Is this bull or what?

hollaholla

I read everywhere that people with social anxiety are 80% successfully treated! If that's the case then why does it seem like people are fucked with this so bad??? I really despise medicine and science!

Travis88

Maybe you missed the fine-print , maybe 80% are sucessfully treated by time they are 80 years old.

Crimefish

You also have to take into account that only a fraction of actual sufferers make it to statistics. Those statistics probably only count people diagnosed who received treatment. We can't know how many people don't even seek treatment or diagnosis.

hollaholla

I'm sure they are talking about people that were diagnosed....but if you suffer from it mildly, can you actually be cured from it without meds just therapy?

Chilling__Echo

also, what's "successful"? even *normal* people get nervous or embarrassed sometimes. it's never something we can completely escape. and it's hard to measure the level of "comfort" acheived compare to other people

Nightshade

Well, if "successfully treated" means "significant improvement", I would count myself as "successfully treated". Doesn't mean I'm cured. Doesn't even mean I don't have social phobia any more. Still a long way to go. Also, based on past experience, it is quite likely that I will develop another phobia since social phobia wasn't my first phobia (or even my second).

But I'm better than I was and even that improvement has made me feel so much better.

Probably the single most effective thing was doing the CBT exercises in a self-help book for social phobia. Other things helped, but without that I'd still be paying for regular visits to a psychologist and on medication I think (about to face my first winter in years without antidepressants - fingers crossed).