lip tremor

emmie

hi everyone i no ive mentioned this b4. :roll:
but does anyone suffer from a lip tremor when speakin to people i get like lots of little tics around my mouth and cheeks i hate it so much plz ifu hav a ny tips or advice i need them :?

Scottish_Player

one good tip is to avoid people :lol:

nah iam only joking,i get the lip thing aswell,i also get a little twitchy thing on my eye :roll: i have never realy found anyway of stopping it unfortunatly,sorry i cant help

avid_merrion

these tics are very normal when you suffer from an anxiety disorder they normally go away on their own and are treated well with beta blockers such as propranolol. They are only made worse when mindless idiots laugh at them and the sufferer is made aware that this is happening or at least thats my experience. I was told by my GP that these tics are normal when you have SP/SA etc and they go away on their own they are brought on by stress and lack of sleep.

Angie_05

I get those whenever I have to speak in front of a large group, like giving a speech for a class. I do agree that it is a symptom of the phobia. I feel like it is the same thing as shaking. No matter what I do they don't go away.

Hope

emmie said:
does anyone suffer from a lip tremor when speakin to people

I know the feeling. It was worse years ago when I was under more stress. I still get it when the dentist needs my mouth wide open for long periods - that plus a horrible time trying to avoid the swallowing reflex.

londoner21

yes i suffer with the whole lip thing asweel, i always chew gum and people dnt understand why, BUT!! all these beta blockers nonsense load of rubbish!..... there is no way to beat the lip tremor untill the day YOU stop looking inward on yourself staring at your every move and action, it may look and feel like it but knowone else actuall is!! its just you looking inward! staring at your own lip! the only ay to stop it is stop ebaing aware and that is the essense of social phobia. stop watching your self and watch the rest of the world like you were watching your tv!! :oops:

jonny

yup i got that

hey man, just wonderin......any1 hav the lip tremor all the time???.....i hav it real bad wen im spkin to people but even if im in my house or out in the car i can still feel it. must just b stress or sumin.....major shitter tho eh

Faded

oh sorry thts horrible i know! i cant even deal with my lip tremor the rite way i got bad habits from it .. like talking with my finger on my lip! it makes me looks stupid thu, cant stop!

Karail

I also get these and the only way i have found to stop them is to get out of the situation for a minute such a the bathroom and do the following:

1. Close your eyes
2. Breath in and out in continues breaths not stoping in between
3. Repeat for around 10 seconds.

this forces you to concentrate on breathing in continuesly breaths and clears your mind allowing you to regroup a little. it doesn't work for everyone but give it a try and let me know how you get on.

Duck

Wow I thought I was the only person in the world with this problem. I get lip tremor pretty much whenever I talk to people, and the more nervous I am the worse it is.

Just like londoner21 I always chew gum, it kinda helps absorb some of the tremors and makes speaking much easier, although it doesn't stop it altogether. People at my work probably think I'm mad chewing gum all the time.

I never used to have lip tremor or social phobia, i developed them after having a drink problem/dependency for a number of years. I don't drink anymore and hope that oneday soon i will overcome these problems. But till then it cripples me and shapes the life I lead and stops my true personality coming out.

Again as londoner21 says i think probably the only cure for this sort of problem is to not consider it a problem, then you don't have a problem! This can be easier said than done though.

Neebo

I also experience lip tremors too and I also get twitches in my eye as well. This only happens when I'm very anxious and nervous. I also get shaky legs too.

qipuqipu

I get shakey legs, but only when I'm presenting to a bunch of people or something. I try to ignore it basically :) People can be forgiving sometimes.

DougyFresh

I have been asking psychologists for 30 years if they had ever heard of such a thing as my lip tremor. Not one of them had ever heard of it. And then I come here and see that other people have it too.

I am like the fellow who said when he goes to the dentist he gets it. I also get it when I have to smile for a picture. I didn't take my picture all through High School due to this. It has ruined my whole life. I didn't do in life what I wanted to because of lip tremor and voice tremor.

Anybody out there run into any doctor who knows exactly what to do about this? Isn't there one expert in the world? I would love to get rid of it, at least before I die.

A_Massive_Tremor

Hey there this is my first post, and i relate completely with you people with lip tremors, actually this is the most frustrating thing ever i have it for more than 2 years but recently it has been controling my life in the way that i only go to social situations if my lip is not very tense.
I made a post recently on this forum->http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/mouth-fixation-t60861.html
Only a few people has this....it has to be a way to at least reduce the trembling so that we can abstract ourselves from the lip tension because:
like londoner21 said and very well if we stop looking inward and start not giving it attention its very probable that the tension will be reduced because the anxiety provoked by the thought that others might see our lip trembling makes the tension on the lip increase.
But in my case i already try to abstract my sef from it and its impossible because the trembling is overwhelming, sometimes i cant even smile properly i want to but i cant due to this shit :?
Is hypertension anyway related to this?
Does anyone have other thoughts about this?

Duck

Me bringing up an old thread. I last posted on this thread about 'lip tremor' almost 3 years ago! Things haven't got any better for me in this time. I still have bad lip tremor, its like a kind of speech impediment, i physically can't speak and say what i want to say when my lips are tense and tremoring. Severity varys, depending on how anxious i am, but speaking is virtually never easy. My life is crippled by this problem, and social anxiety, and its looks like things will never get any better.

SilentType

Banned
If you wanna relax, smoke a doobie. My lip tremors go away when I get baked. Another score for the herbal remedy.

Peace

IceLad

Thankfully I get lip tremors very rarely.

However, I remember vividly the last time I had one. I was a few months into a new job and I went to visit a colleague at my old place. Saying goodbye to her, my tip lip was twitching away. She took one look at it and turned quickly away.

I felt very frustrated and pretty bad afterwards- I'd gone through all the effort at going back to my old employer to catch up i.e. trying to be sociable and keep in touch with people, and I was 'let down' by that.