is SAD a fault?

applesewer

Is SAD part of who we are, or is it a fault that needs to be fixed?

On the one hand, is it like if you were born with black skin into a world where being white skinned was seen as “normal” and being black skinned was seen as inferior, then would you have an operation to change your skin colour? No…well, I wouldn’t. Just because the world says something is right or wrong doesn’t mean it actually is.

Or, on the other hand, is SAD something different? Is it more like if you make a mistake, have an accident, and cut off your leg, would you turn to the medical world to help fix you? Or would you say, no, this is the hand God has dealt me, I shall learn to live with it? You’d wanna be fixed right? I would.

But medicine is curious to me, I haven’t figured out where I stand yet. It’s like if you catch a cold, you drink a Lemsip, and you feel better and that’s fine. But then there’s stuff like anti-ageing cream or hair replacement products for balding men, and today the science world is experimenting with DNA and cloning technologies to cure illnesses and I wonder at what point it becomes “playing God” a little too much?

Yossarian

I see it as who/what i am. That dooesn't mean it should stay that way. I was born knowing nothing, its who i was. Doesn't mean i shouldn't educate myself. I'm not particuarly fit or healthy, doesn't mean i can't or shouldn't be.

There's no such thing as a universal, apply to all right or wrong. It's all subjective, unless you're religious i guess, which i'm not. If you are happy - don't change, if you aren't - change.

As for playing God. What about refridgeraters? mobile phones? transport? what about aiding others? shoes? cheese graters? trying to preach to people how to live their lives? As far as i'm concerned if there is a God, we could prob do alot better than the shit hole he/she/it created.

applesewer

Ok, so lets say anti aging cream and hair replacement products are ok, they’re just results of man using its intelligence to make the best of what we’ve got.

But what about (and I hope this isn’t going too off topic), if we go to the extreme and look at things like designer babies. I dunno what stage they’re at but they’re saying that soon you’ll be able to pick and choose DNA strands for your baby, to make them more athletic, or more intelligent, or whatever. Now that doesn’t seem right to me.
But what about if your unborn baby has got an illness and doctors can remove or replace the DNA before birth (or however they do it) and fix your child. Then is that ok?

I guess it depends on what you define as illness? Being ugly is not an illness. But is being blind an illness? Some might say that Ray Charles’ music is better for it, but some might say he missed out on lots more. He could have been a great painter as well.

I guess, maybe, it depends on the individual. But do you see what I’m trying to get at? Do we accept SAD or do we fight it?

Anonymous

worrydoll said:
sunsets, rainbows, shooting stars, orgasms, chocolate, beer, me, you, cats, rabbits, kangaroos, the ocean, space, grass, colours, sleep, cheese, cows, goats, pie, music, patchouli, daisies, soil, nellypants, chips, tomatoes....this world is not a shithole. man messed it up and all the things we enjoy...mobiles cheese graters pcs etc come from the creator....man can make nothing entirely synthetic...and man couldnt make it at all if God hadnt given him intelligence. love.

Yes man is responsible for messing it up and it is man's responsibility to make it better. love- agreed.

Anonymous

worrydoll said:
sunsets, rainbows, shooting stars, orgasms, chocolate, beer, me, you, cats, rabbits, kangaroos, the ocean, space, grass, colours, sleep, cheese, cows, goats, pie, music, patchouli, daisies, soil, nellypants, chips, tomatoes....this world is not a shithole. man messed it up and all the things we enjoy...mobiles cheese graters pcs etc come from the creator....man can make nothing entirely synthetic...and man couldnt make it at all if God hadnt given him intelligence. love.

Yes man is responsible for messing it up and it is man's responsibility to make it better. love- agreed.

Anonymous

worrydoll said:

Anonymous

worrydoll said:

Anonymous

worrydoll said:

Anonymous

worrydoll said:

Anonymous

worrydoll said:

Anonymous

worrydoll said:

Anonymous

oh my friggin god! how did that happen! sorry, worry didn't mean to submit that a kazillion times :lol:

Ads7800

worrywort said:
Do we accept SAD or do we fight it?

You have brought up an interesting argument about society vs. the individual. Why should we be expected to act in any certain way!
In some ways, society gives me the shits with all it's bullshit rules and expected conformity. However, why would anyone want to live with social phobia, it's terrible! In my opinion, anyone who has SAD should be trying to fight it and definitely not accept it. For if they accept it, they may find themselves living a life of misery as they have no friends and can't even walk down the street due to fears of stranger's staring at them.

applesewer

Yea, I think you’re right. A certain degree of fighting is definitely needed if you’re to avoid SAD getting the better of you and ruining your life. But I think the answer lies somewhere between fighting and accepting. So my question now is WHEN should we fight it and when should we accept it? And is there any kind of pattern to knowing when to do which? Or does anybody think we should fight it 100%? Or even accept it 100%?

Cause things like, going out on Friday nights, dating, partying and going down the pub. This is just the culture that we live in today; we don’t have to conform to that if we don’t want to. But sometimes things like funerals I think you have to at least try to fight your fears and show your face out of respect.

I think you just need to create enough freedom for yourself to do what you wanna do, whatever that may be in life. With SAD, you have these walls that impose upon your freedom, but you can push these walls back…if you push hard enough! So lets say you really want this job but your SAD is preventing you in some way, then it might be time to fight it. But lets say your friends are having a party to get to know each other better and to have fun. Well, for starters it’s not gonna be fun for us, but also, parties are not the only way to get to know people, so it doesn’t really matter if you don’t go. So accepting the way you are in this circumstance might be the right thing to do.