I've taken life far too seriously for a long time

gustavofring

For a long time it was like I've forgotten how to simply have fun and enjoy things, social interactions, etc. It seemed like a chore, going through the motions, feeling bothered and uptight. Questioning my every move and those of others.

Lately with ups and downs and mood swings I've been able to get some of my "old" self back and it's really releiving. Being more loose, making jokes, etc. This really helps my overall mood but it's still a daily battle. Depression was really such a lifesucking b*tch. But the fact that I'm able to enjoy and laugh at things again and without the use of drugs or alcohol tells me that this part of me isn't dead and that is hopeful.

I was wondering if others feel the same way. Do you take life too seriously?

Last edited:

razzle dazzle rose

I am taking life too seriously. It is not fun. I too want to work on that. It is a challenge to loosen up. What do you think is helping you? I also don't want to rely on drugs or alcohol. It is surprising how many people use drugs or alcohol for this very purpose; sometimes I wonder if I am doing myself a disservice by not using anything. Of course, there is nothing fun about an addiction!

ImNotMyIllness

I am taking life too seriously. It is not fun. I too want to work on that. It is a challenge to loosen up. What do you think is helping you? I also don't want to rely on drugs or alcohol. It is surprising how many people use drugs or alcohol for this very purpose; sometimes I wonder if I am doing myself a disservice by not using anything. Of course, there is nothing fun about an addiction!

I think it starts with doing fun things. New and interesting experiences. Having the right company does help.

This summer, I would love to Kayak or windsurf. I need to start trying new things.

this_portrait

Yes, I do, though it doesn't seem like it. Sometimes I feel like I don't take it serious enough because I refuse to live the high-stress lifestyles much of the rest of my generation seems to be taking on. Then I feel bad for being a "slacker", when in reality taking on too much drains me and causes me to nearly have a mental breakdown.

razzle dazzle rose

I think it starts with doing fun things. New and interesting experiences. Having the right company does help.

This summer, I would love to Kayak or windsurf. I need to start trying new things.

I totally agree. New experiences make me feel like I am alive and life is worth living. Unfortunately, I don't have any company and it really blows to do things alone. I just can't. I need someone to facilitate things for me if that makes sense; take the position of leading. Otherwise I am just too anxious and insecure.

And summer, I want to go the beach every chance I get; I want to see what a tan would look like on me. Maybe learn how to swim :bigsmile:

PseudoLoneWolf

I guess it has to do a bit with obssessivety. You get stuck on stuff and miss the other parts like fun etc. I tend to obssess a lot. I used to be fun and joking but now living feels like a chore

Scrobes

For a long time it was like I've forgotten how to simply have fun and enjoy things, social interactions, etc. It seemed like a chore, going through the motions, feeling bothered and uptight. Questioning my every move and those of others.

Lately with ups and downs and mood swings I've been able to get some of my "old" self back and it's really releiving. Being more loose, making jokes, etc. This really helps my overall mood but it's still a daily battle. Depression was really such a lifesucking b*tch. But the fact that I'm able to enjoy and laugh at things again and without the use of drugs or alcohol tells me that this part of me isn't dead and that is hopeful.

I was wondering if others feel the same way. Do you take life too seriously?

I can totally relate to this. I honestly sometimes wonder if I was born without parts of my brain. ;o It's like I don't actually know how to "live" and I never read the book to teach yourself.

I could write a thesis on this, because of having few responsibilities, and thus a lot of time to ruminate. I see people laugh and be spontaneous, they go out and be social and *seem* to enjoy themselves. But I truly cannot wrap my head around it. None of this comes natural to me. I feel like a robot. There is an entire slew of elements all threaded into this, with many factors contributing and deflecting off each other to create a gigantic, heaving mass of cause/effect, but I am too weary to attempt to explain all of it right now.

One thing I think contributes to it is that on some weird intuitive level I feel I understand how people work, and once I've been around someone for a few mins (just need to see them 'move'), I know what sort of person they are like, and I no longer really have a spark in me to get to know them. Maybe I am deluded, maybe I am judgmental, maybe it's a blessing, but I don't know if it is. Ah, I'm rambling a bit now. Anyway, it might just be that I could be a very boring person. ;)

gustavofring

Yes, I do, though it doesn't seem like it. Sometimes I feel like I don't take it serious enough because I refuse to live the high-stress lifestyles much of the rest of my generation seems to be taking on. Then I feel bad for being a "slacker", when in reality taking on too much drains me and causes me to nearly have a mental breakdown.

Yeah, I can relate to this. But I must say now that I have job I feel a lot better then when I was unemployed. When I was unemployed I was constantly in stress, and had the feeling of not taking life seriously enough, of not doing enough, of being behind everyone, etc. It was a stagnation in life and this drained me mentally and made me a very dull and grumpy person.

Now that I have more balance in free time and work, I am finding a lot more fun in things like friendly social interactions and books/movies/sports etc. The job I have now is only 3 nights a week, it's not the best financially, and it's not what I studied for, but atleast it makes me feel part of the living society again instead of being a person wasting away time feeling miserable and procrastinating and I can also work on my other career in off days. Though I still have to find my way again in that career.

Last edited:

silly

I think it's always nice to take your life too seriously, if you really have some aims to achieve in your life and eager to get there. Otherwise people who don,t they find there selves no where, at some stage in there lives.

Last edited:

nodejesque

I feel the same way... for me, I tend to over analyze situations. I try To partake in social situations at work and at home, and although I can talk and joke with them.. I feel its an act. Its as if ultimately, I really don't belong. But yes, I do know I take things too seriously. Then im just left with this clusterfrak of issues that slowly are consuming me. Rationally I know I need to stop, I just don't know how.