just wondering about something

exquisite

not really sure if this even belongs in the agoraphobia part of the site, but i figure, what the hey, even i don't know where this would belong.

alright, so does anyone else have an issue with going somewhere by themselves? like, i have no problem with going outside or going to classes [well, at least when i'm not drowning in severe depression]. yet, i seem to have some extreme issues with going somewhere like to the library or to a store, even shopping or a coffee shop, by myself. i feel like i always need to have someone with me to accompany me, whether it's my mom or one of my friends.. i feel dumb & like a fool when i go somewhere alone. is that just me?

not really sure if this even belongs in the agoraphobia part of the site, but i figure, what the hey, even i don't know where this would belong.

alright, so does anyone else have an issue with going somewhere by themselves? like, i have no problem with going outside or going to classes [well, at least when i'm not drowning in severe depression]. yet, i seem to have some extreme issues with going somewhere like to the library or to a store, even shopping or a coffee shop, by myself. i feel like i always need to have someone with me to accompany me, whether it's my mom or one of my friends.. i feel dumb & like a fool when i go somewhere alone. is that just me?

yep I feel weird, self-conscious and grumpy when i'm alone out in public. I tend to pretend that I'm in a hurry to get somewhere all the time. but when I'm with some friend Im chirpy and relaxed.

There are times when I do feel like being alone however. Like taking a solitary walk in the woods, or shopping (for practical reasons).

paintedblue

Yes I do. If I go somewhere like the store by myself I feel like I'm like another species on another planet or something and become really self conscious. However if I'm accompanied by someone, anybody at all, suddenly I feel human again and more confident, and yet if I go out like with a large group of people I feel out of place again. I guess its crowds that do it for me. One or two person's companion is fine but like a lot of people like a party or something and I'm a fish out of water.

Luke1993

Yes I do. If I go somewhere like the store by myself I feel like I'm like another species on another planet or something and become really self conscious. However if I'm accompanied by someone, anybody at all, suddenly I feel human again and more confident, and yet if I go out like with a large group of people I feel out of place again. I guess its crowds that do it for me. One or two person's companion is fine but like a lot of people like a party or something and I'm a fish out of water.

Did you just read my mind? Wow lol I'm the same

Aiyieeeee

All I know is me, so by now I've gotten pretty use to it. Going out by myself doesn't bother me.

I have gone through periods though. All of a sudden I got self conscious about going to the movies alone and there were a number of times I'd drive the whole hour there, get in the parking lot and park, turn my car off, freak out and try and talk myself up, look out and see the line of people, give up and just drive all the way back home.

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Yes. There's places I can go alone with no problem at all, and others i can't unless someone goes with me (i fear going alone). If no one can go with me, then i avoid going to that place :p