Lonely in NYC

Am I the only person with SA in nyc? Probably, considering there are way too many people here...

Coat-Drive-aaaa.jpg

206Raider

Sorry I'm not but I'm sure there are a lot of people here that are, and that's a crazy picture though. Sad lol

U

userremoved

I figured being in bigger cities would actually make it worse. Everyone's so busy running back and forward and few actually know each other. And I doubt just walking up to strangers for small talk is a good idea.

Juggalo

I've got SA and I want to move to NYC. Does that count? lol

I figured being in bigger cities would actually make it worse. Everyone's so busy running back and forward and few actually know each other. And I doubt just walking up to strangers for small talk is a good idea.

Trust me, big cities are a LOT better for dealing with SA. Living in small towns, especially living out in the country, is awful for SA.

Generally speaking I feel like living in NYC has helped alot with my SA. I grew up in a fairly small town and it was too easy to avoid people and let my SA get out of control. Being here I'm forced to be out in public a lot and deal with strangers. When I first moved here years ago I felt like I was completely anonymous and it was really freeing. After I lived in harlem for a bit though that started to change (i'm a little white blond girl). Every day just walking around guys would harrass me and then I got really paranoid and my SA was a lot worse for a while.

Wtfawk

I've been to Harlem and it didn't seem to bad during the day. I don't live in the city city but in one of the boroughs.

I've been to Harlem and it didn't seem to bad during the day. I don't live in the city city but in one of the boroughs.

yeah, harlem's definitely pretty safe, i don't mean it like that, i just meant that in the area i lived i stuck out and would get cat-called all the time. whenever guys do that i get so freaked out, i hate the attention and everyone staring. ::(:

Wtfawk

Yeah it doesn't have to be negative though when I take the bus sometimes I accidentally stare at someone. I just start thinking with my head in there direction Lol so they could just be looking around o-o

Juggalo

Generally speaking I feel like living in NYC has helped alot with my SA. I grew up in a fairly small town and it was too easy to avoid people and let my SA get out of control. Being here I'm forced to be out in public a lot and deal with strangers. When I first moved here years ago I felt like I was completely anonymous and it was really freeing. After I lived in harlem for a bit though that started to change (i'm a little white blond girl). Every day just walking around guys would harrass me and then I got really paranoid and my SA was a lot worse for a while.

This is what I meant exactly. A small town is BAD for SA. VERY bad. Especially if you live outside of town in the country.

As for Harlem, its changing big time. My best friend from H.S. who now lives on the upper west side of Manhattan says he goes there all the time, its nothing like the old days. Its been gentrified(thats the technical term for de-ghettoization). A lot of young people are moving there.

This is what I meant exactly. A small town is BAD for SA. VERY bad. Especially if you live outside of town in the country.

As for Harlem, its changing big time. My best friend from H.S. who now lives on the upper west side of Manhattan says he goes there all the time, its nothing like the old days. Its been gentrified(thats the technical term for de-ghettoization). A lot of young people are moving there.

The gentrification of harlem has been going on forever. Imo, in some ways it's made things a lot worse. The ever rising real estate prices have pushed a lot of people who lived there their whole lives into the projects or onto the street, leading to an elevation in petty crime and a LOT of racial animosity. Columbia has pretty ruthlessly taken part in the "buying out" of west harlem and has destroyed a lot of the local family-run businesses. As well as the architecture of the neighborhood that had remained unchanged for a hundred years. Gentrification makes things prettier and more comfortable for the people with the money, but it also destroys communities and just masks the problems, rather than solving them. We used to have 'Keep Columbia Out' anti-gentrification street fairs to raise money to keep Columbia from completely taking over, but it's a lost cause at this point. When i finally moved out it was because my rent had nearly doubled from the time I moved in and the last I talked to the super they were asking $4,000 a month for that apartment. :eek: It's insanity.

loxinjsh

I am from Brooklyn. New in town..