Lonely recluse

nonentity

I've been agoraphobic for a number of years. I only leave the house every 8 weeks or so, to see my psychiatrist. If I didn't have to see him (in order for him to keep prescribing my meds-I'm bipolar and have OCD/Anxiety Disorder too) I'd literally NEVER leave the house. Everything about the outside world terrifies me, from the contamination factor (OCD) to interaction with people. I can't even talk to my grandmother on the phone, such is my fear of verbal interaction. My only contact with the outside world is my mom, and my computer. I would love to speak with other people who can relate to these problems/phobias, as I really do feel desperately alone. I had several years of therapy (with no lasting beneficial effect) and have been playing medication roulette for years. I'm on a combo of Paxil and Zyprexa now, it gives me great sleep (without this combo my old insomnia would come back with a vengeance) and does ease the severe depression to a degree. I used to think of nothing but death and suicide, I could barely function. Speaking of suicide I have attempted it several times. Are there others out there who can relate?

Kamen

Hi,

If I have agoraphobia, it is light, because I can leave the house, go for some shopping, go to university or just walk in the near park alone, but I am afraid to leave the neighborhood or the town - haven't done it for an year. Although I am an introvert, sometimes I feel alone, too. How old are you and do you work something, maybe from home? Such jobs are savers... Can you leave the house if you are with your mother, not alone?

Avoidance

I’ve been agoraphobic for 7 years now. It’s been rough and a lonely road and I also haven’t seen or talked to family members in years, I don’t use the phone either and most of my family has given up on me, except for one member. I can get outside sometimes to get the mail or hide in garage and get some exercise. I’ve slowly lost all my friends, (I can’t blame them though). I am isolated and alone and just about out of hope. I can’t offer much help but I can relate.

Helyna

How do you get food???!
If you have a psychiatrist, can't he do anything more for you? Doesn't sound like things are working, though I guess it doesn't do any good that you have at least three problems - why, I wonder, do some people have to suffer so much?
I'd choose "recluse".

nonentity

Your question

Helyna said:
How do you get food???!
If you have a psychiatrist, can't he do anything more for you? Doesn't sound like things are working, though I guess it doesn't do any good that you have at least three problems - why, I wonder, do some people have to suffer so much?
I'd choose "recluse".
Well you see I live with my mom, she does the grocery shopping. I'm completely dependent on her, pathetic at my age. Thankfully she's very loyal and supportive and doesn't resent me. My psychiatrist has tried to help me, I've been on dozens of meds. The only one I haven't tried is Lithium because I'm so wary of the side effect profile. The problem is that OCD and Agoraphobia are really tough to overcome using chemical means.

dottie

well, you're in the right place. how do you pay for bills and food if you never leave your house?

i wish i could give up. seriously. working kills me. the social interaction is just too much for me to bare. but if i don't work, how am i going to get money to survive?

Liz17

Im also agoraphobic, I also still live at home with my mother and she does all the shopping for me. Your not alone, its hard for us all but I just keep the faith that one day it will not be an issue any longer.