"It's EVERYWHERE!"

Kanon

In the past few weeks, I moved away from my hometown and now go to school focused on the major I want to learn. At first, I thought these great risks would help me become more outgoing and force me to get out more, but it is having a reverse effect.

I've tried researching for groups, therapy, counseling, and whatever else, but nothing comes up, unless I can somehow get X-amount of money to pay a psychologist, or worse yet, a hypnotist.

Articles and publications keep saying, "There are many places and things out there to cure shyness" but where are they? and how does anyone find it?

scissorhands

i did exactly what you're doing. and i went 3 years through university away from my hometown and it was a terribly difficult time. i thought it would force me to fix things but like you said it only made things worse. I hope you have better luck than i did.

Kanon

scissor hands, was there anything that you tried doing differently that didn't work? Your feedback is much appreciated. It would be great to apply your experience to all of this.

Lea, curing shyness is probably not an option at this point, and I am well aware of that. I am convinced that shyness in this stage of life has become apart of our personalities instead of just being on the surface. The only thing we can do is find a way to manage it so we don't miss out on life, yes?

steviegerrard489

scissorhands said:
i did exactly what you're doing. and i went 3 years through university away from my hometown and it was a terribly difficult time. i thought it would force me to fix things but like you said it only made things worse. I hope you have better luck than i did.

Thats pretty much the way I felt. I went to university for 4 years and it was the most agonising time of my life. Very few people would talk to me even though I would force myself into social situations. It was as if I wasn't there.

Part of it was the people I was mixing with. They were the sort of people who would blank you if you didn't wear the right clothes, were uncool or just plain ugly.

In the 7 years since I left I've definitely improved greatly. I realise now that not everyone is like the poeple at my uni. I can talk to women reasonably comfortably whereas up until I reached 19/20 I could barely look them in the eye.

Helyna

Are you thinking about shyness or social anxiety? Because I think shyness is a phase, can be handled, etc. and SAD is much more difficult. At least, that's what I think the difference is.