Jobs for shy people

Triselle

um.. author, artist, cleaner (janitor, maid, gardener), secretary maybe, photographer, stocker at walmart or target or something. UPS (great job lots of benifits), library, cook. Hotel maid or something.

Almost every place has some aspect of work where you are not working with the people. You could work at a restaurant as a busser or a cook or cleaner.. there is always a part of the industry where you don't come in contact with people or usually

I agree with those jobs. But in my opinion, being a shy person is about improving you're self-esteem. There's nothing wrong with being a author, artist, cleaner, secretary ect. I suggest applying for a job that will grow you're self-esteem i.e a job for extroverted people.

jamie99

Truck driving is one. If you can get local work it's not that bad and the pay is really good.

Fuel Station Attendant (my job) certainty isn't good for shy people. I used to be essentially a janitor before they promoted me, not only was it less interaction with people, it appealed to my OCD and desire to clean everything I see that is dirty.

Mikefly

Brickmasonry, landscapping, Online jobs if they aren't all scams, My therapist told me people with social anxiety like to work indepently / by themselves most of the time. Alot of odd jobs out there but it's tough to make ends meat just doing odd jobs. Working with family is always good because they're usually understanding. Delivering newspapers during graveyard shift and alot of other jobs working late at night when people aren't around as much. Janitor is a good one also.

Mikefly

Truck driving is one. If you can get local work it's not that bad and the pay is really good.

Truck Driving yah that's a good job to be by yourself and make money but i don't think it's good for people who get shook up really easy driving. If you wreck one of those things you could kill a ton of people, personally i don't think it's good for people with social anxiety besides the solitude.

limetree

uh, currently mooching off parents, but I'm still young and living in the moment like those new age self-help books tell you to... :rolleyes:

I used to want to become a counsellor, how ironic, now I'm not so sure... maybe a librarian or check out chick at a record store. I spend way too much time thinking about whether I would enjoy something than actually trying it. It's like I don't trust myself enough to invest in any particular path and I'm too shy to apply for anything even though it's irrational to fear rejection when it comes down to matters of self-preservation. (I'll do it tomorrow)

I'm planning to work temporarily as a receptionist for my parents' business so I can try to get used to people until I figure out what I really want to do with my life. Atm all jobs either seem too boring/monotonous or too demanding. (don't mean to sound like a spoilt brat, just assessing job compatibility based on discipline levels..)

I would be happy doing solitary work as long as I had a balance of close and meaningful relationships in my life. Advertising on websites is a clever idea but I'm not clever enough to implement it, pah.

neko

I don't have a job, atm... I'm trying to look into what I could do in case my first idea doesn't work, doing freelance online translation. I have few ideas of what I could do... I never worked before, I have no experience and I have no idea what to put on the CV, it's completely BLANK. Plus, my social skills lack much. ;_;

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER

I did that for a short time, it was great because there was so little social interaction. But the rigors of meeting deadlines and the constant heavy-traffic maneuvering was a complete drain.

I'm very artistic, and were it not for the fact that I'm so reclusive, I'm sure I could make a great living in that area. I've done a little freelance work, but it's soul-crushing to have to meet the expectations and limits of someone else's ideas. Working with faceless internet clients who are impossible to talk into seeing things your way was just really frustrating.

Miami

in my experience, it is better to get a job where you have some social interactions. I work in a store now and deal with people everyday. A couple years ago I would've rather that someone kill me then be in the position I am in at work. I did it in small steps and got comfortable dealing with people little by little.

mitchellb999

I'm considering that but I hear that the working conditions are bad for OTR drivers. The jobs with better working conditions only go to those with experience.

Squishy

I'm trying to get work in a shop atm only because I don't really know what else to do, and every one else my age seems to be working in shops. I think If I actually get any replies I'll freak out, unless I just work in the stock room and stack shelves but I think most places want you to work on tills too. I don;t want no social interaction in a job because I'd get lonely, but I don't want constant interaction with different people.

Qoo

Any job that can works online would be a best choice for shy people,but most online jobs are scam or hardly make money for living;)

Harleyq

I'm considering that but I hear that the working conditions are bad for OTR drivers. The jobs with better working conditions only go to those with experience.

I looked into this as well and I found out that drivers only get paid for the time spent driving. So if you have overnight trips, any time you're at a truckstop for a rest, you're pretty much on your own time.

IDK, though. I mean, driving for 8-10 hours isn't so bad and it's still a full work day. I still need to find out how much their salaries are.

Lonelykitsune

Being an undertakr or mortician?the familis of the dead dont intract too much and your "clients" arepretty quiet.
I cant really think of much jobs,maybe if you hav talnt you could be an artist,but youd have to find people to show your work or something.I really dont know,and i dread the day when i have to get employment.Probably chicken out from every interview..

But does anyone know what you need to have to be a pilot our how many people you have to interact with?Its my dream to fly planes,but i may hav to forget about it.(plus i cant afford lessons at my age).Or a vet,id like that too but not if theres lots of maths(ive ruled out any jobs with lots of maths)

Last edited:

Jake123

Banned
Being an undertakr or mortician?the familis of the dead dont intract too much and your "clients" arepretty quiet.
I cant really think of much jobs,maybe if you hav talnt you could be an artist,but youd have to find people to show your work or something.I really dont know,and i dread the day when i have to get employment.Probably chicken out from every interview..

But does anyone know what you need to have to be a pilot our how many people you have to interact with?Its my dream to fly planes,but i may hav to forget about it.(plus i cant afford lessons at my age).Or a vet,id like that too but not if theres lots of maths(ive ruled out any jobs with lots of maths)

Come to Miami, if a terrorist could easily get a pilot license here without even learning how to land the plane (they only taught him how to *fly* it), anyone can do it! :D

dedflagblues

I work as a graphic designer. I have to interact with some people but not on a personal level. I'm okay dealing with work talk because the subject of conversation is already obvious to me. It's the social crap, like "what did you do this weekend?" that kills me. So I'm the quiet unfriendly girl who is always hooked up to her headphones. I just sit at my desk, do my work with minimal interaction, and go home at the end of the day. It's like I told my boss, I just want to be left alone because that's what helps me do the best work.

But you know, I'm starting to come around to the idea that being shy is not something I need to be. So I really, really want to try to get out of this. Sometimes I can but I have to keep practicing and interacting with people for it to stick. I was doing well for a while and then I went on vacation and when I came back, I was back to unfriendly me. I've stayed that way for 2 years.

Voltar

When I was at school I always knew I would struggle if I had to interact face to face with many people each day when I entered the working world. Luckily I have the entrepreneurial spirit and decided early on I would create a job for myself by starting a business and becoming self-employed.

If you think you could see yourself running a business I would recommend looking into this while you are in education or already in a job as an alternative or something to work towards. If you have a talent for anything it is very likely you can make more money working freelance than working for a company.

Having said this, unless you have a burning passion early on it is always better to learn in the safe environment of being employed as you will benefit from knowing how your chosen profession/ skillset fits in to the economy and important things like understanding how the company finds clients, builds relationships satisfies their needs and makes sales. This way if you did decide to give it a shot on your own, you know exactly what you need to get started and possibly take some clients with you.

I am 31 now and have struggled with having SA and being socially inept for as long as I can remember and being able to run my own business has basically given me a much better quality of life. You get to live life on your own terms and chose to a large extent who you interact with, for how long, when and where.

I would also say that if you are young and get the opportunity, go to university as it will open up a whole new world for you and very likely make you feel a lot more confident with yourself and interacting with other people. I went to uni when I was 18 and there are all kinds of weird people just like you and me! You will definitely meet new friends who will help you deal with your SA. After this experience I guarantee a lot more jobs will be open to you and you can find a great paying career job to suit your needs.
Here are some ideas and places to look for jobs that might suit you:

Check out freelancing sites like Elance, Rentacoder, peopleperhour and freelancing forums. These sites collectively serve up a huge array of option for different jobs that companies are trying to get done by finding freelancers to do them. You can search their databases for projects that would suit your skills.

Virtual assistant – like an online secretary that carries out administrative tasks, writing, data entry but working from home instead of an office, and working for yourself

Look at all the things selling on ebay. Behind these auctions is an army of small businesses and one man bands selling products (and services through classifieds) they stock or may even just take orders for and get another company to drop-ship for them.

All these jobs are things you can do from your home. It may take time to get jobs and build up a portfolio but it will add to your income and enable you to earn a nice side-income doing something you enjoy or at least do the work in an environment you are comfortable with.