LIVING INSIDE YOUR HEAD.

sky

I have a difficult time believing that daydreaming itself or even daydreams of being someone else are unique to social phobia. Personally, I admit that I'm an excessive daydreamer. Might have to do with the fact that I'm a writer. :p :wink:

yoyodood

i think all the time, im a thinker. I dont know that i see myself as a prophet or soldier of fortune that could bring awesomness to this world. But, i see myself bringing more then what i currently offer.. for example, we all have the potential, we just cant use it. :x

Amaranth

I daydream all the time! Sometimes I imagine what it would be like to be going out with all of the guys that haven't given me the time of day!

therock316

DREAMERS

hi i'm convinced i'm gonna make it as a pro footballer and no one or nothing will be able to convince me otherwise especially not some patronising t**t like you martin.i'm good enough,fit enough and determined enough I WILL SHAKE IT,I WILL MAKE IT.[/list]

little_rose

If you look at it from a sicentific approch, or even myers-brigs, infp's, or generaly i's tend to suffer from social phobia, the i's also tend to be dreamers. maybe the connection is there?

GettingThere

I think that SA sufferers perhaps have more "pipe dreams" than most and I think that perhaps it is a sort of self-defence thing. Because we tend to have poor self-images, this self-defence thing clicks in and gives us a little perk up. I'm not sure that this makes sense but what the heck.....

Anonymous

i always have like this soap opera going on in my head. from a book or tv programme i have watched or a film, for soe reason, if there's like a romantic couple, they become the characters of the 'soap opera' and im always thinking about them. making little stories up for them and thembeing so in love, and it makes me feel a little better, alittle of that love gets into me somehow. crazy i know but ive always had it in my head since i iwas about 9.

Scottish_Player

I live a daydream world too sometimes,i love driving because it let me get out there but at the sametime iam in a safe zone and no one can talk to me,although i do hate all the mirrors in my car i always have the rear veiw mirror turned away from me so people dont see my eyes when iam sitting at traffic lights incase the think iam watching them or they are watching me :roll:

Anyway getting to the point,when iam out driving i often pretend that iam going to pick up a friend or better still a girl friend and that we are going somwhere.It does get me down though because when i come back to reality it hurts and i realise what i dont have even more.

"When you think you are thinking about thinking too much,dont you think its time to stop thinking" that came into my head today :eek:

Kaya

My daydreams are of several types, with some overlapping.
The first is the "Ideal self fantasy" where I am usually me, but a very socially apt me, I am funny and witty and intelligent and entertaining, a world where I can cope with any social situation, I can charm people or (if they try to show me up) punish them with my wit! I am highly independant and don't care what anyone else thinks!
Secondly is the "rehearsal fantasy" where I rehearse situations in my head. Either I try to foresee what might happen in a real pending situation, such as making a phone call, and rehearse my responses. Or I rehearse "what if" hypothetical situations, such as what if I ran into an old friend, or what if I was caught in some disaster situation, how would I react/ cope?
There are also the "insecurity fantasy" where I might post something like this post and then I think everyone will read it and respond in a negative way and my imagination goes through all the bad things that people could say or think about me for daring to participate and express an opinion. Or if it is a windy day I imagine a tree might get blown over and fall on me just because I'm the kind of person trees would fall in if they decided to fall on anyone.
And finally there are "imagined conversations" when I am thinking a problem through and I imagine that I am talking to someone and the questions they might ask to help me clarify something. This can range from neutral to negative, but are often very helpful in getting my ideas together.
Everyone has versions of these fantasies and daydreams but with SP and related disorders they often become a compulsive symptom. They become a nuisance and/ or a crutch. People escape to a fantasy world or become stuck in a torturous mindset of always imagining the worst outcome, (or imaginging the best outcome and being disappointed.)

missluiza

Martin C. said:
Hi, id like to ask all of you a question please. I heard social phobics are big daydreamers. They fantasize all the time about being someone powerful and important. They often feel they have the necessary talent to make an impact in this world. Is that your case? Do you live inside of your head too often?

I totally agree that daydreaming can become a crutch for people with sa. Worse than this, if it becomes compulsive, it can alter your thought patterns to such an extent that it forms a barrier between you and other people and prevents you from interacting in a spontaneous way. Putting yourself at the centre of other peoples' attentions in daydreams is another way of subconciously obsessing about other peoples' perceptions of you. Just my non-professional opinion :wink:

richkid

I see it as a form of escapism which i believe is healthy in doses aslong as you know whether your doing it to be closed off from others or a way of just being relaxed. It good to day dream as many have mention probably before you can take your self away from a stressful situation for a bit and be at peace, maybe see it like a form of hypnotism where you a=can be that confidenent person. But not like i do some times as a way to shut people ioout or dwell on my thoughts.