Is this characteristic of OCD?

chris87

From what I read, it seems that most people with OCD have obsessions that they quell with their compulsions. My obsessions seem to occur after I do an action. I'm not sure if that's typical OCD behavior or not, or if I am even making sense. Here's an example:

If I lock the door, I'll get this thought in my head that the way I locked the door "didn't feel right" and I'll have an urge to unlock and relock the door. I don't want to waste the time, but without fail, I'll get a thought in my head that something bad will happen if I don't repeat the action (someone in my family will get into an accident, I will lose my only friend, etc.). As a result, I will unlock and relock the door until it "feels right," even though I know it's ridiculous. I was under the impression that someone with OCD would have an irrational thought "someone in my family is going to get into an accident" and then have to do a ritual to offset it. In my case, an action (turning off a light switch, closing a door, etc) tends to trigger obsessive thoughts that I will ultimately counter by repeating the same action that triggered the obsessive thought.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but hopefully, someone can relate.

kathyk

wow thats exactly how my OCD is.
mine has thoughts too, like if i lock a door and think about someone i care for getting in an accident, i have to repeat it til i dont
or sometimes it just doesn't feel right when i do something so i have to repeat it.
but anyways, yes that does sound like OCD

kathyk

yea it gets soo frustrating. sometimes it takes me like an hour to finally go to bed or do whatever i had to do. mine often gets worse when i have to do something important or when its like a big day, like a birthday or when it was the first day of school and things like that. it's just really annoying.

chris87

kathyk said:
mine often gets worse when i have to do something important or when its like a big day, like a birthday or when it was the first day of school and things like that. it's just really annoying.

I thought that this only happened to me. It's like my OCD kicks into overdrive, when I have something important.

Ambo

From what I have heard OCD is somehow almost linked to Turrets. Some cases of Turrets the tinks are linked to stress or so I have heard. Has anyone else heard this?

M3nt0R

chris87 said:
kathyk said:
mine often gets worse when i have to do something important or when its like a big day, like a birthday or when it was the first day of school and things like that. it's just really annoying.

I thought that this only happened to me. It's like my OCD kicks into overdrive, when I have something important.

Maybe it's because of the added anxiety that you naturally get when you're preparing for something that involves more importance?

And to the guy who said OCD is linked to Turrets, I always thought that I never read it though. I mean turrets isn't always about screaming random cuss words, a lot of turrets sufferers just have these 'tics' or 'compulsions' that they must act out. It's similar, but they don't do it because they have an obsessive thought and that's the only way they feel they can prevent it, they do it involuntarily, I believe.

They seemed very similar to me, in that sense, so I do believe ocd is somehow related to turrets in some way.

lollaa

life like that seriously sucks i do the exact thing.
sometimes i feel as if im not normal =/