Is Introvertedness Forever?

spyr05

Yes, I understand it's possible to deal with social phobia through relaxation techniques, and I actually think I've been making some progress in this department as I've grown older.

But I'm just curious- there's something else about being introverted. It's just the fact that even when interacting with other people becomes less "scary," it always just seems to take so much *effort.* And sometimes it feels like it's impossible for me to be social just because I can't fight against my own nature and make this "effort" all the time. Like in order to be more social, I would actually have to change the type of person that I am. Does anyone think that this ever changes?

D

deleted #89

Wanting so much to change is the real problem. You are trying to change your own being and that's why anxiety comes up....the more you will try to change who you really are the more anxiety you will feel. Who you are is who you should strive to be. People/society will always tell you that happy people are the extroverted ones. WRONG. The happiest people are the ones who " love" themselves for everything that they are. Also people are both introvert and extroverts....really look at your life and you will find times when you were extroverted. Its a state of mind that's all...

Dj SL

It doesn't matter if somebody is introvert or extrovert. What matters in life is to be happy.

P.S. No one is superior or inferior to a human... Because we are humans, we are equal.

Prestonator

I personably believe that if you are just naturally an introvert then you are one. But for me, I SA was causing me to be an introvert when in fact I knew that I wasn't really like that - I like people to much! :p You do realise that there is nothing wrong with being an introvert its just the way you are! Nor is there anything wrong with being an extrovert.

If you don't feel like you really are an introvert, then consider that maybe its just your SA that is making you be like that. Have you heard of the Myres-Briggs personality types? Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ms Cloud

You don't have to be extroverted to be happy. That's some sort of modern myth, and a silly one at that.

LifeInternal88

You don't have to be extroverted to be happy. That's some sort of modern myth, and a silly one at that.

^True.

@Spyr05: I don't think it every really changes. I think you can learn different characteristics and ACT. So I think with some practice and confidence you could pretend, but I doubt the true nature changes. But I don't know.

Anyone can be happy, But ya, it does seem extroverts have fun. But as introverts we should try find the right things for us.

AsTimeBurns

I think it probably is. You can change a lot about yourself, but I don't tink you can change who you are deep down, not easily anyway.

gingin77

I wonder the same thing. I'm introverted and have grown to be fairly content with it, although sometimes I get tired of being this way. My husband is an extrovert and thinks it's the only "normal" way to live. He can't see how I can possibly be happy staying at home alone so much. I do find that when I'm with people I'm comfortable with, I become an extrovert. It's like I'm an extrovert living inside and introvert's body. I don't think that either one is more right or wrong - just different.

Kiwong

I also think we are born introverted. Life is always an effort, and never easy, but sometimes the effort makes the good times even sweeter. With practice and by finding people you trust to open up with, interacting with people can become easier. It takes all my energy to interact, but it can really expand my life.

Predacon

I think Introversion is a basic personality trait, of course you can try to be more extraverted but it takes more effort if you're not wired that way and you probably won't enjoy it that much anyway.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I also think we are born introverted. Life is always an effort, and never easy, but sometimes the effort makes the good times even sweeter. With practice and by finding people you trust to open up with, interacting with people can become easier. It takes all my energy to interact, but it can really expand my life.

YEAH!

Introversion does not mean SAD or extreme feelings. I always wanted to fight it but accepting it does a lot imo. You can become more social still and change a lot, but fundamentally I know I'll always be an introvert more than extrovert - socialness will take energy from me more than others. I know I will never be one to want to go out everynight, and don't want to, I don't have to feel I SHOULD want to do that. It's a nice weight off self. I've learned what I really want/ppl/places.

But initially it can be like preparing for a big race. Build social endurance, not easy or fun initially, easy to just quit. For introverts it's harder initially. But I've found a real key is as Kiwong said, finding the ppl your trust to open with and WANT to be around. And you may not want to all the time, that's normal.