[Job] Customer Service and SA

Gray

A small number of years ago i came to this forum, pretty much when i was at my worst with social anxiety and life in general. It seems my last post was about waiting to be seen on the NHS/UK for a number of cognitive therapy sessions.

It was a long road, with many transfers to different people, but i eventually did get a therapist/councillor who was trained in what i was going through. At the time of seeing them, i was unemployed/jobseekers.

Progress was slow, mainly because i was still reluctant at going out. I obviously had to leave the house to go the jobcentre as well as the councilling sessions, but that was about all i mustered. In the end, the therapist wanted me to take the plunge, and start simple towards the end of 2010.

Nothing major, but just go shopping, or browse around. So then, one Friday (i remember it well!) i decided to go for some petrol for my car, when i just had the sudden urge to say "meh, you know what - i might as well go to the supermarket and have a quick browse around..."

Just as i entered the carpark, the guy who i was listening to on the radio said "and you can be sure all the shops are going to busy today because its Black Friday!". I had no idea. If i had known i would have probably passed up the opportunity, but since i was there - why not. So i stayed there for about 10 minutes having a browse around, and i was fine.

The mental thoughts of "people must be looking at me..." vanished, because i relised that they where far too busy with their own thing to bother about someone like me. So i made the first solid progress in a long while. A few days later, the jobcentre told me that i had to go on a training course.

The worry came right back at me. I had to go Monday to Friday on a return to work course. My last job at this point was 3-4 years previous, working in Customer Services. It essentially left a bitter taste in my mouth, due to events which unfolded during my time there.

While i was a good person to talk too over the phone, i never had any social abilities. I knew how to get a job done with a customer, but if they deviated away from my job - ala, to have a small chat, i would throw up a huge blank and try to avoid the situation entirely. If a customer argued with me, i wouldn't argue back, and they would therefor win the battle of the wits.

I hated it and it depressed me hugely.

But while i was now in the present, fresh from being out of work for so long - I ended up getting quite... Excited about finding a new place of work. I wanted a job, i felt ready. I wasn't going to let the anxiety stop me. The course was 2 weeks long, unfortunately in that time i didn't find a job, so i was left disapointed.

But the jobcentre never gave up that easy, a few weeks later, they ended up putting me on a 10 week training course, which would start the week prior to Christmas 2010. It was essentially the same thing as i did the weeks previous, but on a larger scale.

I was left nervous by it though. People who had been on the course before said it was soul-consuming, and you would hate every second of it. What made it even more challenging was that there was no car spaces in the actual area - So i had to go through a busy shopping centre every day (Christmas too, don't forget).

I got on with it though, my confidence was getting better, and it got to the point that my councillor for the Cognitive Therapy signed me off, saying there was nothing more she could do. I was okay with it though, the year of 2011 started and i had no lack of confidence.

To cap off the perfect start to the year - The training course (Which i actually enjoyed) found me a job. First job in 4 years... In customer services. I could sense the anxiety creeping back in slightly, i was once again on a training course - This time provided by my new employers.

I thought i would struggle. Some of the stuff went over my head so much, but in the end it worked out. I was quiet at first in training, i kept to myself. But i have to say, the people who were starting with me where awesome. They where very welcoming to me, which settled my nerves somewhat, however, as with every story there is also the aspect of "love and heartbreak!"

I did grow fond of a girl who started in our training too. She had been living abroad for a few years, and only returned the week previous to us starting our training. She is a very good looking girl, but at the same time, such a nice person to talk too. I said to myself "she has been back now for just a few days... She said shes living at home... She has to be single..."

So. It should be noted i am a hopeless romantic, and a failure at all things "love and harmony". It was going to be difficult asking her out. So, in my head, i planned out perfectly** how i was going to do it.

We would walk out of work together. I would look around and see if anyone was near us, and then i would ask her a simple question like "so, you doing anything this weekend?" Her answer would hopefully be no, which would lead me on to saying "Oh great... You wanna do something?" And dadaaa. I never planned further than that, because i would be expecting her to say no anyway.

Sure enough! The opportunity made itself.I was bricking it good and proper... She said she wasn't doing anything... But at that point i blanked out. It was that bad. I rushed. And thus, was crushed. But at the same time, i tried going back over my thoughts and was thinking "did i come out and clearly say what i was thinking? Did she misunderstand me?" So it left a huge void.

The next day was like normal. Though i was hesitant. But she seemed okay. But i dared not ask a second time, because that might well have freaked her out, and i particularly didn't want to lose her as a friend.

So, my feelings where still there. It was then a few days later where i was properly crushed. I found out she did have a boyfriend - Except he was in a foreign country. So my intuition was right, with the fact that she was single at this very moment, but she wasn't.

He wasn't in the country. And unfortunately its been a few weeks now since i found out, i haven't been able to "switch off" my feelings towards her. I know shes taken, but there is a whole "what if?" which is swirling around my head.

We're out of training now. But we're on different teams. I always hope to sit near her, just to keep in contact, but with the way the environment in the workplace is, it isn't always possible. It's just a shame now though that we can't hold a one-to-one conversation now, it's the one thing that brightens up my day pretty much!

This was initially mean't be be about the job within Customer Services and having anxiety, but it's been semi-derailed due to events which are transpiring. But basically, i have been told by my manager (and other managers) that i am excellent on the phones talking to customers.

It gives me great confidence to know this. However, inside i am a nervous wreck. I want to get off the phones as soon as possible, because i can't hold conversations. As with my previous employment, if the call diverts away from the actual query, i am screwed.

My stats are pretty poor when it comes to handling call times, but are excellent in other areas. This is down to dragging calls out, because i don't want to hold a conversation with customers.

It's unfortunate that i had to get another job in customer services, i really didn't want to in the slightest, but the upside is that it has given me a lot of new friends who are all great, and my social anxiety is being held back once again.

-

Really hate how long i always make these damn posts, it's never my intention when i start typing on the first line. *sigh*

D

deleted user 1

That was very uplifting, thanks for sharing your story :)

maiato

Banned
I worked 1year and a half in a CALL-CENTER...best time of my life! Weird...but never felt anxiety during the calls!

Keep the good work and there are still plenty of girls out there : )

Deus_Ex_Lemur

...I was left nervous by it though. People who had been on the course before said it was soul-consuming, and you would hate every second of it. What made it even more challenging was that there was no car spaces in the actual area - So i had to go through a busy shopping centre every day (Christmas too, don't forget).

I got on with it though, my confidence was getting better, and it got to the point that my councillor for the Cognitive Therapy signed me off, saying there was nothing more she could do. I was okay with it though, the year of 2011 started and i had no lack of confidence.

To cap off the perfect start to the year - The training course (Which i actually enjoyed) found me a job. First job in 4 years... In customer services. I could sense the anxiety creeping back in slightly, i was once again on a training course - This time provided by my new employers.

I thought i would struggle. Some of the stuff went over my head so much, but in the end it worked out. I was quiet at first in training, i kept to myself. But i have to say, the people who were starting with me where awesome. They where very welcoming to me, which settled my nerves somewhat, however, as with every story there is also the aspect of "love and heartbreak!"

I did grow fond of a girl who started in our training too. She had been living abroad for a few years, and only returned the week previous to us starting our training. She is a very good looking girl, but at the same time, such a nice person to talk too. I said to myself "she has been back now for just a few days... She said shes living at home... She has to be single..."

So. It should be noted i am a hopeless romantic, and a failure at all things "love and harmony". It was going to be difficult asking her out. So, in my head, i planned out perfectly** how i was going to do it.

We would walk out of work together. I would look around and see if anyone was near us, and then i would ask her a simple question like "so, you doing anything this weekend?" Her answer would hopefully be no, which would lead me on to saying "Oh great... You wanna do something?" And dadaaa. I never planned further than that, because i would be expecting her to say no anyway.

Sure enough! The opportunity made itself.I was bricking it good and proper... She said she wasn't doing anything... But at that point i blanked out. It was that bad. I rushed. And thus, was crushed. But at the same time, i tried going back over my thoughts and was thinking "did i come out and clearly say what i was thinking? Did she misunderstand me?" So it left a huge void.

The next day was like normal. Though i was hesitant. But she seemed okay. But i dared not ask a second time, because that might well have freaked her out, and i particularly didn't want to lose her as a friend.

So, my feelings where still there. It was then a few days later where i was properly crushed. I found out she did have a boyfriend - Except he was in a foreign country. So my intuition was right, with the fact that she was single at this very moment, but she wasn't.

He wasn't in the country. And unfortunately its been a few weeks now since i found out, i haven't been able to "switch off" my feelings towards her. I know shes taken, but there is a whole "what if?" which is swirling around my head... It's unfortunate that i had to get another job in customer services, i really didn't want to in the slightest, but the upside is that it has given me a lot of new friends who are all great, and my social anxiety is being held back once again.

-

Really hate how long i always make these damn posts, it's never my intention when i start typing on the first line. *sigh*

Okay, read everything, this is weird for me because a lot here I've had very similar experience.

I joined this site when you did - after I lost my job - I didn't work at a call center... but retail - involving customers. Small toy store. I initially got it Black Friday basically similar when you did; had it for 2, 2 1/2 years. Best days of life. Didn't start that way - took a bit to become that and for me to get comfortable and SA wasn't cured - still had it - but I grew and changed light years. Friends, etc. Luckily great ppl there to help like you. That's a must frankly.

Doing this multiple days a week with school just was great medicine for SA.

I had a similar experience with a girl. LITERALLY - your story I could have wrote that. I had my chance - blew it like you same way - however - this other girl there, I ended up going out with ironically. Happened randomly wont get into it but I had no focus on her so maybe that helped as was no pressure and frankly she was more my type anyways. But that's a whole other story =) ANYWAYS...

Everything went south when that job was lost - SO - keep up if it's a new job or whatever!!! Dont get back into old ways it can easily happen - everything is a step forward and experience. You'll get there... and be better.

Gray

The anxiety during the calls only usually flares up if it's a difficult call. Inside, i feel sympathetic to the customer for going through the issues - but on the outside, its like a hardshell that won't crack.

It essentially makes me seem as if i am uncaring, when infact it isn't. It gets even worse if there is someone who is listening to you on the call, who is maybe sat next to you because then the pressure gets even worse, because i end up feeling embarassed that i'm getting verbally battered by the customers.

I just don't feel suited to customer services, but during this time where it's hard to find a job you can't complain too much. Upto now this is only temporary through agency work, with the potential chance to stay in a couple of weeks. But i'm trying to keep an open mind, and making sure my CV is as upto date as possible.

I really wanted to work in a console/games store before i got this job, while the money is probably less it feels like it would be "my" type of job. Unfortunately they weren't taking on at the time, but hopefully once i get a few months under my belt of working it may well change. Again though, the only concern is working in retail.

I've done it before, and i enjoyed it greatly, and unlike being on the phones you can connect on a personal level with customers, and thus, i can show i do actually care, rather than just being a monotone voice over the telephones.

It would help if i did go out more, in a few weeks its going to be my birthday, which falls on a work day. I'm generally never fussed about special occasions, but due to it being on a Friday, the options for "wanna come out for a birthday treat??" to/from work collegues could be a treat, i seem to be looking forward to it more so.

Gray

Well over the past few days it feels like things where getting worse while in work.

Each day we're in, we get stats for the previous days work that we did. This usually involves how many calls you had taken, the average time that you where on the calls and things like breaks et al.

The one consistant feature that i have had (Since day one essentially) is that my call handling time (The amount of time you spend on a call) is quite significant. However, it now seems that i am the only one on the team who has consistantly high call levels.

If someone else on the team had high call levels too, i wouldn't be too fussed. But now i am the only one, and while i was in work i started to feel frustrated and annoyed at myself for failing, not just for myself - but for the team as well, who are taking an obvious hit.

The end result will be simple though, since i am only temporary, the chances of me being taken on once the grace period has ended would be slim at the best of chances.

When i speak to my customers, i don't rush them, i speak clearly and calmly so that they can understand me, i was even told by my manager that one of the "higher ups" was sat next to me one day, and they was thoroughly impressed with how i spoke to customers. That did make me happy, but all this feels like it is in tatters now.

After i seen my stats while in work yesterday, something inside of me "clicked" and i wasn't completely friendly anymore. If the customer took more time than needed to solve their issue, i would become massively frustrated with them knowing that they're the reason why my call time is getting high.

I went home pretty much dejected with the whole day, which is very unlike me. I felt this anxiety which i had kerbed for the past 2-3 months finally starting to creep back in to a point i was thinking about it long after going bed. It was then i relised something quite important.

I was signed off the NHS/Cognitive Therapy program just before Christmas, because my social anxiety felt like it had been taken care of. Which in fairness it had. But that was my only focal point. I never went about ways to tackle my actual anxiety.

Luckily, i scanned a sheet of paper which was provided to me by the therapist, very simple thing which you write down details about the situation which causes it and the automatic thoughts that you get. So i will print it off and take it into work and if needed, i will fill it out.

This then leaves me with one final dilemma. Should i tell my manager. If i do, it can go one of two ways. He can understand, and give me some lee-way (Hm, unlikely...) or alternatively, he can tell the agency i work for, and they release me from my contract citing medical/health reasons.

Its all very up in the air at the moment, but i am now dreading what my call stats are like for yesterday.

Shygirl2011

Customer Service is great, I work at CVS myself and it's actually helped me with my shyness. I am able to talk without fear to my regulars and my coworkers are really supportive and caring: they are like a second family.

Alistair

I hear ya there. I still don't like people, or dealing with them, but I have to admit since I've been promoted to Team Leader about 5 years ago (Before I was really, really bad.) it has taught me to be a little bit more sociable, and how to deal with social problems.

I mean, I already know how people tick for the most part, but actually coming to a resolution, and dealing with yelling, annoying people? Yeah. That was a whole new experience that taught me people suck more! Haha. At any rate, I have to admit it has made me more confident to deal with people I could careless about. =) Now, people I care about? A little different, but all in all it's really made me a more insensitive person. =(

Jerk? Maybe. That's just my view how things seem to appear to me.