Is it Social Phobia or Agorophobia?

Bernie

I'm confused as to whether i have social phobia or agorophobia, aren't they quite similar? All i know is that what i suffer from is exteme. It started in childhood, i was indecently assaulted when i was six years old and from then on everything changed, it was as though my whole world was turned upside down. Looking back it was as though the world had become a very frightening place and i no longer trusted "people". I used to cling to my mum whenever we went out, i became kind of paranoid, always looking over my shoulder in case my abuser was around. I also believed i was "different to others" and thought everyone i passed was looking at me like i was strange. So i kind of developed an inferiority complex which has lasted all my life. I am 31 now. Tocut a long story short, i was then abused at age nine, my brother died when i was ten and the whole time growing up, my father was violent towards my mother which i witnessed on many occassions. I was also bullied through primary school. Anyway I get panicky when leaving the house, i'm lucky if i go out once a month. My thoughts are: "people see me as strange - that there's something wrong with me " I don't know what that is, i think i'm normal. I'm always concerned with "what others think about me" not what "i"think or feel. Does anyone else think like that? I am extremely self-concious when around others, i always think people are thinking bad of me. You would think i'd be at ease with my family, but no! It seems i'm only at ease in my own company.
Can anyone relate to what i've written here, and tell me what the difference is between Social Phobia and Agorophobia? Thanks for reading. Lots of love!

Omg, thats awful and i am really really sorry that this happened to you. I feel the same way you do about not leaving the house but i have to because i am in high school and i graduate this year. Sometimes i feel less anxious but then again i am always thinking oh my god they are looking at me and i worried that they think that i am stupid or something. I don't like getting out of the house but i get nervous when i have to do some kind of presentation or when i am the center of attention, do you feel this way as well?, if you don't then my guess is that you just have agoraphobia. In addition, since you have been a victim of sexual abuse then i can also say that you have some kind of trauma going on. I hope one day, you can overcome this and i will suggest you to go to therapy or to a psychologist because i will be doing the same soon.

I must also say, that cases like you motivate me to do something for those that have and are being victims of sexual abuse. Although, my depression can most of the time take and consume my energy, i want to help the poor, the old, the depressed, the raped victim, the domestic violence victim because it breaks my heart when i hear that people go through this stuff. It makes me really sad and i am a very emotional person and what sucks even more that this can be stopped but yet this a.ssholes continue to go around the streets hurting the innocent ones. Take care, if you need someone to talk to, i will be here.

blonderedhead

Hey! Hmm... I've actually been wondering the same exact thing. I'm not sure which one I have. From what I have gathered the main difference is that agoraphobia is a fear of being in a setting that's unfamiliar or where theres no easy means of escape. Which could be certain enviornments whereas social phobia is just a fear of people altogether. I'm really sorry about what has happened to you. I come from a very similar past and certain things do change you for the rest of your life. It's horrible. My heart goes out to you. But know that you aren't strange. The world CAN be a scary place but theres alot of greatness and beauty out there too. We've got to get out there somehow! Well I hope you find your way through this. I wish the best for you!

Bernie

Depressed4life! - Thank y ou so much for your kind words!
You sound like a lovely person!
lol. xxxx

Bernie

Blonderedhead - Thankyou for your post!
It is an awfull place to be in!
I hope things change for me, and that you will one day be happy too! xxxx

mr335

i too believe from what little i know about real differences between agoraphobia and social phobia is that the agoraphobic not only has issues with being around strangers, and sometimes familiar loved ones, but is sometimes terrified if they have no easy way out

at least that's me and i am agoraphobic and was diagnosed 25 years ago or so

does the idea of an airplane flight and being stuck in a middle seat not accessible easily to a bathroom strike fear in you? or being stuck in the middle of a lot of seats in a movie theater? would you rather have a boring or bad job but from home than a dream job of fame and fortune that forced you to be very public and polite all the time under the scrutiny of many people? if you were a celebrity, would you attend the red carpet events or be a hollywood recluse?

i think the combination of shyness, fear, and not finding an easy escape being terrifying is agoraphobia

...someone chime in if they think i am wrong

milo001

sory,i didn't read your whole post.but i'll feel very nerovus to leave the house as well.like i'll be very scared to go to work and i'll feel uncomfortable in a crowded public places like mall.i think i'm SAD but i also have some agoraphobia symptoms.wish you al the best.

Kamen

Hi Bernie,

The difference between social phobia and agoraphobia is that with social phobia, you are afraid of people, crowds, when you have to do something related with meeting people, and similar situations. With agoraphobia, the problem is that you are afraid of leaving your 'safe place' - your home. Even if there are no people around, you are still anxious and feel fear and insecurity in the air, especially in unknown places. I have similar problems.

Here is an example: My family will go to a hypermarket today and several years ago I was able to go with them easily (to the same market). Now, I am afraid because the market is so far away and unexplainable fear comes into my mind - and not only because of people; there are some thoughts that something terrible might happen to me in front of people and I am afraid to get into the car; I think my heart will go crazy and I could die, for example. This is probably agoraphobia and I have this after several panic attacks. Panic attacks resulting in agoraphobia is something very common.

milo001

bernie,i'm so sorry to hear that.many peoples have the similar experience as you. :( i hope you're ok now.i think what you're having is social phobia more than agora.because you're afraid of what peoples will judge you.but agora is not they're having panic attacks in places when there's no crowds or very little peoples like afraid being alone in elevator.because of your childhood experience you became afraid to peoples in your surrounding and not the places.you don't want to leave your house is not because of you scared of the places but you're afraid of the crowds like if they're staring at you or you'll think what they'll do to you.it's better if you see a psychologist to confirm.wish you all the best.

Lexmark

People can have agrophobia and be fine in sociol situations
I never leave the house and have had doctors tell me I have agorophobia but its bullshit. If suddenly there were no humans left in the world i would never stay inside.
It sounds like you have SP not agrophobia
Do you actually fear leaving the house ?
Sorry to hear your story it sounds like a tough childhood