just little me

Anonymous

OK here is my story.
I've been having social phobia for as long as I remember. But I didn't know there were such thing as social phobia until highschool when I did an assignment on it.
The biggest fear I have is going to dinners or parties where everyone sits down and talk. I feel so trapped there with everyone looking at me wondering why I am so quiet or wondering why I look so terrified. I total freak but I try to keep it together although I know they can tell on my face that I'm uncomfortable. I'm not so afraid of going out but more of running into someone I know. And it's even worse if they aren't alone...if they have a friend with them and you have to talk to them too.
I feel more comfortable talking to one person than with several ppl. Because I alwyas end up feeling left out. I also get very jealous that they get along so well and that they rather talk to eachother than with me, even though I know it's my own fault. :cry:
Im also afraid of going to big malls where I feel like everyone looks better than me or are having so much more fun than I am. Sometimes I get so depressed that I just want to escape...run away and be free.
I used to have good grades in highschool even though I hated being there. I hated the social situations but I'm glad I managed to gratuate. Unfortanetely I've dropping out of uni constantly because of SP. My parents are really worried they keep pushing me to finish uni which is something I also want but they dont understand that I can't do this becuase of my SP. I have a job now but i'm quitting it soon. It's just to hard when you have SP. unfortantely 99% of all work involves some sort of social situation.
So now I don't have any close friends, no bf and are still living home. Did I say that I never had a bf. Yup 21 and never been kissed :p Which Im not too sad about because I guess I have chosen that myself. I think I would be somewhat attractive if I didn't look so scared all the time and feeling like shit. But the main reason why I dont have a bf is that Im very scared of trusting ppl. Im scared to open up to strangers and even ppl I know. Im also very shy and I'm so scared of being judged by others.
I havent really told anyone about my SP except some few...I guess I'm ashamed.
I really want I bf though...even though I might pretend I don't. It would feel so great to be loved and cuddled. Did I say that I didnt get much love as a child. Perhaps this is where my insecurity comes from. I never recieved unconditional love, they judged me from my actions. Telling me they were embarrased of things I did or didn't do. I really feel lonely.

I wish I had someone who understood me and loved me no matter what. I think I it would help me overcome my SP. Well time will tell what the future holds in store for all of us. Good luck to you all. We sure need it :wink:

Alternator

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing your story!
I feel the same way you do and I'm sure many others here do too. You should pat yourself on thye back for giving uni a try, that shows that you're willing to fight this anxiety instead of laying in bed all day and not try to make things better. You shouldn't feel bad but not being loved as a child, a lot of times the opposite could cause just as much trouble in some cases. People who were too sheltered as children also tend to have Social Anxiety.

The only advice I can give you right now is to take your time and try to accomplish little tasks at a time. Maybe going to a shopping mall when it's not too busy, and then work your way up as you get more comfortable with it.

I strongly suggest the Social Anxiety Institute's Cognitive Behavioral Series ( http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.com/ ). It's a little expensive but it sure helps. It's not just another self help book, it teaches you how to do the therapy on your own and they have support groups all over the world.

Wish you the best
Alternator

Ice

Hi 21.
:D

Another story about SP which I can completely relate to. :D

My parents left me when I was six and I was brought up by my grandparents until 12. Hmmm... I think it does have something to do with SP.

Good luck!!! You can overcome SP!!!

Anonymous

hey. poke. :D it's good to tell your story.

i Know how you feel. On same road as you, I'm 16, never had a boyfriend and all the same things as you. Highschool is hard. I also feel like people don't want to talk to me and crowds scare me. Being so shy and quiet is hard. 8O hard i tell you!

i do wonder if how you were brought up has a role to play in this. i was and am really sheltered. but both my parents were really shy too.

ok well. poke. :D have a good day and remember, no matter what, no matter how terrible you have it, you control the glass through which you see life. even if you are so shy and lonely you can be happy! :wink: yay for that right.

Anonymous

My parents aren't really shy. But they did put me down a lot which made me feel very insecure. I think this is why I'm still like this today. I feel everyone is looking at me and judging me 8O 8O 8O Terrible feeling.