love is so common!

Does it not ever seem to you like everyone and their mother is falling in love with someone? People are constantly falling in love with eachother...its so damn commonplace! its supposed to be this wonderful and special thing yet, everyone is doing it. lol I bet you I could make myself fall in love with the homeless man outside my apartment building. All I'd have to do is go up to him and stare at his face a while..think about him constantly for i dunno a couple weeks and sooner or later I'd be in love!

I don't really see what is so great about it though. its like Christmas or going to Walmart.

brokenfingers04

I know exactly what you mean. I don't get any of that love stuff, but I guess if I've never experienced it or felt I had any.....

The closest explanation I can come up with is that love is a deep caring and/or attraction towards someone. Or mabye a tempory mental illness. LOL

Krista

I really, really do not think that you could compare actually being in love to going to Walmart. And as for the hobo outside your apartment, he has feelings, don't lead him on with your false feelings of "being in love"..

that's not what i'm saying. could be the president or the pizza i bought at safeway's pizza sale. i mean i could delude myself into loving anybody/thing. anybody could.

Krista

that's not what i'm saying. could be the president or the pizza i bought at safeway's pizza sale. i mean i could delude myself into loving anybody/thing. anybody could.

It was a joke dear lol. I do understand what you're saying though, whether it's from fourth graders telling each other that or just everyone in general moving from person to person. It gets a little redundant after awhile but that's why you absolutely have to know your feelings before you say something like that. Besides family I think I've told one guy that in my whole life and I wasn't.

Krista

you weren't in love?

I'm like everyone else when it came to thinking I was but after awhile you realize that you're just enamored with that person. Plus he was my first boyfriend ever. I've never said that to another guy I've dated and won't until I am absolutely ready to.

lyricalliaisons

I think that most people who claim t be "in love" have no idea what it's even like. I think the words are thrown around far too frequently by people & are far too overused.

gsmax5

I think that most people who claim t be "in love" have no idea what it's even like. I think the words are thrown around far too frequently by people & are far too overused.

Agreed. Also, I think people that say they are "in love" sound like total dorks. "Oh we are so in love, no one knows what kind of love we are in. We have to kiss now. Mah mah mah (those are supposed to be kissing sound effects)". I also hate lovey-dovey comments like "a million poets could write for a million years and still describe but three-eighths of your beauty"

Last edited:
Agreed. Also, I think people that say they are "in love" sound like total dorks. "Oh we are so in love, no one knows what kind of love we are in. We have to kiss now. Mah mah mah (those are supposed to be kissing sound effects)". I also hate lovey-dovey comments like "a million poets could write for a million years and still describe but three-eighths of your beauty"

dude yes exactly

iamthenra

I'm in love with the thought of being in love... Never have been told that anyone loves me, not even family... I'm desperate to know what it is... and at my age of 41, every day I grow more desperate and obsessed with trying to find anyone who will even just give me the time of day, let alone a date... The way things are looking I am probably going to be an 80 year old virgin, since I have passed the 40 year old mark last year...what's another 40 more years without someone??? Uhhhg....::(:

The mushy extreme love seems like mental illness to me. Or like they're in love with the idea of love, not with each other, because you can't love a real human being to that extreme. Maybe like they're trying so desperately to convince themselves that they're in love because they know they really aren't.

But then there are other people who aren't so obvious about it but seem like they're really in love with the actual, flawed person (rather than an idealized caricature).

Lea

Banned
Love is not a feeling (See my thread The Road Less Travelled)

I have said that love is an action, an activity. This leads to the final major misconception of love which needs to be addressed. Love is not a feeling. Many, many people possessing a feeling of love and even acting in response to that feeling act in all manner of unloved and destructive ways. On the other hand, a genuinely loving individual will often take loving and constructive action toward a person he or she consciously dislikes, actually feeling no love toward the person at the time and perhaps even finding the person repugnant in some way.

The feeling of love is the emotion that accompanies the experience of cathecting. Cathecting, it will be remembered, is the process by which an object becomes important to us. Once cathected, the object, commonly referred to as a 'love object', is invested with our energy as if it were a part of ourselves, and this relationship between us and the invested object is called a cathexis. Since we may have many such relationships going on at the same time, we speak of our cathexes. The process of withdrawing our energy from a love object so that it loses its sense of importance for us is known as decathecting. The misconception that love is a feeling exists because we confuse cathecting with loving. This confusion is understandable since they are similar processes, but there are also striking differences. First of all, as has been pointed out, we may cathect any object, animate or inanimate, with or without a spirit. Thus a person may cathect the stock market or a piece of jewellery and may feel love for these things. Second, the fact that we have cathected another human being does not mean that we care a whit for that person's spiritual development. The dependent person, in fact, usually fears the spiritual development of a cathected spouse. The mother who insisted upon driving her adolescent son to and from school clearly cathected the boy; he was important to her - but his spiritual growth was not. Third, the intensity of our cathexes frequently has nothing to do with wisdom or commitment. Two strangers may meet in a bar and cathect each other in such a way that nothing - not previously scheduled appointments, promises made, or family stability - is more important for the moment than their sexual consummation. Finally, our cathexes may be fleeting and momentary. Immediately following their sexual consummation the just mentioned couple may find each other unattractive and undesirable. We may decathect something almost as soon as we have cathected it.

Genuine love, on the other hand, implies commitment and the excercise of wisdom. When we are concerned for someone's spiritual growth, we know that a lack of commitment is likely to be harmful and that commitment to that person is probably necessary for us to manifest our concern effectively. It is for this reason that commitment is the cornerstone of the psychotherapeutic relationship. It is almost impossible for a patient to experience significant personality growth without a 'therapeutic alliance' with the therapist. In other words, before the patient can risk major change he or she must feel the strenght and security that come from believing that the therapist is the patient's constant and stable ally. For this alliance to occur the therapist must demonstrate to the patient, usually over a considerable lenghth of time, the consistent and steadfast caring that can arise only from a capacity for commitment. This does not mean that the therapist always FEELS like listening to the patient. Commitment means that the therapist listens to the patient, like it or not. It is no different in a marriage. In a constructive marriage, just as in constructive therapy, the partners must regularly, routinely and predictably, attend to each other and their relationship no matter how they feel. As has been mentioned, couples sooner or later always fall out of love, and it is at the moment when the mating instinct has run its course that the opportunity for genuine love begins. It is when the spouses no longer feel like being in each other's company always, when they would rather be elsewhere some of the time, that their love begins to be tested and will be found to be present or absent.

This is not to say that the partners in a stable, constructive relationship such as intensive psychotherapy or marriage do not cathect each other and the relationship itself in various ways; they do. What it does say is that genuine love transcends the matter of cathexes. When love exists it does so with or without cathexis and with or without a loving feeling. It is easier - indeed, it is fun - to love with cathexis and the feeling of love. But it is possible to love without cathexis and without loving feelings, and it is in the fulfilment of this possibility that genuine and transcendent love is distinguished from simple cathexis. The key word in this distinction is 'will'. I have defined love as the WILL to extend oneself for the purpose of nurturing one's own or another's spiritual growth. Genuine love is volitional rather than emotional. The person who truly loves does so because of a decision to love. This person has made a commitment to be loving whether or not the loving feeling is present. If it is, so much the better; but if it isn't, the commitment to love, the will to love, still stands and is still exercised. Conversely, it is not only possible but necessary for a loving person to avoid acting on feelings of love. I may meet a woman who strongly attracts me, whom I feel like loving, but because it would be destructive to my marriage to have an affair at that time, I will say vocally or in the silence of my heart, 'I feel like loving you, but I am not going to'. Similarly, I may refuse to take on a new patient who is most attractive and likely to succeed in therapy because my time is already commited to other patients, some of whom may be considerably less attractive and more difficult. My feelings of love may be unbounded, but my capacity to be loving is limited. I therefore must choose the person on whom to focus my capactiy to love, toward whom to direct my will to love. True love is not a feeling by which we are overwhelmed. It is a commited, thoughtful decision.

The common tendency to confuse love with the feeling of love allows people all manner of self-deception. An alcoholic man, whose wife and children are desperately in need of his attention at that very moment, may be sitting in a bar with tears in his eyes, telling the bartender, 'I really love my family'. People who neglect their children in the grossest of ways more often than not will consider themselves the most loving of parents. It is clear that there may be a selfserving quality in this tendency to confuse love with the feeling of love; it is easy and not at all unpleasant to find evidence of love in one's feelings. It may be difficult and painful to search for evidence of love in one's actions. But because true love is an act of will that often transcends ephemeral feelings of love or cathexis, it is correct to say, 'love is as love does'. Love and nonlove, as good and evil, are objective and not purely subjective phenomena.

AGR

Well not for me,seems I cant really open to girls at all,not really interested feels like they are invading,only happened once and it was so intense that I was almost sure it wouldnt happen again,call it cheesy or whatever,but just her presence made my legs shake.

Emma

I don't think it's love, it's just lust.

Example: "Oh my boyfriend must love me, he wants to shag me all the time"

Nooo it's lust, and he thinks you're a piece of sex meat.

Too many people confuse love with lust or sex with love etc::(:

lyricalliaisons

I don't think it's love, it's just lust.

Example: "Oh my boyfriend must love me, he wants to shag me all the time"

Nooo it's lust, and he thinks you're a piece of sex meat.

Too many people confuse love with lust or sex with love etc::(:

I kind-of agree. I think that most people who claim to be "in love" are actually in lust, or are just infatuated.