looks and confidence

4myself

I am still here staring at the screen, even though I dont think theres anyone else here, because I am putting off going to work out on my weight bench. Normally I dont mind but I am tired today so I cant be stuffed :) . Just out of curiosity does anyone else here work out, or watch your diet? and do you think that looking good helps to boost your confidence?. I dont think that I'm good looking, but I find if I put in a bit of effort then I usually feel a bit better about myself?. What are your opinions on this subject?.

redlady

Hi 4myself - i'm here. Yeah i work out, just did 50 minutes on the treadmill. It certainly makes me feel better when i exercise. I don't really watch what i eat all that much - if i want some chocolate i'll have it -although i don't eat it everyday.
Yes my appearance affects my confidnce - which i don't like to admit. My weight is pretty good these days and i found when i was a bit heavier it made me more self conscious. So i make an effort to keep my weight down, which honestly is the only reason i exercise.

whats up buddy,

working out will definatley help you out and when you start to see the result of all your hard work it will feel unbelievable. When you start to look good you will feel great. and trust me others will notice. working out is just like anything it takes hard work to see your results but when you start you will never look back. Plus working out releases natural endorphines that will make you feel better. If you are new to working out I would recommend get a couple of books and start really basic. I like the body for life program if you have never worked out before

4myself

Cool guys!. Yep, looks are definetley linked to increased self confidence. I still havent hit that weight bench yet today though lol. I'm not new to working out, i like weights, not much of a fan of cardio though. I need to watch my diet a bit better though, but that is something I am working on. Do you have any cardio excercise stuff that you enjoy doing?. I like taebo and kickboxing dvds and dance dvds when I can be bothered (which isnt often) :D

cardio cardio cardio

I enrolled myself into a mixed martial arts school, great cardio and learn how to kick peoples butts at the same time. I like to run, swim, hiking, anything that makes your heart work is good but nothing feels like when you make someone submitt of tap out

fallenfeather

Hi guys,

I workout every day except sunday. I do a weights routine monday, wednesday and friday, and I cycle tuesday, thursday and saturday, unless I'm away for the weekend. I used to have a low opinion on my body as I was far to skinny and weak but since then I've gone from 9 stone to just under eleven from building muscle and it has made a big difference to how I feel about myself. I keep in good shape now and I eat a very clean diet of carbs, protein, fruit and veg, but I have the odd pack of crisps and a bit of chocolate now and again, usually at weekends when I'm away with my girlfriend. I feel so much better in myself because I know I'm in good shape and I feel strong. I also use a sunbed once a week or so to keep my skin clear which also helps.

I know all that sounds vain and believe me I was always the "what's on the outside doesn't matter" type of guy but if it means having more confidence and feeling healthy then it's worth it to me.

sheree

Well a few years ago i weighed over 17 stone so i went to Weight Watchers thinking if i lost weight i would be confident ect 2 years 5 stone later i'm worse than ever because i havent got the weight to hide behind :(
i had to stop going early this year because i was panicking to much.

allanboy

Heh, looks certainly have influence on people´s confidence, at least for me. I would start jogging(and making some exercise) but my classes started at night, so the afternoon is kept to studies(in theory :wink: ), which is a bummer. It rocks to come back from a good exercise and your worked body at the mirror, makes me feel great.

4myself

Cool fallenfeather, good for you!. I always think its very strange that people who take some effort in their appearance are considered vain. I am undergoing an image transformation at the moment, I think it will be interesting to see if people treat me differently when I look more 'normal'.

redlady

Yeah we have enough to deal with and if you can do something to alleviate some of your insecurities then why the hell not i say - it takes some of the shit off the heap.

4myself

Excercising makes me smell like garbage hehehe. Actually thats not funny, I need to go and get some more deoderant on. Yep, thats better :D

PhantomPod

oh yeah, eating healthy and staying fit definitely helps boost my confidence. Mostly I just do basic exercises like push ups and sit ups, as well as lifting some weights and going for walks. I also like running up and down the stairs. lol. And I like dancing along with a breakdancing video I have, and playing dance dance revolution on my PS2. And I LOVE to do handstands. I don't know why, but I do handstands all over the house. I like practicing my balance with them, and doing them against a wall and doing handstand push ups. Sounds kind of silly, but it's a good strength workout. lol.

arlequin

I work out. In my opinion a person that looks good is more confident that one that doesn't, but not always it's like this. I'd better say that a person is confident when accepts himself or herlsef no matter if they look good or bad and feels comfortable with their looks and don't mind what people think about them.
I have a ot of complexes and it's the reason I feel so insecure. In my case is not for the weight. We have to learn to love ourselves, we can't complain if people don't accept us when we don't accept ourselves.

Angie_05

sheree said:
Well a few years ago i weighed over 17 stone so i went to Weight Watchers thinking if i lost weight i would be confident ect 2 years 5 stone later i'm worse than ever because i havent got the weight to hide behind :(
i had to stop going early this year because i was panicking to much.

I've heard a lot of people say that they didn't have success with weight watchers. I think it's too complicated and doesn't fit into our lifestyles. Right now I am trying to get my body into shape. I used to nearly starve myself, and since I started eating normal again I have gained 20 pounds. Undereating kills a person's metabolism, so now I have to fix it. I suggest finding recipes that are healthy and that you love. Don't count too much...that kinda stuff doesn't last.

It's hard to find motivation to work out, even though I know I feel good when I do it. So confusing.

Horatio

I've been on a number of diets and excersise regimes but none of them would ever work and I would just get more and more frustrated.

My new diet objective is to die of a heart attack by age 28, should be acheivable I reckon 8)

you dont feel lonely when your a corpse and decomposing is a sure fire way to lose weight, maybe then this superficial world will accept me at last

JWH

I walk and climb stairs whenever I get the chance and stick to a diet low in fat and refined foods. I find that when I consume too much salt I can clearly see the difference in my hands. Same with when I am constipated - I just grow and grow till the point where my insides stick out beyond my rib cage. Both situations make me feel uncomfortable a lot of the time, but it's only something I've recently been able to notice as before all the 'markers' were hidden by fat.

allanboy

Oh, i forgot to say this on my previous post. It´s been a week since i started practicing parkour. Dont know if anyone ever heard of this. http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/. It´s, well, weird to explain, freedom of movement, a way of releasing creativity wherever you are. My life has been making quite a turn after i started doing it. My confidence and self steem have also increased. Something magical about jumping over fences and tic-tacking against the wall. Check it out, you´ll love it :) .

black_mamba

I've always been a fan of free running but am too shy to start hopping about in public! Good for you though allanboy. :)

LittleMissScareAll

I dont eat alot anyway; I usually dont feel like it. And I exercise almost every day. But still I can't lose weight...I guess it's not weight so much that I need to lose though; I just want a toned body. The only thing that will ever help me though, is either a full body lift or liposuction..or better yet, both. Unfortunately I don't really have the money to spend on those procedures. :cry: