Just an opinion

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Okay. I've seen the feedback I got, and it seems that many of you wanted to hear what I think about this topic, so here we go.

I'm going to copypaste this post I made on the Facebook group. Also, excuse my language.

You know, guys... I think I am starting to understand a little all of this "you're too nice" move that some girls use when they don't feel like you are their type. I don't think it applies to every single girl, some are bitches, some aren't. But I will refer to those who aren't.

Just a theory:

I've been talking to someone I met on DA, through private messages, for quite a while. While the guy is polite, smart, caring, etc. He has something that sometimes makes me feel rather uncomfortable. He compliments me too f*cking much.

There's nothing wrong with complimenting someone. Though, I am the type of person who doesn't like to be complimented in excess, I don't like being put on a golden pedestal. Some girls do like to get their a$$ kissed like this, well, I don't.
I am 99% sure that the guy is just trying to be nice, which is NOT a bad thing. But anything in excess is not good either. He sometimes spends a really long time just talking about me and how good, attractive, intelligent, etc. he thinks I am. Sure, I do appreciate the words (even though, I don't think I am all of that) but we are reaching a point in where I'm starting to feel too... strange. And not in a good way.

No, I don't find it creepy. I find it too excessive. Like I said, I don't like it when people try to kiss my a$$. I like conversations to be two sided, not all about me and nothing about them. So, my assumption is that some girls feel the same way when they're approached by a guy who is maybe a newbie or unsure about how to communicate well. And not all people know how to word things correctly. "You are too nice" is probably the easiest way to explain themselves.

I personally would say "Dude, calm down with the compliments, it's awkward. Let's just be equals, m'kay?". That's because I'm blunt and an a$$hole at times. But others, most people, try not to be like this, not openly at least.

So there you go. From my own perspective, why the "you're too nice" might happen. No, it's not because you're actually nice. It's because you might be kissing a$$. Believe me, it can be very awkward for the person you talk to, unless they have an ego the size of the Sun.

I'm going to add one more thing before hitting "submit". I am perfectly aware that there's stupid people in the world who reject others for the lulz and for a number of other nonsensical reasons. So no, I am not justifying ALL rejections.
Second, I am speaking from a personal experience, but I assume that I'm not the only one who's gone through this, and I'm certain that there are others like this guy. To those who are like this guy, try to be balanced. Don't smother the other person in compliments and don't go to the extreme of thinking "I have to be a jerk".

Tl;dr: Don't kiss a$$ because it's awkward.

Nathália

Hellhound you're so intelligent, you're a like a queen. It's so amazing how you string words together like this tell me more because your presence is like a slice of heaven. :bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:

* It may look like I'm an a** hole, but it's to illustrate that I get what you're saying with dramatics and sarcasm, stuff like that in excess can make others uncomfortable *

I think I see where you are coming from. I would love someone to be kind towards me and treat me with respect, but I would also like a realtionship with depth. Not wanting someone to be submissive all the time I just don't see how that equals not wanting a nice person. I'm a submissive person, but I also like balance. Sure flattering can feel nice and I can appreciate it, I give out compliments, but people do not need to be complimented in excess. Too much of anything can be no bueno, but I guess different strokes for different folks?

twiggle

I know what you mean, Hellhound.

If it seems like a guy is making too much an effort to say such things, it makes me wonder if they really like me, or if they just really want a gf

Edit: Juuuuuuuust my opinion. I know that girls can be the same way.

jaim38

So the whole time he was complimenting you, did you compliment him back? Maybe it's his culture, his way of being polite. Did you try asking him why he was so nice to you?

Hellhound

Super Moderator
So the whole time he was complimenting you, did you compliment him back? Maybe it's his culture, his way of being polite. Did you try asking him why he was so nice to you?

I usually don't "compliment back" because it feels as if I must say something because they said something. I wait for the right moment when I want to compliment someone, I want to be genuine.

But to answer your question, I have complimented him, yes. Asking him why he was being so nice? I believe he just wants to be friendly. But yes, I should ask the next time we talk.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Hellhound you're so intelligent, you're a like a queen. It's so amazing how you string words together like this tell me more because your presence is like a slice of heaven. :bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:

I see what you did there

jaim38

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'm more assertive at home with my parents and sibling but with strangers, I can be an a** kisser. I try so hard to communicate nicely to people that I probably sound like I'm stroking their egos. It was your post that made me realize this for the first time. I think I became an a** kisser because in the past, many people hated me. My classmates didn't like me, my neighbors didn't like me, my relatives didn't like me, and I was always figuring out why. So I guess I tried to be nicer to people in hopes that they will like me, or just stop bullying me for once. I don't know if I went too far though.

Nathália

I see where it can make people worry out of fear that they are being too nice. Being a nice person does not make anyone a "pushover", I get along with people that are really sweet just fine, that's just them to be so loving and kind. The way I look at is someone on top of another not giving them any breathing room and space but that's how I interpret it. It's not really about how sweet someone is rather how...idk maybe aggressive would be the word? That's just my view. I like a person that is really nice hopefully this makes sense....I'm not the best at explaining things all the time. I complimented hellhound because it was not really related to anything that she just said, hoping that it would make more sense if I put it that way, but yeah I'm going stop here because I might be confusing people even more.

Last edited:

Xervello

Okay. I've seen the feedback I got, and it seems that many of you wanted to hear what I think about this topic, so here we go.

I'm going to copypaste this post I made on the Facebook group. Also, excuse my language.

You know, guys... I think I am starting to understand a little all of this "you're too nice" move that some girls use when they don't feel like you are their type. I don't think it applies to every single girl, some are bitches, some aren't. But I will refer to those who aren't.

Just a theory:

I've been talking to someone I met on DA, through private messages, for quite a while. While the guy is polite, smart, caring, etc. He has something that sometimes makes me feel rather uncomfortable. He compliments me too f*cking much.

There's nothing wrong with complimenting someone. Though, I am the type of person who doesn't like to be complimented in excess, I don't like being put on a golden pedestal. Some girls do like to get their a$$ kissed like this, well, I don't.
I am 99% sure that the guy is just trying to be nice, which is NOT a bad thing. But anything in excess is not good either. He sometimes spends a really long time just talking about me and how good, attractive, intelligent, etc. he thinks I am. Sure, I do appreciate the words (even though, I don't think I am all of that) but we are reaching a point in where I'm starting to feel too... strange. And not in a good way.

No, I don't find it creepy. I find it too excessive. Like I said, I don't like it when people try to kiss my a$$. I like conversations to be two sided, not all about me and nothing about them. So, my assumption is that some girls feel the same way when they're approached by a guy who is maybe a newbie or unsure about how to communicate well. And not all people know how to word things correctly. "You are too nice" is probably the easiest way to explain themselves.

I personally would say "Dude, calm down with the compliments, it's awkward. Let's just be equals, m'kay?". That's because I'm blunt and an a$$hole at times. But others, most people, try not to be like this, not openly at least.

So there you go. From my own perspective, why the "you're too nice" might happen. No, it's not because you're actually nice. It's because you might be kissing a$$. Believe me, it can be very awkward for the person you talk to, unless they have an ego the size of the Sun.

I'm going to add one more thing before hitting "submit". I am perfectly aware that there's stupid people in the world who reject others for the lulz and for a number of other nonsensical reasons. So no, I am not justifying ALL rejections.
Second, I am speaking from a personal experience, but I assume that I'm not the only one who's gone through this, and I'm certain that there are others like this guy. To those who are like this guy, try to be balanced. Don't smother the other person in compliments and don't go to the extreme of thinking "I have to be a jerk".

Tl;dr: Don't kiss a$$ because it's awkward.

I think that's spot-on. :thumbup:

hidwell

I don't think anyone could ever accuse me of being too nice. I tend to opt for the truth in a diplomatic way, or be blunt if I'm in a sh@tty mood which is quite often.

KiaKaha

Banned
People are attracted to other people who they see as equals. Being subservient to one via over complimenting negates that. It goes both ways.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying in its own right. Personally I would never put a woman on a pedestal.

I think the nice guy syndrome and the friend zone is far more scientific and deeper than it may first seem - but most people seem to want to dismiss discussing it or simply put it down to guys who just feel jilted or who can't get their own way. I think it has a lot to do with reproduction, gender roles, social conditioning and motivation derived from an unconscious level - I also think the realization of this makes people feel uncomfortable.

and all that jazz...