Major Germaphobia--HELP!

katlac32

My germaphobia has gotten completely out of hand. I have never been formally diagnosed with OCD, but I obviously have it very severely and I am scared to go talk to someone. I have had tendencies and rituals about certain things for a long time, but the germaphobia thing started real bad a few years ago when a young patient died of influenza in our town. Ever since then I have been obsessed with germs. I think it stems from a fear of dying or those that I love dying, so I think if I clean my world, I feel better about things, but I am damaging my relationships in the process. It is really out of hand--I Lysol my daughters library books off, I make her carry hand sanitizer to school--she is only 6. I make her wash her hands constantly, as well as washing my own hands. Everything in my house is "dirty" in my mind. I have also seen those Lysol commercials where they show the germs on phones and keyboards--and that has made it worse to where everything is dirty. I touch remotes with blankets, I touch doorknobs with paper towels. When I am preparing food I wash my hands after I touch anything in my kitchen. My husband and I are also going through infertility and now I have become truly obsessed with his genitals, I know that is crazy--but I make him shower with me at night just to make sure that his genitals get washed properly and if they don't to "my standards" then I get mad at him and I won't do anything with him. It is so out of hand and it only keeps getting worse. I am scared to talk to a psychiatrist because I don't want to go through the behavioral modification--I don't want to expose myself to germs, when I know that they are a real threat. But I feel like it will keep getting worse--it may ruin my marriage and I don't want my daughter to think this is normal behavior as she grows up. Someone please help if you've had a similar obsesssion with germs--how did you ever get over it? Is there hope?

Noca

Banned
Go to an anxiety clinic and see a doctor to get diagnosed and work with an anxiety therapist to help treat your OCD.

yesnomaybe

I recommend that you learn everything that you can about your disorder, Katlace32, and the most common treatments being practiced today to cure it. Then, when you do go to a psychiatrist -- which I highly recommend -- you will know what questions to ask and what to expect.

Remember, just because you visit a psychiatrist does not mean that you have to do what he or she says. You can simply tell him that you're not interested in doing that and then take it from there. Ultimately, you have nothing to lose and possibly very much to gain.

My germaphobia has gotten completely out of hand. I have never been formally diagnosed with OCD, but I obviously have it very severely and I am scared to go talk to someone. I have had tendencies and rituals about certain things for a long time, but the germaphobia thing started real bad a few years ago when a young patient died of influenza in our town. Ever since then I have been obsessed with germs. I think it stems from a fear of dying or those that I love dying, so I think if I clean my world, I feel better about things, but I am damaging my relationships in the process. It is really out of hand--I Lysol my daughters library books off, I make her carry hand sanitizer to school--she is only 6. I make her wash her hands constantly, as well as washing my own hands. Everything in my house is "dirty" in my mind. I have also seen those Lysol commercials where they show the germs on phones and keyboards--and that has made it worse to where everything is dirty. I touch remotes with blankets, I touch doorknobs with paper towels. When I am preparing food I wash my hands after I touch anything in my kitchen. My husband and I are also going through infertility and now I have become truly obsessed with his genitals, I know that is crazy--but I make him shower with me at night just to make sure that his genitals get washed properly and if they don't to "my standards" then I get mad at him and I won't do anything with him. It is so out of hand and it only keeps getting worse. I am scared to talk to a psychiatrist because I don't want to go through the behavioral modification--I don't want to expose myself to germs, when I know that they are a real threat. But I feel like it will keep getting worse--it may ruin my marriage and I don't want my daughter to think this is normal behavior as she grows up. Someone please help if you've had a similar obsesssion with germs--how did you ever get over it? Is there hope?

I have an obsession with germs myself, although I do not have it quite as severely as you do. But I do wash my hands probably close to fifty times a day, and I never sit on a toilet (even at home) without putting toilet paper down first. I feel gross if my skin touches the toilet. I do not like to eat other people's food. This is the only reason I like living alone, so nobody brings in "their germs" and contaminates everything. I don't like people touching my food or eating or drinking after other people, including my own family. I have never had sex, but I have often thought that if I did, just how scared I would be to have sex because of germs. And this is the main reason I never kissed a guy ( when I was younger and more outgoing, not to mention my social phobia), because of this fear of germs and bodily fluids. I don't know how to get over it other than exposure therapy, and I don't think exposure to germs is the best approach either. This is also coming from a germophobe, so I can't really give you good advice, sorry. Only that I can relate somewhat.

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
I am not worried about germs or getting ill, but still I have similar problem. I find some places dirty and disgusting, and am disgusted to touch things there, I am obsessively washing hands every time after touching something (use amounts of water and tissue or toilettpaper in the day, don´t use towels someone else used), can´t stand dirty bathrooms, kitchens or ashtrays. You can imagine I had a bit problem as a carer for old people, sometimes it´s worse than handling corpses (I´d prefer working with corpses really). Fortunately we have to wear gloves and even encouraged to change them often. I still try to remind myself that they are still people who need help and that my body will once also be so disgusting.
I know this obsession is in my mind, I´d rather be calm and relaxed inside + get a bit dirty (after all it´s healthy, as Punk Rotten said) than feeling disgusted with everything.

mimi1988

I think I'm becoming a germaphobia. I refuse to touch door nobs in my own house. At least not before wiping them down with amonia or rubbing alcohol. If I do touch a door nob, I have to make sure I wash my hands. I won't sit on the toilet seat at my own house w/out wiping it down with amonia or alcohol 1st, lol. And I'm really ticky about having ppl sit on my bed. I don't even want my mom sitting on my bed (even though she paid for it), lol. If anyone sits on my bed, I tell them "Do NOT put your feet anywhere NEAR my bed." I need to watch myself. I don't wanna end like my 11th grade teacher (yikes!). That woman did not want anyone leaning on her desk or standing too close to her. She had a can of Lysol and hand sanitizer sitting on her desk just in case anyone got too close to her, or if she had to touch someone or if someone in the classroom sneezed.

smokin5s

So I'm looking for some advice from people who actually suffer from this. My wife suffers from exactly what you are discussing BAD, but has only started since our 2 month old baby was born... my question to you is how do I get her to go talk to a professional since talking to me isn't helping at all and she's just getting worse?

Mokkat

Im not a shrink, so I dont know if this helps, but you could try getting a book on human physiology and maybe one on microorganisms. Im studying to be a nutritionist and I find that studying anatomy and physiology gives me a more calm perspective on the machine that is the human body, and Im generally more calm and constructive now when dealing with my own mental or bodily problems.
You could also visit nature more. "Clinical" human buildings and cleaning appliances like soaps/ammonia/cleaning alcohol are not natural to surround yourself with at all.

Germs are EVERYWHERE. Except for the mean ones like salmonella (which is easy to avoid), nearly all of them are killed off by your gastric acid or immune system and the few ones left are no problem. Germs live in symbiosis with you in your intestines and help you break down the things your own cells and enzymes cant deal with themselves.
Influenza is an airborne virus btw, nothing to do with touching doorknobs or anything. Flu shot - all good.

Its not a bad habit to clean doorknobs or to teach your daughter to keep her hands clean. But when you start taking frequently washing her hands and passing on your obsessive ways, or depress your husband, something is wrong and you need to find the perspective necessary to change yourself - by yourself or with counseling.

Last edited:

Feathers

Hi Smokin! It's great you want to help your wife!

I have some germaphobia too - not so bad as people who wrote above, it can be bad in some ways though too..

Could your wife be suffering from some 'baby blues' or postnatal depression?
Depression, anxiety and OCD can be linked to nutrition deficiencies and well, she's had to 'eat for two' and sometimes it's not easy to get all the nutrients, like magnesium etc... So nutrition is one thing to explore and work on.

Has she been exposed to commercials like someone above wrote? Some of those are really mean.. One of the reasons I don't like to watch TV anymore..

Wikipedia says Lysol is toxic to fish and birds and other animals, possibly people too...

Anti-bacterial soaps can also kill the good/harmless/weak bacteria and only 'super-strong' ones remain, so some articles say it's actually better to use ordinary soap than antibacterial, except in some extreme cases where people in the household are very ill with certain diseases.. Otherwise the immune system can deal with 'small-scale' bacteria and such, some exposure is actually healthy to build your immune system...

A friend of mine also said that kids whose moms were too vigilant about any germs or toxics were usually more ill than those whose moms weren't so 'cautious'... It may be helpful for her to read any articles on this, or books on the immune system etc. Like Mokkat said - great idea! Just check how the book is slanted and ideally read it yourself first. Some books or articles may be written by 'germaphobes' too - usually it's just the industry trying to sell products or pharmacy trying to sell meds...
Books that are fully independent or promoting healthy nutrition/natural health may be more realistic..

'Official medicine' can scare many people because it's heavily influenced by big pharma and big corporations trying to sell products too..

Soo.. can she limit amount of watching TV? (Or can you set it up so she doesn't see the ads?)
- environmental factors - damage to environment, animals and health from too much cleaning
- learning about the immune system

Is she a part of a group of mommies with a more 'natural' view of things? Does she have a doula or breastfeeding support? Some support groups for new mommies exist, that could be helpful.

I'm against vaccination for the flu, that's just another health scare and big companies trying to make a profit. Most people can deal with it with healthy lifestyle & nutrition, ideally one or two walks a day...

BDDgirl

I1014.jpg

See a professional, don't rely on armchair psychiatry from unqualified people with mental health issues

Feathers

So I'm looking for some advice from people who actually suffer from this. My wife suffers from exactly what you are discussing BAD, but has only started since our 2 month old baby was born... my question to you is how do I get her to go talk to a professional since talking to me isn't helping at all and she's just getting worse?
BDDgirl, I only wrote what I wrote as suggestions about what he can do meanwhile, until he can figure out how to get her to a psychiatrist. He already wants to. Do you have any suggestions on how to convince her to go see one?

Maybe if she learns more about the immune system through articles/books and how her fear is actually bad for the baby she'll see it's unreasonable fear and she'd be more interested to do something about her OCD? She'd need to go to someone who specializes in OCD and not just 'any psychiatrist' though..
On the other hand, maybe if the husband called the doctor who specializes in this, or a support group of people getting treated for OCD, hmm? Maybe the doctor could help with advice how to convince/inspire the wife to come?

Maybe even talking to a doctor who isn't a psychiatrist could help, to start with? (It helped me when I was told some things are very unlikely to be transferred to other people with hands contact etc.)

Last edited:
Oldish thread - however, you state that your germ fear stems from thoughts of people dying. Once you accept in your mind that you, everyone you love and everyone you see will eventually die and that this is an unchangeable truth, maybe then you will see that bacteria are an essential part of living.