Is SP hereditary?

Foxglove

I live in fear that my son will inherit my mental problems. My parents are both pretty messed up. They are both depressed, and I have never known either of them to have friends. They were abusive to me. When I look at my background, I have no doubt that that is a major contribution as to why I'm so messed up. The difference between me and my parents is that I don't abuse my son. I love him more than anything and would do anything to make him happy. But all the same, I'm so afraid that he will one day end up like me. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

charlieHungerford

Well I personally don't believe it can be hereditary in terms of its in your genes, as it is a learnt behaviour, but in cases where people say its hereditary I wonder if that is because if you have a parent or parents with SA, you live life learning that people are dangerous (if you know what I mean). For instance a family that is so outgoing and always meeting and mixing and throwing social events you would expect the children to learn to be very social and outgoing too, whereas parents with SA, maybe the children don't mix with new people and they see their parents are not outgoing or like to mix with people, so its something that the kids pick up on and don't develop social skills.

For myself it certainly isn't hereditary, my family are very confident and outgoing, I just suffered years or ridicule, name calling, put downs in my school days that made me so self conscious and develop very negative self image and believed because of the ridicule that I always got, that I began believing every sees me so negatively, hence being so self conscious and anxious around people. Its something I am trying to unlearn and believe I can do.

random

I seem to have alot of relatives with SP (undiagnosed) but I look at the environment that they have all shared and suspect it is environment they have all shared rather than genetics - but I don't know for sure.
I wailed to my counselor at some point "What if it's genetic!?" and she said "Well...what if it is?" and I said "Well how can I fight genetics! I ought to just give up and become a hermit!" and she said "Why would the fear that it's genetic make you give up?" and I said "Well because I can't overcome genetics! It means it's just the way I am!" and she said "WHo told you that you cannot do anything about it if it's genetic?"
And I thought about it. There seems to be some basis to indicate that there is a genetic component to alcoholism...but I have met people who have learned how not to drink - would I tell them to 'give up' and 'drink'? Nope. So although I suspect it is environmental....even if I am wrong.....I believe that we can all improve our lives. I respect you tremendously - it's so hard to nurture others when YOU have not been nutured. In my opinion - I think he will be fine. If he should ever struggle with SA - you can show him by your own example that we work to improve our lives no matter what we face.