Make or break

Danfalc

Banned
Argh!!!! just when i thought it couldnt get any worse..... you geussed it, it f*****g well did. I live on my own and have relied on benefits to support me.Well i had a appeal today about my benefits, and after speaking to 2 complete strangers about somthing i dont even talk to my family about (sp).They turned round and said basicaly im well enough to work.My heads really screwed at the moment as i can hardly leave the house let alone work so i really dont know what to do. Guess its make or break time,as if i dont find work well im gonna have to live in hostels and stuff again which im not prepared to do.anyways not really much anyone can say to this post i just needed to vent off some steam about it.

Danfalc

Banned
Thanks for that grumbalina, But it was like the final appeal, and i did take a letter of support from my shrink (would call them the proper name but im hopeless at spelling). And still no luck, they simply refused me.Im really scared to be honest cos im not well enough to work and i could lose my flat, and i dont think i could cope if that happend.. :(

Danfalc

Banned
Thanks masterpiece, you managed to make me smile, nah i didnt lose my job today, i lost my entitlement to benefits, so basicaly im gonna have to find work which i dont think im up to. Anyways you did help, you made me laugh :lol:

emmie

job

hi danfalc

soz to hear about that. im trying to think of a suitable job but its hard cause 9 times out of ten you have to have a interview or somethin. why dont you ring citezens advice im sure theres something they can do its worth a try.

Danfalc

Banned
Went to citazens advice about the whole benefit thing, Theres squat all they can do, im going to have to sign on to job seekers allowance and start looking for work :(

Anyways ive decided to look at this in a postative light, okay so maybe im not at the stage where im well enough to work.But i mean if i go for job interviews and dont get them, well im not expecting to get them so ive lost nothing and its good practice for me.And maybe ill get a job which might do my self esteem a bit of good :D This could just be the kick up the arse that i need to get the ball rolling.

It would be quite easy for me to pretend to look for work, and just claim the benefits, but im going to be completley honest and explain about my social anxiety and how it affects me and make the job centre find work that is suitable to me.Anyways ill post more when more happens so if anyone else is in a simlar position to me has an idea of what to expect when going back to looking for work.

GettingThere

The whole starting-a-job thing is super stressful but once you settle in to a routine (provided you have a suitable job) you will probably find that you can get by and its actually good for SPers to work (if we possibly can) because it makes us feel more "normal" and helps in the recovery process. I guess that getting a suitable job is the hard part along with the interview. Taking the approach of "I have nothing to lose" helps to take away some of the stress of the interview.

I realise that not all can work - I only got by at the worst point in my condition through the use of tranquillizers and of course the regular use of them carrys it own risks.

If worst comes to worst and you simply cannot work then I would suggest that you write a letter/s to your local member/s of parliment explaining the problem. Having worked in a government department I know just how much things can change when they recieve a letter from an MP or someone similar.

All the best whichever way you go.

marc72

hey man...

hey man I want to give you a word of encouragement. I was denied twice and await the final appeal but I got tired staying home and waiting . I also got tired of welfare.I found a cheap part time job . I wish like others in this board had a better paying Fulfilling job. My point is that you are doing the right thing by seeing it from a different perspective. Instead of dwelling on the fact that you have no benefits. You are now giving all your energy to finding a job and grinding it out. It is a good move to tell the staff that will help you find work about your anxiety issues. Perhaps they will be more sensitive and find something you can socially handle.

I know this advice might suck, but how about security guard ? Perhaps they might put you in laid back environment like a corporate building at night or something. At least that will be smooth the transition for you .You do not have to stay in that job forever. Good luck.

Scottish_Player

Hi Dan,sorry to hear about your situation :roll:

What about somthing working from home on your computer? i know it might sound like an obvious answer and at some point it would still need interaction with people or one idea i had was to buy and sell stuff on Ebay like a small business not too sure what you could sell but that was one of my ideas for a job change,i have started to buy and colledt rare LP's and i have been reading up on stuff for the past while just to get my self a bit of knowlegde on the LP's and stuff.

Try to think of it like,what do you enjoy doing the most and try to incorporate that into a suitable job if that makes sense.

Danfalc

Banned
Thanks for the encouragement guys :)

Well i got the ball rolling today, but i think i had like a mild constant panic attack all the way up town till i got to the job centre, then it went from mild to severe when i got in there :(

I am trying to look at this posative, i mean maybe getting a job will improve my situation, but im finding it hard to believe that im actualy ready for this yet, i mean i have problmes setting foot outside of my flat let alone holding a job down.Well imm guess im gonna find out how much it takes me to have a nervous breakdown when im pushed to work.Yeah hopefully the staff will be a bit more sympathetic if i explain about my sa/sp, but to be honest i doubt it.Thats not a bad idea either scottish_player but i dont think it would pay my rent,but ill defo think about doing somthing like that as a little side thing for some extra cash.

Anyways thanks for your support, ill let you know how much of an ass i make of myself when i go for the j.s.a interview :lol: