps!

A little bit of baking soda may serve a purpose of increasing the current but i think a low current (between 12 and 16) is best. It also hurts a lot more and does give you burns.

Tina_55

I have read that after having surgery or using botox on a certain area that some people begin to sweat in other areas more.

I am going to try iontophoresis for the first time, I was just wondering if anyone using this has noticed these side effects too?

Thanks!

blong

I am currently using botox injections for my palms and iontophoresis for my feet. Unfortunately sweating in other areas as you better treat the primary areas (hands, feet, or forehead) is a problem. I do sweat a little bit more all over since i have been sucessfully treating myself. It is very minimal compared to what i used to sweat on my palms and feet and i would prefer the treatment any day over no treatment. So yes it is an issue but it is a small issue and something that rarely becomes a real issue, i am too busy thinking about how great it is to not pour sweat off of my hands and feet.

sweatypalms

Hi Blong,

I was curious about the botox you get for your palms.

how many units do you get?
Any kind of numbing agent?
does the sweat stop completely?
where do you get it done?

Thanks!

hydroman123

Thanks for the reply blong. Why do you say that baking soda was less effective? Also, whats your maintenance schedule, mine doesnt seem to work.

blong

Glad to help:

I am not sure how many units, i think 50 per hand. That may be way off im not sure. I know I had around 50 injection sites per hand. Most on my fingers and on the side of my hand where you put your hand down to write.

No numbing agent. I have a fairly high pain tolerance and the pain of the procedure was not pleasant but do-able. I gripped bags of ice beforehand for about 10 min to numb my hands. It worked fairly well. An idea of mine for next time i have it done (i think i will have it done around every 5 months) is to wear a waterproof glove and emerse my hands in ice water.

The area around the injection sites stopped the sweat completely. I am very happy with it. I still used drysol (aluminum chloride) about 2-3 times a week to clear up the areas in between. But i dont pour sweat out of my fingertips or side of my palm and that is a huge blessing.

I had it done at my local dermatologist in Roanoke VA. Any dermatologist can do it. Since I had tried drysol and iontophoresis (both with inadequate results, but i admittedly was doing it wrong) I got the injections approved through my insurance. It took about 4 months to get the approval. I pay 200 dollars each time i have it done instead of the 2000 i would of had to pay.

I use 14 mAs on my feet every 3 to 4 days. I do 15 on each polarity for a total of 30 mins. That is my maintenance schedule. Sometimes i can go longer without doing a treatment it just depends. Normally it is 4 days. I get about 90-95% dry when i do the treatments on time.

Before I had been doing it with 20 mAs and was getting poor results, if anything i was sweating more. So i stopped for two weeks and then started on a different regimen with the 14 mAs, 30 min a day, for 10 days in a row and that worked for me.

Whenever i add baking soda to the trays it seems like i sweat more in between treatments. Other people have commented the same thing, maybe its in my head but i really do think it actually hinders the effect of the treatment.

If you are still having trouble try getting sweat-stop instant:
http://www.sweat-stop.com/order-now-shop/which-product/?lang=1

it is rather expensive but it REALLY works when you need to not sweat at all. If my botox is wearing off, as it does after 2-3 months, i use this on my fingertips and it stops the sweat completely. I feels a little uncomforatble though. It feels like your hands are dirty, at least thats the feeling that i get. I only use it if i am going into a meeting or an interview or something like that.

Hope this helps! best of luck

-Ben Long

blong

well it definitely works on my palms. the big ingredient in it is Aluminum chloride, or whatever the germans say it as, different countries use slightly different chemical nomenclature. Note they translate water as aqua.