Jury Duty

Scottish_Player

Has anyone here done Jury Duty? i got a letter this morning telling me that my name has been put forward and will be on the list for 2 years :?

I would like to do it for the experience of it, ive never been in a court (they never have caught me :p ) its just the idea of having to share lunch breaks and stuff with complete strangers.

Anyone got any stories on jury duty and maybe even advice on how to get out of it :p

Horatio

I got called up a few months ago and given a date I had to show up to court on, I got out of it by getting my employer to write a letter saying there was no way I could take the time off work

wouldve been cool to have seen court dynamics but I never like situations where Im in a room with a lot of strangers especially when it is innapropriate for me to just get up and walk out if I get too uncomfortable

LittleMissScareAll

I got a doctor's note to get me out of it...and on the paper I had to return, I put that I was severely depressed and that I had social anxiety...so they said that alone probably would have got me off anyway...but they said I may eventually have to go in anyway...but if I do, I'm going to do what my uncle did. I'm going to say "HANG THEM!"(as their punishment) :wink: He said they would automatically let you go then...I don't know if that's really true but hey, it's worth a try.

arrina

hey, I got that same letter just about a month ago from sheriff court but as i am no longer in Edinburgh din't have to do it. Dont know how you would get out of it though unless you said your possibly moving out of town or something in the near future. Could be interesting experience though and then again they might not even call you!!

munch

I've done it. It was about 4 years ago. I recieved the letter over the christmas holiday, it totally ruined my break! I spent ages worrying about every single little aspect of it that i could possibly think of. I never even thought about being able to get out of it, i didn't know then that what was wrong with me was a recognised condition so it didn't occur to me to go to the doctors.

Anyway, despite weeks of sleepless nights leading up to it i actually really enjoyed it. The people there were all in the same boat, nobody knew each other and most were unaware of what to expect. I was lucky as i got onto three cases but some people were sat waiting for a couple of days with nothing to do but read (tip - take a good book). You should be allowed to leave the premises at lunchtime, that's what we could do as long as we were back in time.

young

i had a drs not for anxiety, and saying i would be a poor canidate for jury duty. so i didn't have to go.

you could tell them that you are racist. that would get you out.

Scottish_Player

I've got my jury duty at 2pm its now 12.43 as iam typing this and iam leavin at 1pm and iam absoultly terrifred of not knowing???? i cant stand waiting on things its just gets me really anxious and being in amonsgst a whole load of people in the court aint gonna help much either, i havent slept at all last night and i mean not 1 wink, ive been up, my hands are shaking everything seems echoy in my head and i feel so unreal, ive not felt this bad in a long time :? I just hope i dont pass out in the court lol i havent had anything to eat all morning which i know wont help but i feel to anxious to eat.

One part of me reallly wants to do this, it will be like overcoming a hugh step but the other part is telling me to run? I asked my dad to phone in sick for me (he dosent know my real condition) i told him i feel too tired but he said they wont go for it and i'll have to go.

Well its 12.52 (can you tell iam clcok watching lol) tick tock tick tock so i better go get my trainers on a go put so criminals in jail lol

Wish me luck :?