Is this a compulsion?

Jetra

Every time I read a book, I, from time to time, see how many pages to the next chapter. I usually either do it at the beginning of the chapter, or every other page.

JosephG

I don't think so! I tend to do this a lot. Just to see how long I have to read for, especially if it is before bed! It's just nice to know how long your chapter is. I wouldn't worry about it :)

Jetra

Ehh, I'm the only one I know who does it. I recently read almost 150 pages of LotR, finishing last night.

JosephG

Ehh, I'm the only one I know who does it. I recently read almost 150 pages of LotR, finishing last night.

Well that's just you init :p

That's cool dude. I got the first book when I was like 8 and just never had the intellectual capacity to fully appreciate it! I've watched all the films which are bloody brilliant but I kick myself that I didn't read the book sooner. Must pick them up!

Jetra

Well that's just you init :p

That's cool dude. I got the first book when I was like 8 and just never had the intellectual capacity to fully appreciate it! I've watched all the films which are bloody brilliant but I kick myself that I didn't read the book sooner. Must pick them up!

It's really full of meaningless details. I'm just reading them because I always feel left out...

Oh, by the way, I only finished the second book. Took me a while to read

JosephG

It's really full of meaningless details. I'm just reading them because I always feel left out...

Oh, by the way, I only finished the second book. Took me a while to read

I have a few friends who are wild about Tolkien! They do say it is unbelievable how much stuff he has created - the amount of detail in the worlds and even the language just itself is remarkable! I can see what you mean by meaningless because none of that stuff will have any use in the real world unless you are doing a lord of the rings quiz!
hehe But it does have meaning if it helps you and makes you feel better:)
You should take some time away from the books though and practice talking to people - I tend to absorb myself in things a lot and by the end of it it doesn't to much good for me :)

Kamen

No, it isn't a compulsion. But it could be hypochondria. Stop complicating your life needlessly by looking for signs which justify your ideas that there is something wrong with you.

Since childhood, I have a habit of rocking back and forth which would probably seem to you more compulsive than checking pages.

Jetra

No, it isn't a compulsion. But it could be hypochondria. Stop complicating your life needlessly by looking for signs which justify your ideas that there is something wrong with you.

Since childhood, I have a habit of rocking back and forth which would probably seem to you more compulsive than checking pages.

Yes, I've had spasms of hypochondria, not fun.