maybe its all about SHAME

Fredscars

i think us SAers, do feel more shame, but i think we see a more honest side to people, we arent wearing rose coloured glasses about how life goes..i think we see the world more honestly and we see the shame of all that and so we fear it, because the people who inhabit this word carry so much 'sin' we have every right to be scared..we just all take it to the extreme

applesewer

Yea, its like I don’t think the fear of being judged is that irrational. Maybe we take it to the extreme, but still another name for apocalypse is “judgement day”. And justice is such a mega part of human beings and the world. I doubt anybody, not just SAer’s, like being judged, or embarrassed, or criticised, or stared at etc. We just fear it more than most.

Anonymous

the examined life...

I find it so amusing, the personality of people with S.A.D... I just found this site recently and reading your posts and what you have to say seems hauntingly familiar; it feels so close to home. All of you seem well read, which is no surprise, because i can imagine we've taken to books for campanions when the outside world seems to busy to listen. I'm not saying we dont have friends, because we do, but, personally speaking, i find it harder to make friends as i grow older... I'm only comfortable with those that have knnwn me for ages. I was wondering if you guys fell more into reading because you were looking for an answer to the pain you felt? sort of like research... or an obsession.. i think for me, and there's no point in lying, it's an obsession. Obsession can lead to genius (or so i've been told-actual i've read :p ). Anyway, i'm not ashamed of living!!! I dont agree with it too much though. The topic was about shame and i decided to use that "word", it's also fear, i do know that.. It's about fear of scrutiny ... fear of being judged as im sure you know. What i've realized after pursueing it for some time now is that : what can't be cured must be endured... and we should start letting go... laugh out your humanity, it so absurd...

GettingThere

Re: the examined life...

St.Anger said:
I find it so amusing, the personality of people with S.A.D... I just found this site recently and reading your posts and what you have to say seems hauntingly familiar; it feels so close to home. All of you seem well read, ...

I don't think that I have encountered an SP sufferer who wasn't at least reasonably bright (I could be wrong). Perhaps we are overly analytical ?
SP the thinking person's phobia. :lol:

Anonymous

worrydoll said:
shame...shame..shame...nope im shameless...i dont really feel shame..oh yeah..that thing..not gonna tell ya...anyway im forgiven..why bother carrying around shame?

Amen. oh wise wise lady. 8)

We all experience these feelings. if we would not feel guilt sometimes we would be too much of a psychos. (bad ones, not genius). But I still stick to worry's reply. Don't carry every word you know. there are words too overwhealming to think on their meanings. and they are all relative to external analysis. let's say a word for example: CHOCOLATE.
I would carry that one.

Anonymous

Re: the examined life...

St.Anger said:
I find it so amusing, the personality of people with S.A.D...quote]

WTF? Aren't we all different? i mean zodiac signal personalitis., plus chinese zodiac personality. ( thats as far as zodiac goes. it doesnt help to tell you your daily tasks, but to give a hint of yourself ) plus external factors., plus present circunstances, plus past experiences. i think the personality of people with SAD is none in particular, nice people, angry people, happy people sometimes and sad some others just like people without SA. SA share symptoms, but no personality at all if im right, and i hope i am. i forgot to mention gens and scientifical stuff about personality. we are individuals. none is equal. i find amusing some personalities, yes. but you don't need to have SA to amuse somebody with your persona. I think i'm off the topic now. but again WTF. Definetely not helping with the comment MR Anger. I mean... you know what i mean. cheers.

Fredscars

i took no offence from st angers post, but more compliment. He spoke a lot of sense. one thing I have noticed is that the maqjority of us seem very philosophical and thoughtful. This grows in us because we think about ourselves alot ( i think) how can you take offecne of someone saying we all sem intelligent?

Anonymous

Fredscarecrow said:
i took no offence from st angers post, but more compliment. He spoke a lot of sense. one thing I have noticed is that the maqjority of us seem very philosophical and thoughtful. This grows in us because we think about ourselves alot ( i think) how can you take offecne of someone saying we all sem intelligent?

I didnt mean to offend anyone, and "Guest" was right, we are all different. I used "personality" too broad ( i guess it's more of: "aspects of our personalities" are similar-which i think can't be denied). S.A.D. is psychological, not biological; it is a product of our experiences (how the world shaped our way of reacting and thinking) not our genes. Does anyone think it's hereditary? Is it possible that we are predisoposed to being "shy" (is there a "shy" gene)? i dont really think so, but im always open to new theories. anyway, i dont mean to offend, i just want to get to the bottom of this. I think we're moving off the "shame" topic now. I'm going to jump to the eye-contact list because that shit bugs the shit out of me.

Shadow

Anonymous said:
Fredscarecrow said:

I didnt mean to offend anyone, and "Guest" was right, we are all different. I used "personality" too broad ( i guess it's more of: "aspects of our personalities" are similar-which i think can't be denied). S.A.D. is psychological, not biological; it is a product of our experiences (how the world shaped our way of reacting and thinking) not our genes. Does anyone think it's hereditary? Is it possible that we are predisoposed to being "shy" (is there a "shy" gene)? i dont really think so, but im always open to new theories. anyway, i dont mean to offend, i just want to get to the bottom of this. I think we're moving off the "shame" topic now. I'm going to jump to the eye-contact list because that shit bugs the shit out of me.

I think SA is (or can be) both psychological and biological. For some people it may simply be psychological but for many I think its both. I saw a documentary awhile back about fear and the thing I found interesting is that in some people the fear centre of our brain in overactive and has fewer connections to the thinking part of our brain. Normally when a person experiences fear, the thinking part of our brain is able to look at the fear, determine wherever it is rational or irrational, and if appropiate, override the instinctial response. But when the fear centre is overactive and has fewer connections to the thinking part of the brain, it simply overwhelmes the thinking brain and the person responds as though they are in iminate danger. The thinking part of the brain is what enables us to override our natural fear response, without it we would always respond as though the fear was real. So obviously the fewer connections we have between the fear and the thinking parts of our brain the less control we have over our response. New connections can be formed but if the fear centre is overactive the person will always be more fearful.

In some people the fear centre is underactive. These people tend to engage in high risk behaviour (extreme sports, race car driving, etc) because they need that extra level of danger to feel the same amount of fear as 'normal' people. Our very nature is built around fear, we need fear to survive.

I hope I've expained things properly. I saw the program some time ago.

GettingThere said:
I don't think that I have encountered an SP sufferer who wasn't at least reasonably bright (I could be wrong). Perhaps we are overly analytical ?
SP the thinking person's phobia.

I think SA tends to make us very analytical.