Little, but important, things that help me.

Makaylee

I know this may seem kind-of common sense, and played out... but this really has worked for me in the last couple of weeks.

When I was at my lowest point with SA, (yes, I'm doing a little better now, finally, I think!), I was constantly thinking about being anxious and worrying about having a panic attack or something of the sort. I never had anything else to think about, it was constantly on my mind. It just made everything worse, I see now. I realize that was what I was doing wrong... I was always thinking about MYSELF.

My trick is now:

I wake up in the morning, smile, and tell myself that this is a good day, and I may have to do that a few times again during the day.

You wouldn't believe how much that little thing helps.

When I am talking to people now, I try not to think about how I am going to get anxious or how I am going to sound stupid, I just give myself a little goal to reach in the conversation. Like, for the last couple of days, I am working on trying to make myself constantly talk positive to people, and am trying to get them to laugh atleast once.

You could set different goals for yourself, like maybe, trying to learn atleast 10 facts from someone about world events, music, movies, ect... Or, what I do with my sister, who makes me nervous sometimes, is to see how long I can keep the conversation going without her talking about her boyfriend... It only lasts about 2 minutes.... and then I'll try again, and again... LOL.

Its just little stuff like that, when you turn your mind to someone else, and see the humor in things, that really helps you get your mind off of yourself, and can really make you feel better.

I guess the whole point of this is to try and keep a positive attitude, and don't think about your shortcomings. Everybody has them. I'm trying to actually pay attention to other things than myself, and it's also really helping me to look for the humor in life. I figured out that it is just the way that I think to myself that can make things bad or good.

I really hope this helps someone... Sorry if it doesn't make much sense... expressing myself is something I'm having to get used to again.... :)

If anyone else has any things that have made them feel better, and can help us all get over this... Please post 'em!

mrblack

excellent thinking. i have a somewhat similar idea of reframing your negative thoughts, to work for the better posted somewhere on this site.

View much as a joke, yet revere and improve!

IcanDoIt

first of all, SUPERB POST there!

what you have said is damn true man..

people normally would like to experience big changes in life and in overcomming SP..

but these small changes are the ones needed for big changes to happen..

for me when i started last year, i read books to change my negative perception..

i knew the pace of that process was slow, and i was always tempted to quit..

but being in my present condition, i realised all those work were worth it..

i hope you Mackaylee wont ever give up and continue with the battle..

when u give up, u have 0% chance..:)

BrownEyes

Wow, great advice. I am definitely going to try doing that. Its funny how I never realized that doing something simple like that would help. Thanks so much for posting. I'm sure you will be saving me from many anxious days at work!

maggie

sometimes when I'm going through a rough spot, I think of you guys...and maybe you're also going through a rough spot, or maybe you're having a good day, but it makes me feel less alone :) ...and also I like to make people laugh...the sound of their laughter relaxes me

BrownEyes

Ditto.

Since I found this forum I feel less worried about my SA. I'm no longer thinking, "Geeze, I'm so weird. Or why am I the only one suffering". Its good to know that other people are dealing with this and that more still are recovering from it.

wutnow

Makaylee said:
I I realize that was what I was doing wrong... I was always thinking about MYSELF.

Saw it in some movie described as 'harmful self-absorption' - and it is. Great post.

And right, if you stop trying, you're done. So keep going :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: