Is it or isn't it

Michelob512

the definition of illness according to my dictionary is: Disease of body or mind; poor health; sickness.

With this definition, yes SP is an illness. I don't understand if this answers your question though, could you elaborate?

Yossarian

I don't think it's an illness or disease. To me some people are shorter or taller, some people and more fearful or confident. It's just about degrees of something we all feel at some point. Where you draw the line between normal and unnormal is too subjective for my liking. It's not like you can take a blood test to see if you are SP.

This is something though you could say about alot of mental health illnesses. I'm not saying I don't think it's not a problem. Just a product of genetic variation (I wouldn't call many genetic disorders illnesses either) which doesn't match peoples personal view on what is a standard/normal human being or how we should be.

If it wasn't for genetic variation, diversity ot mutations (freaks maybe?) we'd all still be microbes in a puddle somewhere. Not that I want to insult any microbes reading this. It's just, if we are unusually handsome, intelligent or talented, people say we are blessed, a genius or gifted. While on the other end of the scale we are disfigured, retarded or disabled.

I'm not saying certain states aren't more desirable and that I don't want to change, just to me I personally wouldn't call SP an illness unless you call someone who is very brave, confident or courageous ill too.

Waffle, waffle :lol:

nishah

this may sound ridiculous but for me SP is an illness as well as not... it's an illness coz it is genetically hereditary.. i also think that SP has something to do with the environment u have lived and grown up with and also with the people around u.. SP can also be an effect of ur traumatic encounters with people that has affect ur way of thinking when around people.. and for me personally i'd rather consider SP an illness coz if it is then there's a possiblity of cure in it u just have to help urself to overcome this so called "illness".. and of course support from ur loved ones will help a lot..

LilMissTragic

I keep it simple, its a phobia therefore its an irrational fear. I hate thinking of it as a mental illness as somehow it makes it sound worse to me...lol

MRnomates

Well i just typed in google social phobia a mental illness and it is a mental illness just like depression it manifests itself for me i think about it all the time and it does me head in. My dad had it 2 so i think it is also genetic.

Horatio

MRnomates said:
Lilmiss you should be able to claim benifits with SP people with depression do?

here in NZ SP is considered to be an anxiety disorder. Due to the stigma attatched to mental illness I dont tend to use those words when talking about it amongst extended family etc. And yes your right MR, I have spent several months of this year on a sickness benefit due completely to my depression AND socialphobia.

So yes, I do consider it an illness

Horatio