Iontophoresis suddenly stopped working!

Rexus

I have an Idrostar. The method of usage in the manual is 1, 2, 4, 7, 10, 15, and 22 (as in days to use). This worked and I used to do maintenance treatments that wouldn't be as strong but would really hold the sweat.

However, around 7 days ago gushing started back. I'm using ionto everyday. The sweating stops for a while but then it just comes back out. I'm very weirded out and annoyed, I thought I finally found my cure but now it's not working. I wish there was a definite way to know how this works. I called the company I got the idrostar from and they told me the glands might have built up tolerance to the machine, but I can't seem to believe that since I've never seen anyone speak of such a thing. They told me to stop treatment for 2 weeks then redo the procedure as originally lined out.

I would really love your input. Should I continue the treatments. I'm in dire need of stopping the sweating. Your help is much appreciated.

Rexus

I was reading about water mineral content. How does this work? Can it make all the difference? How can I get water with high mineral content? Should I get sea water? Would that work? Thanks again.

hydroman123

Hey Rexus....Ive got the same problem. Iontophoresis worked great for almost two years, but the sweating came back. So far Ive cleaned the stains off the plates, increased the current etc, but it hasnt worked. Im planning on adding baking soda after a few days. Lets see how it goes.

Rexus

did you change the quality of your water that was being used? I wanna see if we're on the same ground as to what the problem might be, since I am now believing it's the water quality (i researched the baking soda/sodium bicarbonate and plenty of sites say that if your water is too soft adding a bit of sodium bicarbonate will solve the issue. I'm getting some in a few and I will inform you of the results.

hydroman123

did you change the quality of your water that was being used? I wanna see if we're on the same ground as to what the problem might be, since I am now believing it's the water quality (i researched the baking soda/sodium bicarbonate and plenty of sites say that if your water is too soft adding a bit of sodium bicarbonate will solve the issue. I'm getting some in a few and I will inform you of the results.
No, thats what really annoys me. Ive been meticulous with the treatments...never changing the water, never missing a treatment. I hope Im not getting immune to iontophoresis....it seems unlikely since its worked for so long. My left hand is alot worse than the right....Im at a loss to explain it.

Rexus

I think it's the quality of the plates ylou're using? Maybe cleaning them is just not enough, order some new ones, that's all I can think of?

Rexus

any idea where one can get 0.05% Glycopyrrolate solution!? I hear it drastically improves results, but I also heard that crushing Robinul/Avert and adding to water can have an effect as well? Is that true? Can Robinul/Avert be ordered without prescription? Thanks.

Rexus

Should I persevere with the treatments? Maybe it's because I took a 2 week break and I have to begin all the way from the start. I just want some hope.

Rexus

OK. So I gave up on iontophoresis 3 days ago, but today my palms are a bit dry and when sweating occurs it happens mostly on my feet whereas before it used to happen simultaneously in both places. Does that mean the schedule for idrostar knows something we don't? It seems u need your hnds to rest a bit before continuing sessions. I'm trying to make a session today and see what happens. Anyone has any take on the subject?

C

cock

Hey mate Ive heard from another forum that if it stops working you should take a break from treatment for a few weeks (I think it was around 6 weeks?) and then recommence daily treatment until the sweating ceases.

Soy Sauce

You can order Avert without prescription from the place I used to order it from.

pharmacy.ca - Canada's internet pharmacy

Iontophoresis was originally designed to administer medication through the skin, for people who could not or did not want to have needle injections. Adding glycoppyrolate doesn't help the iontophoresis treatments stop your sweating they way it's designed to, it simply administers the medication into your body through the skin, instead of taking it orally. It will only stop the sweating for maybe 6 hours max, the same thing it would do if you took it orally. Google iontophoresis to learn more about what it is normally used for.

Rexus

Thanks for the reply, but I just realized, sadly, my country won't allow any medicine to come in. This sucks.

Damien27

They same thing happened to me. and i tried just about everything i could think of and i finally found something that seems to work. i actually started a similar thread a couple months ago. i was waiting to updated it unitl i got the time to write everything i did. but i'll give an abridged version here and then a full update later

anyway, what seems to work for me is using mineral water. i found this cheap water at the grocerry store called san pelligrino. it was like 8 dollars for enough of it to fill up my trays.

i tried messing around with adding stuff to my water at home, like baking soda and minerals. but it just seemed like nothing was working. i also tried taking stuff out (through filtering) of my home water, and that didn't work. this surrpised me bc i had been using the treatment succesfully for months at my old house. it was when i moved and started using new water that things stopped working. whatever the reason, the water at my new place just doesn't work for ion treatments, not even when i add stuff or filter.

so the cheap mineral water worked for me (at least it has for about two weeks since i started using it)

B

Babatunfi

Hey Damien27, the same thing happened to me, I live in Nottingham, UK. When I lived in London and some other part of Nottingham, ionotophoresis seemed to work for me, but it seems not to be working anymore. Now its just weird. Whenever I'm at uni I just seem to sweat badly, and i think some of friends have noticed ( not cool) , they always wanna shake me and stuff. Would be nice to hear your experience and other peoples as well. I only just found this site. Although Ive tried to use it everyday now I cant really tell if its working. What water did you use, and hows it going so far?

iontoman

This is what's worked for me. My most recent change to my routine has drastically reduced the "drying out" period (i.e., the time after the maintenance session in which your hands and feet sweat profusely and when it actually "dries out", usually at least 3-4 days from my experience).

Say that I've been dry for about 3 weeks now and feel some sweating coming (usually in the fingertips first), I then use lukewarm tap water and for each polarity per side, instead of the recommended 10 minutes, I actually do 25-30 minutes per polarity per side. That's almost one hour per side, or two hours total for 1 maintenance session. I've found that for me, that's equivalent to doing 3 sessions, except I can "speed things up" by reducing the "drying out" period.

Nowadays, I rarely think about my HH except for when the fingertips start to sweat (once every 2.5-3 weeks). I do this long maintenance session on average of once every 2.5-3 weeks.

beckiboo

I find when ionto stops working giving it a couple of months break and then starting from the beginning usually makes it work again, then im dry for a few weeks untill I try to do maintenance then it comes back - annoying!

heres what I do, any help on how I could modify my routine would be great and tips on maintenance are much needed!!

I firstly have a home made machine like the youtube one, normal tap water (I live ina hard water area) I use 18-24mA for 15 mins on each polarity for 10-18 days then wait for the dry out which happens a few days after I stop usually. then sometimes I leave it untill the sweating starts to return after 2-3 weeks and try to do a session of 30 mins each polarity 18-24mA once a week but usually sweating comes back. Im afraid to do top-ups when they are in the dry spell in case this makes it come back..this could be where im going wrong I dont know.

im pulling my hair out about this..I wish there was just a set routne that worked for everyone!

Damien27

Hey Rexus - I just wanted to write to see how everything turned out with your treatments - whether they've become effective again and, if so, when and how, etc.

I'm actually curious because a similar issue happened to me twice now. Both times seemingly related to moving to new places where the water content was not effective for iontophoresis. I mentioned one time in an early posting. But just recently the same thing basically happened to me again.

i moved to a new apartment in January 2011 and the water there seemed to be effective until about 2 weeks ago (beginning of March). then i noticed a decreased effectiveness and a stop altogether.

so i switched back to the water i had been using (cheap mineral water from the grocery store). i did five treatments with that, and things are going much better now.

it just really is stressful when the treatments stop working. i've really gotten used to having this hand sweating thing under control. and it's no exaggeration to say that it's changed my life (which i know is a cliche, but very true for me). i can't even explain how much more confident and happy i am when the treatments are working. i feel like i'm the person i want to be. and when the treatments aren't working, i feel really bad about myself, like i'm some kind of freak. it's crazy what a dramatic difference this makes.

anyway, i just wanted to see how your treatments are going. and also see if anyone else has experienced similar issues with treatments stopping working and what steps they took to make them more effective. i want to learn as much as i can so that i can avoid ineffectiveness or minimize it when it happens.

ysh

Damien: What are the signs you see when the treatment begins to stop working? Do you gradually begin to sweat more and more or it is a more rapid process meaning that one day you are just back as things used to be prior to ionto?

I started ionto almost two months ago and would like to learn the signs of it stopping working so I can hopefully deal with it in time.